Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 04:25 PM

24 posts, read 53,680 times

Advertisements

Okay so as sad as it is, I have never been anywhere outside of California and I'm in my 20s. so I want to bring a friend along and visit NYC during my spring break and I honestly wouldn't know where to start as far as looking at the landmarks and such.

I want to visit Statue of Liberty, Time Square area, NY style pizza , Ground Zero area, anything that is of historical importance because I'm a history buff. I'm also a movie buff so Tiffanys would be on my list just for fun Also Gangs of NY film(I know thats 1860s NYC but any remnants that are still around) either in museums or whatnot would be the most fascinating for me.

Anyway, any advice on where I should possibly stay, are there any basic really cheap motels in the area, like a motel 6 or something that my friend and I can share for the time we are in Manhattan area? We'll probably do 4 day 5 night trip. I heard you can pretty much take public transportation and theres no such thing as renting vehicles(a shock since I am a Los Angeles native and I have to rely on my car everywhere I go)

Thanks I know these threads are common but I just need some quick advice on what I can do. I actually would love to visit NYC around Christmas because of the "winter" feeling or New Years but I'll save that for another trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
A reasonable/cheap place to stay in Manhattan is the Vanderbilt Y YMCA of Greater New York: Manhattan NYC Hostels near Grand Central | Vanderbilt Guest Rooms .
Since you mention that you are a movie buff you might want to check the Museum of TV & Radio Home | The Paley Center for Media in Manhattan or alternately the Museum of the Moving Image Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.
Speaking of museums, the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art is a must for art lovers and the American Museum of Natural History is also great. I also suggest the Museum of the City of NY Museum of the City of New York (which portrays the history of NYC). These 3 museums have a suggested contribution for admission so you can pay what you wish.
If you take the ferry to visit the Statue of Liberty, I suggest you also visit the Ellis Island Museum, which gives you a look at the history of immigration to the USA. (There is no additional cost to visit Ellis Island as it is the same ferry to the Statue of Liberty just the next stop). If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you can the Staten Island ferry for free which gives you an excellent view of the Statue of Liberty (and you can take great photos).
While in Lower Manhattan, I suggest you visit Trinity Church (with its old graveyard) and the South Street Seaport.
Another great NYC landmark to visit is the Empire State Bldg. for a great view of the city.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM

922 posts, read 3,860,716 times
There are no motels in Manhattan, although you will find that many of the basic budget hotel chains have locations there such as The Comfort Inn, Best Western etc. However, you will find the prices for these places to be much higher than you find in other parts of the country.

There are also quite a few non-chain local hotels in various price ranges. The Edison, Milford Plaza and Hotel Pennsylvania are some of the most inexpensive ones. You'll find the accommodations in these places to be basic and the rooms are small, but they are acceptable if you lower your expectations a little.

One way to save money on accommodations is to stay at a budget chain hotel in New Jersey and take the train into Manhattan to see the sights. The downside to this approach is that you are basically commuting to your vacation; boarding a train in the morning with a crowd of commuters and returning in the evening. IMO this really detracts from your enjoyment.

You are correct in that you will not need to rent a car. In fact, it would be a colossal waste of money. The best way to get around NYC as a tourist is walking and using subways and buses. You really don't even need to take cabs, but it might be more convenient for some activities, especially later at night.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
One way to save money on accommodations is to stay at a budget chain hotel in New Jersey and take the train into Manhattan to see the sights. The downside to this approach is that you are basically commuting to your vacation; boarding a train in the morning with a crowd of commuters and returning in the evening. IMO this really detracts from your enjoyment.
There are also budget chain hotels in Long Island City, Queens which is a short subway ride away from Manhattan.
Long Island City New York hotels, Comfort Inn hotel minutes from Manhattan, hotel in Long Island City NY
Holiday Inn Express Midtown Tunnel, Long Island City Hotels : Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Midtown Tunnel - Yahoo! Travel

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I'm a big advocate of buying/reading guide books, where someone has compiled a ton of information in one place. There may be things that you haven't even thought to ask about, or perhaps in forums people aren't in tune with your particular interests. Plus which they give you a collection of maps, and you can write notes in them. (Speaking of interests, you might want to check out places like the American Museum of the Moving Image, and depending when your spring break is, the New Directors film festival might be going on.)

Check into the possibility of either renting a dorm room from a university, or a quickie short sublet via Craigslist (being cautious about possible scams, of course). If you're at one of the big schools in California, you might see if there's an active alumni group in NYC that could help.

