Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,992,301 times

Advertisements

NYC schools are a main reason why I can't stand Bloomberg.

Here's one example. He took away like half the parking permits in the schools to make the city more "green". It's pointless. So now, teachers are circling around the blocks for sometimes 20 minutes at a time looking for a spot; and therefore increasing the pollution in the city from the emissions from the cars. Makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,427,828 times
Rachel...I cannot believe that you would not vote for a Mayor of NYC and ignore all the good things he has down, and will do for the city, because he tried to rein in the huge number of placards and all the abuse that came with them. We live in NYC, so when parking permits are pulled, you should be able to use public transportation with some degree of ease. If this were Bofo, Oklahoma, where there is no reliable public transportation, then I would give your gripe more weight.

But come on, his actions to rein in the hundreds of thousands of random placards that are all over this city and are abused profusely is a good thing. How about not circling for 20 minutes, and take public transportation?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,307,286 times
Wiener is the better candidate but the NYC democrats usually play a wait your turn politics as usual game and with Thompson's close election it will be hard for them to deny him a second chance.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Rachel...I cannot believe that you would not vote for a Mayor of NYC and ignore all the good things he has down, and will do for the city, because he tried to rein in the huge number of placards and all the abuse that came with them. We live in NYC, so when parking permits are pulled, you should be able to use public transportation with some degree of ease. If this were Bofo, Oklahoma, where there is no reliable public transportation, then I would give your gripe more weight.

But come on, his actions to rein in the hundreds of thousands of random placards that are all over this city and are abused profusely is a good thing. How about not circling for 20 minutes, and take public transportation?
Don't want to divert away from the thread too much, but a lot of teachers live far away from the schools they work in. While I agree with Bloombergs policy when it comes to parking privilgies that were being abused, I don't think teachers were the right place to aim the venom.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 AM

NYur I don't know too much about Weiner because he dropped out before he even had a chance to run. But I would be willing to listen to just about anyone at this point.

Regarding your second comment I would generally agree with that, but Bloomie was making a statement that enough was enough. When the teachers took the job, they knew where it was and there was never a guarantee that A-they would have parking for them or B-the city would not make it prohibitively expensive to drive (i.e. congestion pricing coming soon! and tolls going up up and away).

But let's stick to topic...Thompson in 2013. I say PLEASE NO.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,151,830 times
Quote:
He focused primarily on a strategy of DIVIDING NYC through race and classism in order to secure votes, a classic old school Democratic ploy. ....
While I agree that Thompson getting elected mayor would be a disaster for the city, I couldn't disagree more that the politics of division is a Democratic tactic.The Republicans have actually been doing it longer...and are much better at it.
I think the only reason why Thompson came even close was because nobody was paying attention and everyone assumed that Bloomberg was a shoo- in. His( Thompson's) coming close will work against him in the future because everyone will be paying attention and work against him.
The election is 4 years away and by then better candidates( both Dem and Rep) will emerge, possibly someone not even on anyone's radar screen right now.
Thompson's closeness was a fluke of the particular circumstances of the recent election and will never be repeated in a real election with Bloomberg out of the picture.If by some chance he actually gets the nomination( and I don't think he will),he will lose to whoever the Republican candidate is.We have no problem electing Republican mayors in NYC.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,693,112 times
Quote:
But let's stick to topic...Thompson in 2013. I say PLEASE NO.
Actually, we may not have to worry about such a thing. I believe there's a good chance that John Liu will run for Mayor next time around. Had he done so this time, Thompson might well not even have gotten the Democratic nomination.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM

Bluedog, when I said an old school Democratic ploy, I meant specifically NYC Democrats. Thompson was following the well worn path of the "us vs them" strategy (this time it was rich vs everyone else). This usually works, but NYC has had enough of that and don't want to go back to Dinkins 1991...and that's exactly what will happen if Thompson is Mayor in 2013.

Hopefully though, you are both right and Thompson will be KOed long before then.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM

203 posts, read 666,590 times
Quote:
I don't think teachers were the right place to aim the venom.
Don't think he was aiming them at teachers...just getting rid of those placards for employees in all agencies.

Wiener was going to run but seemed to be scared off by Bloomberg's money. He may have regretted this being that the race was so close. He'll probably run next time around. I agree that many of the votes For Thompson was more of a vote Against Bloomberg (due to the term limits issue)

Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Thompson will have some built in advantages next time. People will be a little more familiar with him this time around and if he is smart he can come in with some actual ideas next time. It all depends who the Dems get behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City