Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 49,214 times

Advertisements

You guys are great. Thanks so much for the great info. We are really excited to be moving up and can't wait to explore the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times
Welcome to New York. You'll love it!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM

9,251 posts, read 24,114,074 times
Sell the car ! Put whatever you get( after paying off loan if there is one) into a separate bank account.After that put at least $750.00 into the account every month.This is still less than what it would cost you to keep a car in NY.Call this your transportation fund.
Take cabs or call a car service whenever you need to go shopping or go to the vet or go out or come home late at night and use zip cars or rentals to go away on occasional weekends.Keep track of what you spend on transportation and pay yourself back out of the "transportation account" every week or every month.
I did this 31 years ago when I decided that keeping a car in NY was too expensive and too much trouble.I was religious about putting the money in the account( I still do) and I have been very liberal with taxis and car services and rentals over the years.I found that my reimbursements from the fund average about average only about 35% and as a result the fund has grown enormously over the years.I made myself put an extra $5,000 in twice to add what would have been downpayments on cars that I didn't have to buy.
My transportation fund now has over $150,000 in it and this is after I have paid myself back for every taxi,car service and car rental !

Shortly after I started the transportation fund I decided to stop smoking and I opened another account for the money I would have spent on cigarettes if I still smoked. I still put money into it too(currently $70/wk because I used to smoke a pack and a half a day( $10)).It now has $90,000 in it.

So,over 30 years I have saved almost $250,000.00 by not keeping a car in NY and not smoking !
The really funny thing is that it's not just a lot cheaper not to own a car in NY but it really is more convenient too.Much easier to call a car service and have them come right to your door to pick you up or to drop you off !

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-02-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 49,214 times
Bluedog2 that is crazy.

We love the city when we are up there and have spent very little time in appears to be the tourist areas so we should be good to go.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 40,271 times
It really depends on what part of Brooklyn you're talking about... the borough has areas that are very different from each other.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,876,648 times
Yeah, I'd think twice about selling the car if you are going to live in an outer Brooklyn neighborhood (say, Sheepshead Bay or Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights or Gravesend...even Kensington or Midwood). If you'll be in Park Slope or the Heights or Fort Greene (or another 'hood closer to Manhattan), then by all means ditch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City