Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM

9 posts, read 34,340 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Washington Heights and planning to move to the Bronx by the Summer. Im mainly looking to move around the area of E 196 and Grand Concourse. Is the area of the Bronx safe? sometimes I will be coming home late or going somewhere late so im also concerned about taking the train at the Kingsbridge Road station on the D line. Ive been to the area several times during the day and it looks like a poor area that has crime. Also, besides this area how is the whole Bronx in general in terms of crime and transportation? Ive heard that the Bronx is the poorest borough of NYC and also has the highest crime rate of the boroughs, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy87 View Post
I currently live in Washington Heights and planning to move to the Bronx by the Summer. Im mainly looking to move around the area of E 196 and Grand Concourse. Is the area of the Bronx safe? sometimes I will be coming home late or going somewhere late so im also concerned about taking the train at the Kingsbridge Road station on the D line. Ive been to the area several times during the day and it looks like a poor area that has crime. Also, besides this area how is the whole Bronx in general in terms of crime and transportation? Ive heard that the Bronx is the poorest borough of NYC and also has the highest crime rate of the boroughs, is this true?
There is no " in general".
The Bronx is a big place and as with the rest of the city it has some very nice areas and some not so nice areas.
The Grand Concourse is better North of Bedford Park Blvd (200th St) though the area you are talking about isn't the worst and is not any worse than much of Washington Heights.
If you have been to the Kingsbridge Rd train station at night and it makes you uncomfortable then the neighborhood is not for you.If you haven't been there at night I would suggest you do so.It is the only way to tell.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy87 View Post

196 and grand concourse is not that good of any area. I recommend going a little further north like the Norwood Section of the Bronx. You can take the uptown #4 train to Mosholu Parkway or the D train to Norwood station.

For decades, the Bronx has received a lot of negative press. However, the Bronx has come a long way. Lots of thing has changed. The Bronx has much less "undesirable" residents than it did say 15 years ago. Little by little its getting better. You have a mix of your good and bad areas but in general, its not as bad as some people make it out to be. Rent is the cheapest in all 5 boroughs and you get more bang for your buck in apartment size. Go on craigslist and type in NORWOOD in the search box and you see many postings for it. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
If you live in Washington Heights then just about anywhere in the Bronx can be a step-up. Why do I say that? Well...Washington Heights IS a poor area with lots of crime..and the lifestyle/population is very similar in many ways to the Western portion of the Bronx: lots of walk-up tenement buildings, many in not the best condition, similar population of people (lots of Dominicans these days), and similar amenities/retail (bodegas, 99 cent stores etc).

Why is it a step-up from Washigton heights: the rent is cheaper...so you are paying less for essentially the same thing. You have a better diversity of housing options, instead of just rows of tenement buildings, you can have better access to manhattan if you choose the lower concourse (it is closer to manhattan and there is a metro-north stop), and you have access to an overall more affordable lifestyle. If you choose further east in the bronx, you will also be able to enjoy a single family home, garage, and yard, for a reasonable/affordable price, with less crime issues than you face in the Heights.

I find it very strange in general that someone coming from Washington Heights would identify 196st and Concourse as poor and seemingly higher crime, when the area mirrors Washington Heights in most ways.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,343 times
I live nearby...it looks like a good neighborhood to me. I've never had any trouble here.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
It is a low income high crime area. Move further up, it's much better than 196th st.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If you live in Washington Heights then just about anywhere in the Bronx can be a step-up. Why do I say that? Well...Washington Heights IS a poor area with lots of crime..and the lifestyle/population is very similar in many ways to the Western portion of the Bronx: lots of walk-up tenement buildings, many in not the best condition, similar population of people (lots of Dominicans these days), and similar amenities/retail (bodegas, 99 cent stores etc).

Why is it a step-up from Washigton heights: the rent is cheaper...so you are paying less for essentially the same thing. You have a better diversity of housing options, instead of just rows of tenement buildings, you can have better access to manhattan if you choose the lower concourse (it is closer to manhattan and there is a metro-north stop), and you have access to an overall more affordable lifestyle. If you choose further east in the bronx, you will also be able to enjoy a single family home, garage, and yard, for a reasonable/affordable price, with less crime issues than you face in the Heights.

I find it very strange in general that someone coming from Washington Heights would identify 196st and Concourse as poor and seemingly higher crime, when the area mirrors Washington Heights in most ways.
Maybe the person lives in a nicer part of Wash Heights and has not really been around the whole neighborhood? But even if you lived in a nicer part you still have to take public transport that exposes you to some not as nice areas. I dunno. I'm just supposing, I'm with you that is seems a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City