Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I wouldn't say it's utter nonsense. The average family can't just move to Manhattan with a 6 year old and provide a comfortable environment for that child to grow up in - I thought that was pretty obvious? If you have money and can afford to live in a good neighborhood with a big enough apartment near good schools that's a different story, which is the caveat I was trying to make.

There's no way NYC is as child friendly as London. London is no where near as dense, crowded or busy, that's a fact. London has much better schools, more space, slower pace, more recreational space, less crime, etc. I'm not comparing the experience of wealthy kids, because that's atypical. If you have money, anywhere is easy to grow up.

The bottom line is schools are terrible in much of NYC and if you're going to be living in the city, you have to have good money to provide all of the elements for a 6 year old child to grow up well - you obviously had these resources - many MANY kids in the City don't - so really there's nothing to argue about.
You havent been to london. London has just as much crime as nyc if not more. If this person is moving to manhattan just becareful of the liberals there. If you dont think the sameway those people do dont let them know because they are very intolerant of other views. Manhattan is great a lot to do and see. If you like the big city life of london then you will love manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 16,418 times
You won't be trampled. lol. At least I haven't been...and I'm merely 5'2"... Depending on the area you're in/visit, the crowds are not bad. Times Square has more people there because of the tourists. Christmas time gets really crowded in that area...sort of when you go to a concert and everyone is wanting to get in and get closer to the stage. You get all packed in, people start pressing against one another and you can barely walk, etc... I'm sure you'll want to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and the window displays/Lights at Saks your first Christmas; just keep a hold of your child when you go. It's easy to get separated.
School would be a concern. If you know where your apartment is going to be I'd suggest researching the schools that are convenient to you and see which one fits your child's needs the best. Also, you have to make the decision between public and private schools. If you decide private, then find out the deadlines for applications and all that good stuff (how much $$$). I would get that information before moving...that way you are more prepared.

It's a wonderful city. The energy is great . Good luck and enjoy!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
If this person is moving to manhattan just becareful of the liberals there. If you dont think the sameway those people do dont let them know because they are very intolerant of other views.
This isn't about politics. It's about the city. There are intolerant liberals and intolerant conservatives, etc. Intolerance depends on the person and their passion/stubbornness/views/beliefs...

Plus, what's the fun in thinking the same way?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:45 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I think that it would be a fantastic opportunity for your family to move to New York for a while, especially since the apartment is included. There's so much to do for a family that you would be hard-pressed to be even the slightest bit bored in the city and surrounding region. You'll enjoy New York, and you will have very easy travel to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC, too.

And, if your 6-year-old likes to ride, or wants to learn, they can do so in the city. You can even take trail rides through Central Park through the Riverdale Equestrian Center.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
Greatest city in the world. Come be a part of it. ;-)

Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Welcome to NY!

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Not a chat board.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I will say this, for me, if I had a kid, I wouldn't want to raise him or her in such an urban environment. I like the fact that I grew up in the surburbs with a backyard, friends on the block, riding bikes around, playing ball in the street...those kinds of things. Don't get me wrong I LOVE NYC, I just would not want to raise a family here.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I've lived in London and I was born and raised and live in NYC. London is not that different from NYC. Both have a cornucopia of things for children to do, concerts, theater, and I wouldn't have traded my childhood in NYC for anything. We rode our bikes in Central Park, we had friends all over NYC and I can't imagine growing up where one couldn't get anywhere without a car.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I actually had a teacher that began every class with a little "things happening around NYC" which always turned into "when my son's where little I would take them to the park and they would ride the merry-go-round for HOURS!" He always spoke about how wonderful it is to raise children in the city.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM

172 posts, read 273,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I wouldn't say it's utter nonsense. The average family can't just move to Manhattan with a 6 year old and provide a comfortable environment for that child to grow up in - I thought that was pretty obvious? If you have money and can afford to live in a good neighborhood with a big enough apartment near good schools that's a different story, which is the caveat I was trying to make.

There's no way NYC is as child friendly as London. London is no where near as dense, crowded or busy, that's a fact. London has much better schools, more space, slower pace, more recreational space, less crime, etc. I'm not comparing the experience of wealthy kids, because that's atypical. If you have money, anywhere is easy to grow up.

The bottom line is schools are terrible in much of NYC and if you're going to be living in the city, you have to have good money to provide all of the elements for a 6 year old child to grow up well - you obviously had these resources - many MANY kids in the City don't - so really there's nothing to argue about.
You've never been to London.

London has 22,224 people per square mile.
NYC has 26,403 people per square mile.

They are both very dense cities.

London and New York City are equally nice places to raise kids. In general, there really isn't much of a difference since they're both very large (and busy) cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City