Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 24,758 times

Advertisements

How can ny apartments under 2000/month not be rent stabilized? I was told by real estate brokers that most apartments they would be able to show me wouldn't be stabilized even if under 2000/mo. Yet the law has this 2000 limit before can charge market rent. I would like to apply for scrie for my next apartment but can't if it's market rate. Can anyone explain why so many under 2000 apts can avoid stabilization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:42 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
they are co-ops or condo's that people are renting out ... once the origional tenants move out and a building has co-op or condo status then they are no longer controlled or stabilized.

even if you found a stabilized apartment odds are its at market rate or close by now,. just because a building is stabilized dosnt mean your getting it at below market rate.. that below market rate only happened if you were in an apartment decades and caught the early years when rent increases were very puny ,,, once an apartment flips a few times today its at market rate and the increases today are a very real world 3% or so.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
alot of times the legal rent ends up passing $2000 (which destabilizes the unit) at some point yet market rate could be 1600 for example and that would be the advertised rent

Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 24,758 times
thanks for replies. Does that mean that in the past an apt that's now 1600, did perviously rent for 2000 when the economy was better. Then the rent was progressively lowered to 1600 to get tenants. So it stays destabilized even tho rent under 2000 now? Or What? Seems strange. Is someone getting paid off, or does this just happen because of the system?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter52 View Post
How can ny apartments under 2000/month not be rent stabilized? I was told by real estate brokers that most apartments they would be able to show me wouldn't be stabilized even if under 2000/mo. Yet the law has this 2000 limit before can charge market rent. I would like to apply for scrie for my next apartment but can't if it's market rate. Can anyone explain why so many under 2000 apts can avoid stabilization?
The legal rent could have passed $2,000 per month but the market rent for the area could be below $2,000 so the landlord gives a preferential rent lower than the $2,000. This is a perfect example why deregulating apartments should NOT be feared by renters. All deregulation does is strip the strict and unfair RS laws from the unit which does NOT translate into higher rent despite what many pro-rent stabilization people think. The market determines the rent price, not the landlord.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Another possibility: As I mentioned in a post on another thread recently,I have a friend who rented an apartment that she was told was " no longer stabilized " but found out after she moved in that it really is.In other words,she was lied to.She checked on the unit with the rent board and found out that the real maximum rent was almost $400.00 less than she had been told and signed a lease on.She took the landlord to court,got the rent rolled back to it's legal level and got a rebate(court ordered) for all of the money she had been overcharged.I have heard that this happens fairly frequently and I think the landlord's might also get fined for this when they get caught.
Bottom line...always do the research with the rent board if you have any question whatsoever about the actual legal rent on any apartment you might be interested in.Don't just take the word of a broker or a landlord.They might not be completely truthful.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Another possibility: As I mentioned in a post on another thread recently,I have a friend who rented an apartment that she was told was " no longer stabilized " but found out after she moved in that it really is.In other words,she was lied to.She checked on the unit with the rent board and found out that the real maximum rent was almost $400.00 less than she had been told and signed a lease on.She took the landlord to court,got the rent rolled back to it's legal level and got a rebate(court ordered) for all of the money she had been overcharged.I have heard that this happens fairly frequently and I think the landlord's might also get fined for this when they get caught.
Bottom line...always do the research with the rent board if you have any question whatsoever about the actual legal rent on any apartment you might be interested in.Don't just take the word of a broker or a landlord.They might not be completely truthful.
That happens more often in Manhattan which is considered "prime real estate" than the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City