Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM

243 posts, read 681,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Antonio 3## View Post
Where are you sitting in class? All of us probably talk to eachother at class but don't know who eachothers online alter ego is.
true story lol

Last edited by nomad397; 09-14-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM

128 posts, read 268,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Charge View Post
Broom garages are tough to get into when you first get on the job. With it come steady days and making hours quite often. If you like to go out of town then thats the place to be. A lot of guys want to go there to finish probation.
Thanks sir charge and nabz. Im still confused basically dont care about going out of town, as long as I dont do midnights which from what I see this is what most of us are going to do.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM

473 posts, read 931,928 times
From what I understand they gave you guys a dream list of what garages you would like to be in. Don't get your hopes up, you are going to be placed where you are needed unless you have a hook. Be prepared to be sent to the Bronx or Manhattan regardless of where you live. If you think you know someone that may be able to help you now is the time to call them.
FBF tells you that they will try to place you in a district close to home, but it is a lie. The bright side is that you can transfer out in a month.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM

473 posts, read 931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
only when i drink beers early in the morning
It wasn't that early and you got to take a picture in front of a giant Swayze poster

Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM

146 posts, read 259,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabz28ss View Post
Some people may have prior service from another agency that counts after the 20 yrs. Myself for example, I have 11 yrs prior from another agency. 20+ 11= 31 yrs total service which helps raise my pension to its max, which I think is 65% give or take.
different job titles factor seperately i think like 11 years in parks does not count the same as 11 years in sanitation. you would not get the full percentage for years after 20 from another agency unless its a uniformed force i believe

Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM

156 posts, read 327,140 times
You get a 1.5 for every year after 20.... 21 is 51.5.... 22 is 53.0.... and so on

Look if you are in the first class and they put you somewhere you dont like go see the clerk and ask for a transfer slip... You get 3 choices... There will be atleast 2 more classes and they do transfers at every class. Do your homework before u tranfer... go visit the garage... ask the garage forman because the sanworker will tell you its great come here because they all have you beat

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

34 posts, read 77,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
From what I understand they gave you guys a dream list of what garages you would like to be in. Don't get your hopes up, you are going to be placed where you are needed unless you have a hook. Be prepared to be sent to the Bronx or Manhattan regardless of where you live. If you think you know someone that may be able to help you now is the time to call them.
FBF tells you that they will try to place you in a district close to home, but it is a lie. The bright side is that you can transfer out in a month.
You do not get to put in any dream list at fbf. They will put you where they want. If you have any hook talk to them now hopefully they will get you somewhere decent. If you want steady days when you get assigned put in a transfer for fbf or lots or check seniority at broom garages.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 PM

184 posts, read 338,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_sanman View Post
You do not get to put in any dream list at fbf. They will put you where they want. If you have any hook talk to them now hopefully they will get you somewhere decent. If you want steady days when you get assigned put in a transfer for fbf or lots or check seniority at broom garages.

They don't allow guys on probation to work at FBF.....brooms may be a tad bit easier these days because guys may want to leave once they switch to the officer's chart as opposed to the sat/wed deal

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 14,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomascpotter View Post
1900 was highest number there today
Thanks for the info...only 600 or so people away! Keeping my fingers crossed we hear word soon.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 AM

128 posts, read 268,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
They don't allow guys on probation to work at FBF.....brooms may be a tad bit easier these days because guys may want to leave once they switch to the officer's chart as opposed to the sat/wed deal
Thank you for answering questions guys. Really new to this and to be honest a little scared too. All the what ifs are kicking in now. Few more questions what's mlp and lots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City