Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times

Advertisements

Might I recommend Columbus also? It's a nice place. Very young and really fun. Cheap too. Ohio State has a great nigh life scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM

35 posts, read 122,925 times
But I will go to NYC it will just be a couple of more years.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,498 times
Dro, just make the move. Don't listen to the people on here, most are completely out of touch with reality. Not everyone lives in Manhattan, has the latest Gucci handbag, drinks $20 martini's every night, needs Starbucks every morning, or has the latest and greatest cell phone.

I moved to NYC years ago with less money than what you currently have and made it work. I would find an additional roommate or two and live in the less hip part of Brooklyn, like Coney Island, Sheepsheads Bay, or Bay Ridge. Once you get here, then start looking for a job. I know people in your situation that work catering or are bartenders just to keep their head above water. I would also go to trade school and learn to do something useful. Heck, even electricians in the city make 100k.

Don't bring a car, learn to cook at home, and don't try to keep up with the Joneses (Manhattan-ites). Look for an apartment that isn't walking distance to the subway and ride the bus. Look for a smalltime landlords, do the leg work yourself, avoid paying a broker fee. But beware, there are thousands of scammers out there. BE CAUTIOUS.

Thousands upon thousands or people move to NYC every year. However, the city is a vicious animal that eat you and spit you out if you aren't careful. Personally, you couldn't pay me to move back to NYC. Don't care for the attitudes, COL, weather, and the people. But hey, to each his own. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
if you want a "training" NYC, do Philly... you could get a place for 3-400/mo as a house share, you still have a sub, its still much better than your hick town, and it's a little more blue collar. Plus, you can get to NYC for $20 round trip to set up your life there when you want to move.

BTW, guys.. $100/night for a hostel.. ha ha ha.. try 30. You're scaring the kid. In all reality, though, I make around $50k, and I still would go broke in NYC in a minute. Baby steps, buddy. You'll get there soon enough.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I say that probably the bad economy plays a big part in the college degree requirement because when I lived in NYC, you definitely could do just fine without a college degree, depending on which industry you choose. Non-lawyer legal staff, for example, can make upwards of 80K, and at the time did not require degrees. (Probably now they do.) Experience still counted for something. As for not living in Manhattan, someone making below 80K can live in Manhattan, especially if they are bunking with someone.

You don't have to live in Manhattan to have the NYC experience. There are many, many people who do not make 100K a year. I still say save up, because with no real savings, no job, no anything, you'll just be another broke shmoe thinking that the streets are paved with gold.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
40xs? Who the hell makes that much.
NYC is the most expensive city in the US.

Apartment rents in Manhattan are outrageous and not much cheaper in the surrounding boroughs. Those that decide they have to have a Manhattan address are paying in many cases $2000 - $3000 a month for small apartments that can barely fit one person much less two (or more depending on location). Now because Midtown and lower Manhattan are so expensive people are spreading across the water to downtown Brooklyn....driving up the cost to live there. Then add in credit checks, needing a good paying job to afford to pay the high rent, carfare that NYC transit increases each year (usually).

This is a fascinating city to live in but the bottom line is that it takes money and the more money the better.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM

35 posts, read 122,925 times
Default Cheap Apartments in nyc?

Im 17 right now and really want to go to nyc when I turn 18...But I need to find an apartment around 600 or 700??? Is it possible?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
As we all told you earlier this week, it is possible IF you understand what you're getting into:

1. $600 month rent would get you a share with 1-2 other people in a 2 bedroom place in an outer borough (the parts of Queens, Brooklyn, and The Bronx that are 30-60 minutes from Manhattan by train). Since you've never been to NYC, these are parts ofthe city you haven't seen on tv or in the movies. No big skyscrapers, mass transit is more spread out so you'll need to take a bus to the closest subway stop. Lots of working class neighborhoods and lots of neighborhoods that are ethnic/ immigrant communities (ie, Russians, Polish, Italians, Hasidic Jews, Dominicans, etc). Parts of these neighborhoods don't look any different gthan working class Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburg- except Manhattan is an hour away. This also assumes you find people willing to take on an 18 year old as a roomate.

2. You have a letter of income verification from a NY/NJ/CT employer stating you make 40x the rent in annual income= $24,000 to qualify for the $600 share. Have you figured out what job will pay thst much for a kid with a high school diploma and no plans to go to college or trade school?

3. You understand that after paying federal, state, and city taxes, you will net $1,500 a month. This is poverty level for a high cost of living city like NYC. You will have to budget very carefully.
$1,500=
$600 rent
$150 share of apt bills
$50 cell phone
$100 monthly metro card. You cannot afford cabs. Also, in the outer boroughs, you aren't likely to live close to a subway station since they're more spread out. You'll need to bus or walk a good distance to the closest one.
$600 to live on= $150/week for groceries and living expenses (haircuts, laundry).

$150/wk may sound like a lot where you are now, but do you have any idea how expensive groceries and laundromats are in NYC??

There is absolutely NO money in your budget to enjoy NYC- no money to go out to dinner with friends, to go to a club or movies, to go to a museum or game, to join a gym, to date, to buy any new clothes (hope you have a winter wardrobe and snow boots), to buy furniture or home furnishings (which I doubt you own at 17).

The most scary thing is you have NO money for savings or for health insurance. How will you go to the dentist? What if you do need to go to the ER? How will you pay the $1,000-10,000 hospital bill?

How will you afford to go home for Christmas or if there's a family emergency?

This is a really bad plan and you are not going to have the NYC life you're dreaming of at 18. You're going to be working (if you find a job), sleeping, and eating ramen noodles in basically a suburb thousands of miles from your family and friends. Unless you find walking around in 20 degree weather "fun", it's not easy to experience the fun free things in NYC for a good chunk of the year.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I could of sworn I gave you a nice budget earlier in the week..

Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
my thoughts:

-don't settle for the other cities on your list. nyc is the best for a reason. instead of wasting money going to nowheresville you should just stay where you are and save save save until you have at least 10k. listen to what these ppl are telling you and alter your plan. never give up on your dreams. these ppl are trying to help you out.
-you need more than 2000. save at least 10,000.
-go to college. you aren't making it without a degree. a degree nowadays is halfway worthless anyway. imagine trying to find a job without one.
-the job market is garbage. this is why you have 10000 to fall back on while looking.
-get a laptop (because in your room that you're renting, you'll hopefully have wireless internet which you will be using to job hunt).
-check craigslist for SUBLETS once you have 10000 saved up and a degree.
-have your resume ready and be ready to search all day and night for jobs on the net.

you don't have to spend money to enjoy nyc. ppl watch, walk around your borough, take the train and explore other boroughs, etc.

good luck and be smart.

oh and have you thought about applying for colleges in nyc? you can work while going to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City