Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

God the people who post here are so dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Business opportunity: formulate a self defense spray with 1. blinding/threat neutralizing agent 2. a strong long lasting distinctive stink and 3. permanent dye.
You know ... the permanent dye thing is a great idea. It would need to be markedly evident (to work) but also non-toxic - keeping in mind that in our current environment, criminals have far more rights than victims.

What would be such a substance ? Anyone know ?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
"A lot of white people" is not what makes a neighborhood better. An absence of ghetto culture and the ghetto culture lifestyle IS.
Fair enough. But as an example, there are a lot MORE white people on the UES/UWS and no ghetto culture to speak of. It was just an observation.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 26,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
God the people who post here are so dramatic.
I laughed out loud when someone suggested Bear Spray. Seriously? Bear spray is a different active chemical than pepper spray is- one designed to (shockingly enough) affect bears more than it does humans. It is also supposed to be worn holstered, and is the size of a large can of spray paint. And it's also not supposed to harm bears, it's just supposed to repel them.

If you're walking down the street with bear spray on your hip, you'll attract attention. And if you try to spray someone with it, it'll probably just **** them off and make things worse for you.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM

657 posts, read 717,100 times
you be fine. i used to work their in that hood and i miss it ...... good luck and stay in touch

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM

110 posts, read 300,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBosGirl View Post
Fair enough. But as an example, there are a lot MORE white people on the UES/UWS and no ghetto culture to speak of. It was just an observation.
There are a lot more RICH people on the UES/UWS. You clearly haven't seen Breaking Bad yet.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
it's uptown ny, baby. you'll be alright.
don't worry yourself.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBosGirl View Post
And there are A LOT of neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are predominantly black and no ghetto culture, not even "to speak of" - none at all.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
There are a lot more RICH people on the UES/UWS. You clearly haven't seen Breaking Bad yet.
From experience I can state definitively that it is not the "rich" thing. It is people who have a clear idea of a good, productive environment, and who are willing to speak up about that - what is tolerable, what is not.

In Harlem, all sorts of things that would never, EVER, be tolerated elsewhere in the city are tolerated. I do not know why. The quality-of-life issues are quite literally overwhelmingly negative. I think this is a central reason that most "new" Harlem people are not from here, or even from the tri-state area. The ones who stay, anyway. They think, That's the way New York is ! Because they have no idea what they are talking about.

Things are so much vastly better downtown that it is astonishing. Always has been. And a big part of the reason is the fact that people would not tolerate ghetto behavior. They complained. Stood up.

Whereas, in Harlem ? "No snitchin'." Thugs on dirt bikes tearing up the park on a Sunday afternoon ? Unsupervised teenagers terrorizing people in the ATM lobby ? No problem ! Too few people complain, and the ghetto lifestyle is implicitly supported.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Good point. Most of Harlem is a ghetto sh$thole. If I ever move back I would only stay in Morningside Heights. Above 120th or so there it sucks. No one should have to tolerate loud music at 4 a.m., hydrant caps open causing flooding in the streets, open drug dealing and use in front of buildings, the list goes on. I give two middle fingers straight up to Manhattanville. Nasty ass place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City