Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There isn't a single neighborhood in the city whose demographics haven't changed. I, for example, was born in Brownsville...which didn't look the same way 50 years ago as it does now (I plead guilty to understatement!) And as regards Harlem, apparently there are quite a few people who don't seem to realize that it was a white neighborhood long before it was a black one (the original clue is right there in the name: it was named by the Dutch--who founded this town--after the city of Haarlem). So things are changing uptown--no big deal. Come back in another hundred years and see how different things will be then!

Good point Fred! Look in the history books and you'll see that Harlem at one point was an ALL white neighborhood. So please don't get mad if you see the demographic changing in Harlem as Harlem does not belong to anyone despite the overwhelming population of blacks in it currently. Things change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Moderator cut: Trolling

White Population Rises in Manhattan
"For the first time since the 1970s, a majority of Manhattan’s population is non-Hispanic white, according to an analysis of census estimates.

The white share of the population, which had dipped to about 40 percent as recently as the 1990s, climbed to nearly 51 percent last year. The rest of the borough’s residents were 24 percent Hispanic, 14 percent black and 11 percent Asian.

In 2000, the proportions were 46 percent non-Hispanic white, 27 percent Hispanic, 16 percent black and 10 percent Asian."

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-07-2010 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Moderator cut: Trolling

White Population Rises in Manhattan
"For the first time since the 1970s, a majority of Manhattan’s population is non-Hispanic white, according to an analysis of census estimates.

The white share of the population, which had dipped to about 40 percent as recently as the 1990s, climbed to nearly 51 percent last year. The rest of the borough’s residents were 24 percent Hispanic, 14 percent black and 11 percent Asian.

In 2000, the proportions were 46 percent non-Hispanic white, 27 percent Hispanic, 16 percent black and 10 percent Asian."
Interesting to see this change. Are those new percentages based on thee 2010 census? Did the 2010 census results come out yet?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,186 times
imma be the only real guy here. This change is terrible. And gentrification sucks

Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Mod cut

fyi in the nineteenth-century Harlem was predominantly white before southern blacks migrated north en masse. Everything comes full circle.

As Population Shifts in Harlem, Blacks Lose Their Majority - NYTimes.com
"Lose" their majority? Hmmm... Sounds like they are framing it as a territorial competition. I don't see changes in neighborhoods this way. This is not a race war or payback; it's just a natural phase or progression. Imo...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Wow, didn't see THAT coming!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
imma be the only real guy here. This change is terrible. And gentrification sucks
I'm a be real too...why is the change terrible and gentrification bad? Why? Because you're a "brotha"? Keep it 100 playa.

For me being latino and from the Bronx and who longs for a more desirable and safe NY, this type of change I think is great for the city. The increase population of white people is consistent with the increasing desirability of the city. This is the way it goes: The more white people in the neighborhood, the more desirable it is. The more black people in the neighborhood, the LESS desirable it is. Examples of these type of neighborhoods are all around us. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out...just look around you.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
I see that you say you're from Crown Heights. Look at it this way: if things didn't always change, where do you think you'd be living now? Because your family probably would've been kept out of that neighborhood.

Change is the history of New York City. Not everyone likes living through such history, but then as we say around here, waddaya gonna do?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,186 times
@victor im gonna assume you've neva cracked open a book for now.whenever POOR black ppl move in the neighborhood it is undesirable.whenever POOR latinos move in its undesirable.whenever POOR white ppl move in its undesirable. iight. Next, let me tell u what happens when gentrification occurs. Culture is lost. So are homes and small business native to the area. let me tell u about desirable.its expensive.rest assure, the new majority has money.but where does that leave the poor?thats y i hate gentrification

Old 07-14-2010, 02:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I'm a be real too...why is the change terrible and gentrification bad? Why? Because you're a "brotha"? Keep it 100 playa.

For me being latino and from the Bronx and who longs for a more desirable and safe NY, this type of change I think is great for the city. The increase population of white people is consistent with the increasing desirability of the city. This is the way it goes: The more white people in the neighborhood, the more desirable it is. The more black people in the neighborhood, the LESS desirable it is. Examples of these type of neighborhoods are all around us. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out...just look around you.
your a latino right??? so do you realize your comment is by far the most stupidest right???

how many latino areas are desirable?? in fact nyc has more desirable black areas then latinos.

name me one nice hispanic majority area in nyc that is desirable ???? i can name a few black ones.

and i dont hate latinos but i hate latinos like this fool. talking bad about blacks when his own people are in the same if not worst condition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City