By the way, spring will likely be much better than Christmastime.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
I agree that Ellis Island is a must-see if you are going to the Statue of Liberty.

Since you say that you are a history buff, in addition to the excellent museums suggested by Chava61, check out:

The New York Historical Society on the Upper Westside - it is really a museum not just a "society" and it's close to the American Museum of Natural History
Near the Museum of New York City is the Museum of the American Indian (all located on "museum row")
The Tenament Museum
The Subway Museum in Brooklyn
Take a tour of Radio City and Lincoln Center - you will get to see the inside of these magnificent buildings without having to buy pricey tickets to see an event.

Now for homework, I would suggest that you go to your local public library and through interlibrary loan, order DVD copies of the Barry Lewis/David Hartman PBS walking tours series - A Walk Through the Bronx, A Walk Around Brooklyn, etc. There is a "Walking Tour" DVD (originally aired on PBS) for every borough in New York City, another just on the downtown part of New York City, another on Dutch New York City, another on Harlem. The series shows famous historical landmarks and how it looked "then" and now. It will help you decide what you would like to see and what you would like to eliminate during your visit during your exploration of the history of New York.

Plan and schedule carefully. You won't be able to see everything during this first trip.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM

24 posts, read 53,680 times
Thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions! I'll definitely check out the PBS NYC DVD series and plan out what I want to do the first time there.

Like I said, because I work in film theory,photography film production in general and digital media I will intend make the most out of taking my own pictures of the city, spend a lot of time absorbing the atmosphere and energy since it'll be my first time there. I take pictures every 5 minutes as annoying as that sounds to some people and I'm a big fan of classic american cinema(Scorsese, and Woody Allen come to mind and a lot of their films make me fall in love with the city)

I'm not so much into materialism, clubbing or shopping or fancy dining so much, if I can get by with a bag of potato chips and a ham sandwich there I would.....(though like I said, the pizza thing I really want to do)

I really want to explore the city, cover as much ground as I can, ideally it would be nice to set aside a budget for a broadway show(I'm a big fan of theater) though I'm sure the tickets would be over 100 dollars or at least get a tour of some of these magnificent theaters.

I am comfortable with subways since I take them all the time in Los Angeles even though they smell bad and strangers say random things to me(keeps life interesting).

YMCA hostel seems to make sense for us since we are primarily using the housing for sleeping and that's about it, nothing fancy, just as long as it's easily accessible for us via bus/walk/train/subway and that's all that matters.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
As you probably know, the film industry started in NY/NJ before it moved west to CA. Since you say that you are a film buff, then you should visit The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria where there are exhibits about the early years of film and Thomas Edison. Before you go, check the days and hours that it is open because they are fairly limited. Admission is only $7.00.

Although you say that you are used to taking the subway, the NYC subway system is much more extensive and older. I've been taking them all my life and every now and then, I still need to ask someone for information. When you get here, get a subway map at one of the stations, but still be prepared for the need to ask for directions. Check out other threads on this forum for recommended pizza places.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post

I really want to explore the city, cover as much ground as I can, ideally it would be nice to set aside a budget for a broadway show(I'm a big fan of theater) though I'm sure the tickets would be over 100 dollars or at least get a tour of some of these magnificent theaters.

I am comfortable with subways since I take them all the time in Los Angeles even though they smell bad and strangers say random things to me(keeps life interesting).

YMCA hostel seems to make sense for us since we are primarily using the housing for sleeping and that's about it, nothing fancy, just as long as it's easily accessible for us via bus/walk/train/subway and that's all that matters.
The YMCA Vanderbilt hostel is located at E. 47th Street which is a short walk from Grand Central Station and therefore has very good subway access. (This hostel has a cafeteria and a gym.)
Speaking of the subway, you might want to purchase an unlimited Metrocard which is good on all local buses & subway lines. The unlimited daily Metrocard is $8.25 and the unlimited weekly Metrocard is $27.
As for seeing a Broadway show you will find some discounted tickets (50% off which could come out to less than $100)to some Broadway/off-Broadway shows at the TKTS booth in Times Square sold only on the day of the show you want to see: TKTS Discount Booths .

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 124,146 times
If you're a Gangs of New York fan, the closest you're going to get to the experience is a tour of the Tenement Museum http://tenement.org. Be aware that it's by guided tour only, and you need to make an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City