Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 AM

154 posts, read 535,948 times

Advertisements

Hi, i will be visiting the New York area in may for about 4 days together with 3 family members (all female, 13, 30 and 45 years old)
after we have visited family in Michigan. Out of my group im the only one who has visited New York before. We will be staying in a hotel in Chelsea.

i already made a list of things we want to do (ive seen all these things in my last visit, but i don't mind visiting these again.)

* Staten Island Ferry
* Battery Park
* Wallstreet
* Ground zero
* Brooklyn Bridge
* Chinatown
* Little Italy

* Harlem (125th str)
* Guggenheim
* 5th Avenue
* Central Park
* Strawberry field
* Museum of Natural History

* Times Square
* MOMA (?)
* Rockefeller center
* Top of the Rock
* Empire State building
* Grand Central Terminal

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Not a priority but i hope we can squeeze this in our tight schedule.)

* Chrysler building
* UN Building
* Roosevelt Island (?)
* Washington square park
* Fat Beats NY

a little question in regard to Roosevelt Island, the last time i visited we took the tram, but is it still there? i heard it was removed and they were building a new one.

So i wanted to know if there are things i can add to this list that are both fun/new to me and my relatives?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I would suggest the Museum of the City of NY (see Museum of the City of New York ) which gives you insight into the history of NYC.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
with 3 family members (all female, 13, 30 and 45 years old)
you can scrap your fancy list of sights and just resign yourself to the fact that you will be holding LOTS of shopping bags

although, seriously, i'd say pick either the top of the rock or the empire state building, not both... my vote would be for totr since the defining building in the nyc skyline is the empire state building and you get an unbelieveable view of it from the totr...

your SI ferry - little italy itinerary seems like a good amount of stuff to do in one day and not be too rushed

the 2nd and 3rd itineraries seem like too much to do in one day with the museums (assuming those are daily itineraries)

Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
you can scrap your fancy list of sights and just resign yourself to the fact that you will be holding LOTS of shopping bags

although, seriously, i'd say pick either the top of the rock or the empire state building, not both... my vote would be for totr since the defining building in the nyc skyline is the empire state building and you get an unbelieveable view of it from the totr...

your SI ferry - little italy itinerary seems like a good amount of stuff to do in one day and not be too rushed

the 2nd and 3rd itineraries seem like too much to do in one day with the museums (assuming those are daily itineraries)
We will only be visiting the top of the rock and we will probably only visit the ESB lobby. I will shorten the list a little, this is just a list of this we can do.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would suggest the Museum of the City of NY (see Museum of the City of New York ) which gives you insight into the history of NYC.
Nice ! thank you!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
if you do get over to gct... stop in at the transit mueum store next to the station masters office... pretty cool mini- exhibit going on now

Grand Central Terminal Calendar

Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
what or where if Fat beats?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
It sounds like your family is lucky to have a planner like you.

Is there a reason that you have MoMA and the Guggenheim on your list, but not the obvious Metropolitan? If your female relatives like to shop, when you're by Ground Zero, you might want to breeze through the discount stores Century 21 and Syms. Keep in mind some of your list is just a walk-through destination. I mean, I'm not sure there's much to do in Little Italy except eat.

I'd suggest that since you're trying to squeeze in a lot, you might also want to do some advance research on where you'll eat, which will help you organize. The Chowhound site is good for this if you ask them a specific question (such as, "If we're starting a morning at Battery Park, is there an interesting place for breakfast nearby?").

Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,802 times
Leave your high heels at home. Get a good pair of sneaker each. There will be lots of walking involve.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
what or where if Fat beats?
Fat Beats is a Hip-Hop record store with lots of instore preformances of underground hip-hop artists.
It's on 6th ave and 8th st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It sounds like your family is lucky to have a planner like you.

Is there a reason that you have MoMA and the Guggenheim on your list, but not the obvious Metropolitan? If your female relatives like to shop, when you're by Ground Zero, you might want to breeze through the discount stores Century 21 and Syms. Keep in mind some of your list is just a walk-through destination. I mean, I'm not sure there's much to do in Little Italy except eat.

I'd suggest that since you're trying to squeeze in a lot, you might also want to do some advance research on where you'll eat, which will help you organize. The Chowhound site is good for this if you ask them a specific question (such as, "If we're starting a morning at Battery Park, is there an interesting place for breakfast nearby?").
Well i think we either go visit the MoMA, the Guggenheim museum or the Metropolian (forgot that one) We still need to decide. Century 21 will be a good idea as well as the Chowhound site!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
Leave your high heels at home. Get a good pair of sneaker each. There will be lots of walking involve.
Well im male so i will be wearing my good ole sneakers... i will make sure my relatives will be wearing sneakers too .

Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 AM

38 posts, read 103,866 times
I know that you have a huge intinerary, but my guests have never been disappointed by the Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. It is a unique gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City