Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM

49 posts, read 135,389 times

Advertisements

What was (is) the hardest?

just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,487 times
I moved here over 3 years ago. I guess you could say I have "made it", but I am not sure who things would be if I would have moved here in the last year. It seems 1/3 of the people I know are jobless, and the rest are struggling terribly.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM

155 posts, read 445,605 times
Hard to pinpoint "making it" because its so relative, but my girlfriend and I moved to Brooklyn in the summer of '09 right after college, and we are renting a nice apartment in Carroll Gardens, making about 85k between us and not living profligately, but not struggling either. Neither of us are in jobs that we consider "careers," but we are enjoying ourselves very much and have started to build a life here. So I would say that we're making it, even if we aren't living on Central Park West or something right now.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
What does "make it" mean? Make it rich? I didn't intend to become rich.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Well, I moved here in October of '08 and I now have an apartment I like, an ok job and I am pursuing theater. I'm doing fine, about as well as I was doing before, but with more opportunities to do what I love. It would be nice if I got paid more to do it, but that's life.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
I guess "made it" is a relative term. I moved here last May and my wife moved here in December and we both now have really good jobs(careers), our household income is pretty high(above average) so we can afford a lot in this city. It was a tough road, it took me a few months to find a job and living away from my wife was tough. That was our plan, in order to "make it" here, we both couldn't just move here without jobs so my wife continued to work and live with a friend in Texas while I job searched here. My wife found a job pretty much right away, she's a new CPA. I lived pretty cheaply too and didn't spend too much of my savings while unemployed but it's so mentally taxing not to be employed. I'm glad it worked out, it was a HUGE risk that paid off and now we can just enjoy the city and live our lives. I consider ourselves very lucky, I don't think many who moved here a year ago had our luck/fortune.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times
I moved here abot two years ago with my wife. She's 27, and Im 31. Things are tight, but we have a great household income. She works in publishing and I work in banking. I'm also an actor and since moving here have been on TV and in films. I guess I still view this as a work in progress, but I dont regret it for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City