Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM

217 posts, read 681,054 times

Advertisements

I realize this has been discussed on this forum before, but it has been a while and these things can change pretty rapidly (as I have experienced in Chicago).

I am moving to New York soon (probably into Brooklyn, but I'll work in Manhattan) and with the new iPhone announced I wondered if AT&T has gotten any better?

If it's still crappy, do people just recommend Verizon? Is T-Mobile or Sprint worth considering?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
This whole debate is very strange to me.I had Verizon service for years and hated it.Dropped calls constantly.I switched to AT & T when I got an iPhone and have no problems whatsoever.No dropped calls ever.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
reception is bad for me in a few areas but otherwise its ok. wish the damn phone bill wasn't so high tho. and yes i cannot wait to upgrade!!! i need a white iphone 4 yesterday.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Along with the blackberry, the Iphone is highly popular among New Yorkers. Millions of New Yorkers dumped Verizon and Sprint just to Join ATAT and to have apples latest greatest revolutionairy magical product that wowed idiots of this great city! I really cant stand the Iphone. The Iphone is a fad and here in New York, people are into the latests fads and trends. I dont know how long the iphone trend in this city will last. I remember when the Motorola Razr when it was popular before the iphone came out. Me I have Sprint, Ive been with them for 5 years and I can do yearly upgrades instead of 2 years and Now I have unlimited internet, both features dont exist on ATAT anymore. But from what Ive been told here in NYC, the iphone congests atat networks here in the city. Drop calls are constant, and ATAT is setting wifi hotspots for ATAT users in congest pockets around the city like at Times Square or at Yankee stadium. You will do fine here in NYC with your iphone, like how I do fine with my Android. Good luck with drop calls and edge speeds and try to upgrade to iphone4.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 151,072 times
I've been wondering about cell reception as well. I heard Verizon has the best reception in the city, but what about Sprint? Ever since the HTC Evo came out I've been wavering between that and the Verizon HTC Incredible, but I don't want to deal with dropped calls on the Sprint network. Also, having no 4G in NYC until later in 2010 (so they say) sucks.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
20 percent of the iPhones in the country are in New York and San Francisco.

I used Sprint for years before I got my iPhone. The problem wasn't dropped calls but reception in older buildings (because of thick masonry). That was several years ago and those problems may be fixed now.

Systems change all the time. They add towers, upgrade technology, etc. Running after a slightly better system is a fool's errand. Also, if you're talking with someone on another cell phone, it's difficult to know which network is responsible for the bad connection, yours or their.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

217 posts, read 681,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Systems change all the time. They add towers, upgrade technology, etc. Running after a slightly better system is a fool's errand. Also, if you're talking with someone on another cell phone, it's difficult to know which network is responsible for the bad connection, yours or their.
I am guessing many would argue Verizon is more than just "slightly" better than AT&T. That's why I started this thread.

If you have a single data point it's tough to tell who's fault it is on a bad call. But if you have friends on different networks you can start to pick up on trends pretty quickly.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I think the 4 major carriers have similar quality in major cities, I'm on T-Mobile and they have great service, I have 3G like 90-95% of the time (buildings included), I've only had like 5 dropped calls over the life of my MyTouch. Now outside the metro areas it's a whole different ball game, I saw why people disliked T-Mobile & AT&T, my phone fluctuated between no data connection and a GPRS? connection on I-80 in Pennsylvania.

The NYC Metro and the Bay Area are notorious for dropped calls on AT&T however the new design for the iPhone (4) allows it to have better reception so I think you'll have a better experience regardless. I want the black one because it looks sleeker lol. I have to see both up close though.

I agree with eek that the bill is so high for no reason, like 450 minutes for $40 or something like that, it's ridiculous imo. Compared to carriers in the UK that is just robbery straight up and down.

Edit: I forgot they said Sprint's voice service was down in NYC today but it happens to all of them. I know T-Mobile's 3G rivals Sprint's 4G in terms of speed, I think AT&T's will too.

Last edited by Infamous92; 06-09-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,558 times
I've had all major carriers except Sprint.

T mobile had great reception in Manhattan (not Queens), but poor customer service. I totally lost service for over 2 days & as this was my only phone line, it was unacceptable.

AT&T does have frequent dropped calls & when I call people who have this service, I occasionally get a message saying that they are no longer with that provider (call back in 1 minute, call goes through). Their service has got better with time, but mention dropped calls to people who have AT&T and everyone will complain.

Verizon has the best reception, by far, in Manhattan and Queens (as well as when traveling). I've never had a dropped call while being in Manhattan.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I've had Verizon, Sprint, my girl had AT&T and now we both switched to Metro PCS. I've never had any trouble with any of these providers reception wise. Never any issues with dropped calls or anything like that. I do remember some of my friends who had AT&T had problems with reception but that was more than 5 years ago and I believe they have rectified their reception problems. My problems have usually been poor customer service or billing. Sprint for instance I remember had atrocious customer service.

I don't really get how people complain about the reception, it seems at least for calls the reception is good for most of the providers. Verizon from what I understand actually has the strongest signal around these parts. But I had to leave Verizon because they have adopted some very shady billing practices as of late so I had to leave them for good. MetroPCS is not a premium provider but I don't need a "smart" phone. I just need one that's reliable and I don't want to feel like I'm getting gipped, and so far in those regards I've been happy with Metro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City