Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,713 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the area w/ my 2 young children. If i work in Elmira where should I live? Very interested in culture and good schools for the children. Is Ithaca too far to commute? Thanks for any advice/suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Certainly folks do commute between Elmira and Ithaca but it may get somewhat wearisome - think winter with two good hills to go over. My sister wrecked her SUV in winter weather on a sudden icy patch and was lucky to escape unscathed from the frozen wetland next to the road just south of Newfield. She stopped making that a daily drive soon after. She was no spring chicken to winter driving having once commuted from Lowville to Utica for school!

Corning is much closer to Elmira with a valley route expressway, and has excellent schools with a more stable population than Ithaca's. Folks move to Corning AFTER they get their PhD not before. (Corning Inc. employs many researchers and the immediate Corning area takes great pains to remain attractive to this set of folks.) The vibe is not quite the same as Ithaca's, if you need to be surrounded by hippie liberals Corning isn't that way.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Horseheads has good schools and Elmira Heights might be a good choice, as it is right next to Elmira too.

Corning would be good, as it is only a 15-20 minute drive on the highway to Elmira. It has a nice downtown and some museums and things to do. Schools are good there as well.

You might even like Elmira's West Side or it's South Side. Schools in Elmira are so-so, but it seems like you can still get a good education there, if one so desires. It seems like the schools that are tracked to attend Southside High seem to be better, as least in terms of reputation.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 20,713 times
Default Try Horseheads, Corning, or West Elmira

I was born/raised in West Elmira which is a very charming, historic area of Elmira. It is a decent place for raising families with the elementary school within 1/2 mile from all the homes, but since schools are a factor, the middle and high schools in Elmira are not specific to West Elmira, so things can get a bit "dicy". West Elmira, though, has low taxes and home prices, and would be a good choice especially if you were willing to send your kids to maybe the Catholic schools.
Horseheads, though, would be my best recommendation for you. Many new subdivisions are popping up in Horseheads. The schools are the best in the area, and Horseheads is only 10 minutes from Elmira; just hop on the highway and you're there. Also, there are LOTS of shopping options there (relative to the desolate area) and definitely the most family friendly place.
Corning is extremely charming with many cute shops and a few museums. But schools are so/so, and Corning is a bit further away from Elmira than it sounds like you are willing to be (maybe 25 minutes or so).
Overall, look in Horseheads. Hope that this helps you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York