Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times

Advertisements

Critical Care - The Fall of St. Vincent’s Hospital Manhattan - NYTimes.com

I don't understand how a hospital in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the whole country is bleeding so much money that they may have to close. How they could have allowed the situation to get so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:00 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,498 times
Despite what people may think, its common for hospitals to lose money especially when so many of the people being treated there have no insurance are here illegally. The hospital must treat everyone no matter what the ability to pay is, and the cost of hospital care without reimbursement is enough to put any hospital under. It's sad really. I'm sure another hospital system will probably buy the building and put something there.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
It's looking doubtful that it will get saved. A hospital system was interested, but pulled out. This is the second bankruptcy filing since 2004. The clinic and illegals have drained it dry, and I assume there must have been administration problems as well. A loved one works there and is very, very worried. It's sister hospital, St. Vincent's Staten Island, went bankrupt a few years ago and was bought out.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
Maybe the U.S. Government could help - we need good hospitals. I am trying to move to New York, & I would be happy to work for low pay if that will help. I have experience & education in accounting and IT; surely there's something I could do.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
The hospital has an enormous debt - around $700 million. The government is in no position to bail out the hospital. Especially one that is run under the auspices of the Catholic church. Hospitals are generally losing propositions. All very sad.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM

302 posts, read 590,590 times
This is sad but no surprise at all. Many of the hospitals in New York and in US are losing money yearly. I don't know how true this is but a doc once told me that the only NYC hospital in a good financial position is Montefiore-Einstein, and all the others are in the red. Government help? No way. As matter of fact, hospitals lose money on medicaid/medicare patients because of the pitiful reimbursements, and now the government wants to decrease reimbursements even more. Temporarily, it will seem like they are spending less on healthcare, but the situation will just get worse as hospitals lose more money. I see the government as a struggling restaurant who loses money year after year, and it doesn't look into how to resolve some of the fundamental problems but rather jack up the prices on the menu and cut corners on the food. In the long run, the government solutions will not work.

And they have money to save the banks, sigh...

Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
A lot of hospitals are mismanaged though. It's easy to blame it on illegals but I think that's just one part of the deeper issue of rising healthcare costs across the board and just plain bad management. Every time I go to a hospital I just see money seeping out of everywhere from the inept union-tied employees, redundancy, poor distribution of manpower, I could go on...it's a huge mess...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
The government gives hospitals some money, but not nearly enough to cover the bills of the uninsured. That's a big part of the problem. I'm sure mismanagement has a hand as well. The Catholic church is not going to do anything to save it. They didn't do it with the former St. Vincent's Staten Island a few years ago. Someone else came in and bought it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
two of my good friends currently work there and my wife used to work there. its a shame because its an institution down in that area. i guess NYU is going to get flooded now?

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: No soliciting - for anything

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
two of my good friends currently work there and my wife used to work there. its a shame because its an institution down in that area. i guess NYU is going to get flooded now?
NYU Medical Center is nowhere near St. Vincent's. It's just about alone on the lower WEST side. Further downtown is New York-Downtown (formerly Beekman Downtown)...but on the West Side there's St. Clare's (a hospital that fills me with trepidation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City