Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,273 times

Advertisements

@ LLOJ I dont think anyone would agree with you as to say that Bushwick's nice cause that definitely ain't the case but it has made improvements. East NY is better than it was in the 70s and 80s, that doesn't make it a nice neighborhood. No one is denying the same population thats been there since the 50s and 60s is still there. It is still a low-income 65% Hispanic 30% Black hood that deals with issues such as high gang activity, drug-dealing, muggings, etc. That being said, it is no where near the way it was around 20 years ago.

@ Henna, you got me. Gotta word what I say better sometimes, but what you clarified is what I meant to get at.

Last edited by anon1; 05-01-2010 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 AM

6 posts, read 11,782 times
Personally, I would never live in Bushwick, I would not rent or buy or shop etc. in that area. I had bad experiences, two different times. The last one was on Pitkin Avenue. To me, there is an element of danger and I avoid the area at all cost day or night. I feel nervous walking down the street there in general, watching my back, looking through my peripheral vision, the few times I have been there to go to a store for something, so I have never gone back. There are beautiful brownstones there, and nice blocks, and ugly rundown blocks like everywhere else, and yes it is "up and coming." but I would check out the NYC crime blogs to see for yourself what the stats show about the crime rate in the area, and if it is conducive to your lifestyle, then hey.....

Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjah View Post
Personally, I would never live in Bushwick, I would not rent or buy or shop etc. in that area. I had bad experiences, two different times. The last one was on Pitkin Avenue. To me, there is an element of danger and I avoid the area at all cost day or night. I feel nervous walking down the street there in general, watching my back, looking through my peripheral vision, the few times I have been there to go to a store for something, so I have never gone back. There are beautiful brownstones there, and nice blocks, and ugly rundown blocks like everywhere else, and yes it is "up and coming." but I would check out the NYC crime blogs to see for yourself what the stats show about the crime rate in the area, and if it is conducive to your lifestyle, then hey.....
Uh Pitkin Ave runs through Brownsville and ENY, it's not in Bushwick.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,941,951 times
Is Busshwick starting to change? I hear the gentrafication of this area is starting.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,782 times
ok... no wonder - thanks for the clarification.
But I do know for sure I was in Bushwick itself at some point in my 16 years living in Brooklyn because I got my chain snatched there (even though it was a long time ago, and that was the crime of the times) and will never forget it. I personally still do not recommend living there.

Last edited by Jahjah; 05-02-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM

yea Central and Wilson Ave for the most part are like Pitkin Ave. so yeah I'd pretty much steer clear from that area as well, but hey... to each his own.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM

235 posts, read 374,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
yea Central and Wilson Ave for the most part are like Pitkin Ave. so yeah I'd pretty much steer clear from that area as well, but hey... to each his own.
I know this old but it seems that slowly Bushwick keeps Gentrifying... Both the new 'luxury' building and the new Restaurant are on Wilson Ave. Has this Avenue and the surrounding streets have change since Anon's comment on 2010? Does it seem more 'Hipster'? Just curious.

Luxury Apartments Rising in Bushwick (119 Wilson Avenue)

Luxury Apartments Rising in Bushwick

Dear Bushwick Opened This Weekend (41 Wilson Avenue)

Dear Bushwick Opened This Weekend

http://bushwickdaily.com/2012/09/dea...opens-tonight/

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,778 times
Not the worst part of Bushwick to my knowledge (it's so block to block you'd have to live there to really know the ins and outs), but that's not saying much. Jefferson and DeKalb are the two stops where I know the hipsters are going, so unfortunately that usually means they'll get nicer the fastest. They're probably more convenient with the L.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I know this old but it seems that slowly Bushwick keeps Gentrifying... Both the new 'luxury' building and the new Restaurant are on Wilson Ave. Has this Avenue and the surrounding streets have change since Anon's comment on 2010? Does it seem more 'Hipster'? Just curious.

Luxury Apartments Rising in Bushwick (119 Wilson Avenue)

Luxury Apartments Rising in Bushwick

Dear Bushwick Opened This Weekend (41 Wilson Avenue)

Dear Bushwick Opened This Weekend

Dear Bushwick, new ‘England meets Vermont’ restaurant opens tonight | Bushwick Daily
When I originally mentioned Central and Wilson ave. The Jefferson stop wasn't the Central and Wilson I had in mind. I was specifically talking about central bushwick from around menahan to Hancock and once you pass eldert into schaeffer heading towards chauncey and further Bushwick gets bad again. There are pockets immediately near the L and M trains that have gotten better due to revitalization but again most of the revitalization and redevelopment come from working class hispanic families priced out of other neighborhoods and moved back into Bushwick after hearing about the changes...

That being said, crime unfortunately is still on the rise in the neighborhood and pockets of it are still very shady. But the area you mentioned has been on the hipster map for over a decade now... Still hasn't seen dramatic changes but there is a significant hipster presence around there but moreso closer to the Ridgewood/East Williamsburg border...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 8,443 times
Bushwick is changing. 8-10 years ago I didn't know many ppl over there. My old band played a loft party back in 2002 off the Morgan L and I remember getting lost getting to soundcheck and being worried. A couple friends moved to an illegal loft space off the Jefferson L stop in 2005, kicked out in 2007. They just settled with the old landlord.

But since then numerous people I know have moved to Bushwick, mostly off the Morgan, Jefferson, and Dekalb stops. Video post facilities, basements studios, etc are popping up. A couple I know just bought a place off the Halsey L stop, and while one half doesn't like it so much, the other half firmly believes that this is a good investment. I recently went to a party off the Halsey L, didn't stay too long since I was about 12 years older than everyone else, but most of them lived nearby. I remember drinking outside with a couple ppl, and the NYPD who pulled up told us to finish the drinks and get rid of them before they make their next pass around the block.

Being off the L is a huge plus vs other neighborhoods, but it's not enough for me to want to move out there. I'm heading over to Bed-Stuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City