Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM

56 posts, read 415,055 times

Advertisements

i need some help here. i hear from people that fordham & bedford park are nice neighborhoods, but when go to them they are mostly buildings i dont even recall any private homes. could someone please gice me some info on these 2 bronx neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:06 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default well

you are actually talking about 3 separate areas when you say Fordham and Bedford park

Fordham proper is probably the area between say 183rd street to Fordham Rd between Southern Blvd and Webster Avenue. It includes Fordham's Little italy

Fordham Bedford is roughly the area between say E 193rd street and E 198th between Webster Ave and Jerome Ave. There are some private homes in this area on the sidestreets and avenues but they're nothing special. I frequently bike on the sidestreets in this area off the Grand Concourse, and tho i feel safe during the day, I would not go there at night. At 5PM at the corner of Creston Avenue and E 196th street there are already gangs hanging out preparing for the night. Even during the day I am given suspicious looks by neighborhood youths as i ride by. Like WTF!!

Bedford Park proper is from Bedford Park Blvd to Mosholu Pkwy between Jerome and Webster Avenue. There are private homes here and many are quite nice. The art deco in the area is pretty interesting and one of the blocks (Perry Avenue between Bedford Park and Mosholu Pkwy) has been designated as some type of historic district. In fact right at this street is one of the best in the area

Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
I agree with the above completely, boundaries and descriptions.
There are also a lot of nice houses in the immediate Little Italy vicinity but it is a small tight area right around Arthur Avenue and 187th st.
Bedford Park (above Bedford Park Boulevard) is a much nicer area of mostly art deco co op buildings and single or 2 family houses,lots of trees and is next to The Botanical Garden and the Northern entrance to Fordham U.The further to the East of Jerome the better. A different world from most of " Fordham" in general.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you are actually talking about 3 separate areas when you say Fordham and Bedford park

Fordham proper is probably the area between say 183rd street to Fordham Rd between Southern Blvd and Webster Avenue. It includes Fordham's Little italy

Fordham Bedford is roughly the area between say E 193rd street and E 198th between Webster Ave and Jerome Ave. There are some private homes in this area on the sidestreets and avenues but they're nothing special. I frequently bike on the sidestreets in this area off the Grand Concourse, and tho i feel safe during the day, I would not go there at night. At 5PM at the corner of Creston Avenue and E 196th street there are already gangs hanging out preparing for the night. Even during the day I am given suspicious looks by neighborhood youths as i ride by. Like WTF!!

Bedford Park proper is from Bedford Park Blvd to Mosholu Pkwy between Jerome and Webster Avenue. There are private homes here and many are quite nice. The art deco in the area is pretty interesting and one of the blocks (Perry Avenue between Bedford Park and Mosholu Pkwy) has been designated as some type of historic district. In fact right at this street is one of the best in the area
Disagree with your Fordham boundaries. You're describing Belmont.

Lower Fordham or South Fordham or Fordham Heights w.e it is is the area bordered to the south by E 183rd (or E. Burnside), to the west by Jerome, to the east by Webster and to the north by E. Fordham rd. Once you pass Webster...you're in Belmont.

And Fordham-Bedford is a ghetto neighborhood to the OP. Lots of drug acitvities. Very similar to the hoods south of Fordham rd. Much worse than Bedford park.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Lower Fordham or South Fordham or Fordham Heights w.e it is is the area bordered to the south by E 183rd (or E. Burnside), to the west by Jerome, to the east by Webster and to the north by E. Fordham rd. Once you pass Webster...you're in Belmont.

And Fordham-Bedford is a ghetto neighborhood to the OP. Lots of drug acitvities. Very similar to the hoods south of Fordham rd. Much worse than Bedford park.
LOL. Another(typical) disagreement about Bronx neighborhood boundaries and names ! At least we are all in general agreement about the character of the different areas.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM

34,075 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:

what are belmont's boundaries? little italy is belmont, right?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yes,Little Italy is actually in Belmont but these days Belmont and Little Italy are all considered part of " Fordham" to most people.
I think of Belmont as South of Fordham Rd,West of Bronx Park(the zoo, Southern Blvd),North of 183rd St and East of 3rd Ave.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-05-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah.

When I think of Fordham I think of Valentine & 183rd, 184th & Creston etc etc...the blocks sorrounding Ryer ave and the 46th Precinct.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM

34,075 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Yeah.

When I think of Fordham I think of Valentine & 183rd, 184th & Creston etc etc...the blocks sorrounding Ryer ave and the 46th Precinct.
lol creston ave and 184th my old hang out spot.....what a piece of ____ that block was....there was no such thing as a pooper-scooper law on creston from 184th to 188th. when i got off the D train, if i didnt walk down the concourse and i walked down creston instead, i used to walk in the street.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City