Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Good article in the VV about two buildings in Chinatown/LES area.

When Hipsters Move in on Chinese: It's Ugly - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Good article in the VV about two buildings in Chinatown/LES area.

When Hipsters Move in on Chinese: It's Ugly - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
This is so NYC. I doubt this happens in other urban cities in the country. That's what makes us so unique.

However, aren't there laws limiting the number of residents in an apartment based on # of bedrooms?

Last edited by NYer75; 04-22-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
From the article..."They are nice, but they pay way too much rent!" retiree Ding Juan Zhang says of the young and hip.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Love the last paragraph of the article:

"When told some of the background of the long-term tenants' tribulations, Lavon says, "It sucks, and I didn't know this before I came. Maybe it did happen—it probably did, even. I'm sorry it's happening, but—" she pauses, then shrugs—"I like the apartment."

I guess that's why everyone hates hipsters.They have no shame,no conscience whatsoever.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
These hipsters sounds like spoiled brats who have no clue
about the real world. By the way, I like my apartment!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
The new tenants, mostly white, are in their mid-twenties. Many go to nearby art colleges—Parsons, the School of Visual Arts, Cooper Union—or are working their first jobs out of school. Some commute to schools in less desirable places, likeLong Island. Many have moved in within the past year; their apartments have that Ikea/thrift-store feel.
that article is comedic gold

Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
word HIPSTER is so worn out its sad

Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Love the last paragraph of the article:

"When told some of the background of the long-term tenants' tribulations, Lavon says, "It sucks, and I didn't know this before I came. Maybe it did happen—it probably did, even. I'm sorry it's happening, but—" she pauses, then shrugs—"I like the apartment."

I guess that's why everyone hates hipsters.They have no shame,no conscience whatsoever.
Why should the hipsters (well, actually mostly they were just college students in this article) have any shame or conscience for moving into the apartment that made the most sense for them when they were looking for a place to live?

It's not their fault that the city has the sort of regulatory procedures in place that make the sort of housing the hipsters would like to live in difficult and expensive to produce. Nor is it the hispters' fault that virtually every community in the city will come out and fight like hell against any new development that the city is actually willing to approve.

If you want less hipsters competing with long-time residents in places like Delancey St., then write your local community leaders and tell them that you want projects like the one I linked below expanded, enlarged and given an easier path to approval. Without really researching the project much, I'd bet that the community board will vote down this project and the developer will have to adjust the proposal somehow.

Queens dorm plan faces first big test with community board vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City