Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,412 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the area on the eastside manhattan above 96th street and below 110th? How does it feel like living there? Safety and otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM

37 posts, read 167,231 times
It certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a living place. Anything above 96th street on the East Side can get pretty shady. East 110th would be considered Spanish Harlem.

Where are you from? If you are from certain ethnic backgrounds or used to big city living, you might fit in better, but the area is infamous for gang activity, crime, and recent gentrification has caused a lot of tension. Public transportation on the East Side kinda sucks as well - there is only one train line, and don't expect to see a lot of yellow cabs looking for customers up there.

If you are right next to Central Park, it might be ok though.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
too many rats at night for me....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Not really a great neighborhood at all,except on 5th Ave.
Seems like there is always bad stuff going on there.
This is one of the neighborhoods that has me mystified because so many people seem willing to move there but they are afraid to go to ANY neighborhood in The Bronx even to visit.To me,it's a lot creepier than many neighborhoods in The bronx.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
It has really changed alot in the past year or 2. You would really have to check it at various times, at night, on weekends etc. If a person hasn't been around there within the last year they would be surprised. Especially if you just stay within 100th to 110th. There are rats all over Manhattan even in the best sections, on the streets at night. Make sure you have good exterminators, that visit the building regularly, that is the key. Also live away from restaurants and stores selling food, if possible.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,412 times
Wow, thanks for the information! Glad I asked. Didn't know it's so bad. I thought it's just a boring neighborhood. Never knew the rats problem It's a friend who's looking for apt. but can't afford too high rent, so I was going to suggest this neighborhood as it seems the rent becomes much lower immediately after 96th. Now it's definitely out of question. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
It has really changed alot in the past year or 2. You would really have to check it at various times, at night, on weekends etc. If a person hasn't been around there within the last year they would be surprised. Especially if you just stay within 100th to 110th. There are rats all over Manhattan even in the best sections, on the streets at night. Make sure you have good exterminators, that visit the building regularly, that is the key. Also live away from restaurants and stores selling food, if possible.
I haven't been above 96th Street on the East Side for well over a year. What has changed, exactly? Are you referring to all of the new condo buildings... or have nicer stores and restaurants opened as well? I'm glad the area is improving because the area felt pretty rough the last time I was there. I distinctly remember some nice blocks right off of Pleasant Avenue, though.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
It is really not as bad as some are making it out to be. For starters, you will have NO problem getting a yellow cab, I have also seen them in Mott Haven as well (South Bronx). Secondly, there are alot of new developments across that area, and the demographics are alot more mixed, as well as the amenities. Thirdly, there is certainly NOT alot of tension there....that is alot of BS. There was far more tension there when it was a wasteland of crime and drugs..the fact remains that people are protected in the housing that they are in (Projects/rent controlled/stabilized), so all the gentrification in the world is not changing the bottomline. They are in fact happy the area is seeing real investment and find it strange that people woudl pay so much to live there!

Nevertheless, the area is still dense with housing projects, and crime is an issue. However, unless you plan on hanging out with the homies at the Bodega or Projects at 2am, normal common sense/street smarts should be fine. Train lines are not the best though..1 line..and can be crowded.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is one of the neighborhoods that has me mystified because so many people seem willing to move there but they are afraid to go to ANY neighborhood in The Bronx even to visit.To me,it's a lot creepier than many neighborhoods in The bronx.
Trust me .....its cause Harlem is in Manhattan. These people are clueless. Automatically because its in Manhattan is labeled safe. You should see the W.H thread...smh. I agree with you that I find MUCH of Harlem worse than any part of the Bronx. If these people think Harlem is safe then why not go to the Bronx?

Its rediculous. SMH.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yea i went to look at an apt on 106, thinking its all nice. Projects and alot of ghetto people blocking the whole sidewalk. EVERYWHERE! Its not like that to most parts of the Bronx i been. Felt very shady indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: