Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 PM

129 posts, read 251,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Where Upstate?

does it matter? lmao

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 13,322 times
Quote:
Where Upstate?
Buffalo. I owned my home in Parkside, 2 blocks from deleware Park. Just sold it two days ago. I'm so excited to be out of Western New York. It took only four days in Long Beach, 2 days in Atlanta to accomplish what it took me 15 months to do in Buffalo. God Bless em and I forgive em. I pray that God delivers those folks from Satan's coven of withches in upstate. I am so at peace being out of there.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM

130 posts, read 173,319 times
Default Syracuse & Racism

Here, here, Scatman. I agree. There is racism in Upstate NY--although from what I've seen it isn't always "a bit". I moved here 4 years ago, from S. Cal., and living just south of Syracuse I have discovered a few things:

(1) Confederate flags fly proudly here. I find this VERY odd, since none of these people actually seem to BE FROM any southern states. Infact, they're from "right here." (Go look up "Hate Watch.org" on the internet for listings of neo-confederate groups!) The really strange thing is that I've travelled extensively in the rural South--most people flying the Confederate flag don't seem to have a lot of love for Yankees either. I think some of the flag-flyers in Upstate NY would get their butts kicked if a real, live neo-confederate came up here and saw them flying that flag...

(2) People in some of the rural areas will use the "n" word. The first time I heard it used in casual conversation down at the local 4-corner store I almost fell over from shock. Granted, these folks don't seem to have any interaction with anyone other than WASPs, nor are they educated past 12th grade, (read this as ignorant) but they will ardently deny they're racists-- "It's just a word," was their answer to my query as to whether the Klan had taken hold around here.

(3) The University had a BIG fiasco a few years ago with one of their close-circut TV productions doing "humorous" stories which involved things such as lynchings. (You see why I put humorous in quote marks?) It was dealt with in the usual manner- The University thoroughly chastized the students, called for focus comittees, and basically sherked any responsibility it owed the students and community. Since then the Canchellor has been doing her level best to stamp out the bias and evil on campus....But it's still there. It just went a little more underground.

What amazes me is that the area, from the mid 19th century on was a "hot-bed" of liberal, open-minded thinking, with Abolitionists, early feminists and academic freethinkers galore. It has changed, considerably, since that time.

My grandmother was of mixed racial heritage, and in our family, we're quite proud of this. My sons are all fair skinned and blue eyed though, so we "fit in" to our community, at least from the perspective of others. My youngest came home from his first week of school livid though. A young African American Marine had come to their rural school to give an informational speech about joining the service. As he approached the front doors, my son and others were in a class room with an open window, where the teacher had stepped out for a moment. One of the local teenagers went to the window and yelled "N*****! Go Home!" Only my son was outraged by the remark. This was outr introduction to life in Upstate NY.

If you decide to move here, look for communities with a higher educational level--Cazenovia, Manlius, Fayetteville... or near Buffalo, there's Amherst and Williamstown...stay clear of the rural farming communities, or at least "get to know" the place before you permanently make it your home.

Peace and Justice.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
Here, here, Scatman. I agree. There is racism in Upstate NY--although from what I've seen it isn't always "a bit". I moved here 4 years ago, from S. Cal., and living just south of Syracuse I have discovered a few things:

(1) Confederate flags fly proudly here. I find this VERY odd, since none of these people actually seem to BE FROM any southern states. Infact, they're from "right here." (Go look up "Hate Watch.org" on the internet for listings of neo-confederate groups!) The really strange thing is that I've travelled extensively in the rural South--most people flying the Confederate flag don't seem to have a lot of love for Yankees either. I think some of the flag-flyers in Upstate NY would get their butts kicked if a real, live neo-confederate came up here and saw them flying that flag...

(2) People in some of the rural areas will use the "n" word. The first time I heard it used in casual conversation down at the local 4-corner store I almost fell over from shock. Granted, these folks don't seem to have any interaction with anyone other than WASPs, nor are they educated past 12th grade, (read this as ignorant) but they will ardently deny they're racists-- "It's just a word," was their answer to my query as to whether the Klan had taken hold around here.

(3) The University had a BIG fiasco a few years ago with one of their close-circut TV productions doing "humorous" stories which involved things such as lynchings. (You see why I put humorous in quote marks?) It was dealt with in the usual manner- The University thoroughly chastized the students, called for focus comittees, and basically sherked any responsibility it owed the students and community. Since then the Canchellor has been doing her level best to stamp out the bias and evil on campus....But it's still there. It just went a little more underground.

What amazes me is that the area, from the mid 19th century on was a "hot-bed" of liberal, open-minded thinking, with Abolitionists, early feminists and academic freethinkers galore. It has changed, considerably, since that time.

My grandmother was of mixed racial heritage, and in our family, we're quite proud of this. My sons are all fair skinned and blue eyed though, so we "fit in" to our community, at least from the perspective of others. My youngest came home from his first week of school livid though. A young African American Marine had come to their rural school to give an informational speech about joining the service. As he approached the front doors, my son and others were in a class room with an open window, where the teacher had stepped out for a moment. One of the local teenagers went to the window and yelled "N*****! Go Home!" Only my son was outraged by the remark. This was outr introduction to life in Upstate NY.

If you decide to move here, look for communities with a higher educational level--Cazenovia, Manlius, Fayetteville... or near Buffalo, there's Amherst and Williamstown...stay clear of the rural farming communities, or at least "get to know" the place before you permanently make it your home.

Peace and Justice.
Exactly why I dislike rural towns in Upstate and why I'm attracted to the growing suburbs around Syracuse. You should have moved to the northern suburbs of Syracuse. South of Syracuse is very rural and a little backwards with very little new development. Do not judge the Syracuse area based on rural villages/towns or the inner city ghetto neighborhoods. Trouble is most people think that's all there is to this part of Upstate. Syracuse suburbs are so small, they are easy to bypass. Hope that changes soon as our community grows....

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-25-2007 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Look, this an opinion...

Dear Superkitten, and B-
Look this is an opinion-- and a warning.

I'm of mixed racial heritage, and it doesn't "show"--I get to be the white person that goes home and talks Black with my dad (ok---I know that sounds racist, but we chuckle about it--He's probably the last generation where someone will say "Goodness, doesn't he look...dark complected?" (lol!) (that was sort of the "nice" term in the 50's for "Do you think he's N*gro?")...

I can "code switch" from one venacular to the other...Ever listen to MLK's speeches vs. his Sunday sermons? BIG difference... But even I can't maintain a code switch for long... I guess I really am what I grew up as... I am, for all accounts, White. But my family is African American, I relate African American, I identify AS African American... Yet walking around in the skin I'm in... I get to hear and see what the nice white folks like to say about "Others." I also get to be fairly angry, because even what some of "the nice people" have to say is pretty damn racist...

In central NY, the former home of Theodore Parker, Harriet Tubman, William Seward, and all the early feminists... It has potential. Right now, it is NOT a bastion of free thinking. Be wary of where you move. Some of these nice white folk will tell you to your face that they beleive in equlaity, etc., ad nauseum...(Like Nancy Cantor, Chancellor of Syracuse University) but then look at how many Afruican Americans they hire...2%? It is all talk, no reality...

Syracuse...It'sa a yes, and a no.. The academics here..they are wonderful and welcoming. (Kal Alston is great she's an AA Assoc. Dean) Almost all the profs I knew were great-- and they almost all live near the U.--In the drumlins, Techmuscha St. area. Others live in the burbs, and most in the Manlius or Cazenovia area...

What ever you do, pick your area carefully. If you can, rent first, buy later. See what neighborhoods are like, and really wander around. Do they STARE at you in the local grocery store (they stared at my dad), or are people basically non-plussed? When you go to a local cultural event (renting) are you the only AA family there...if so, what's the reception?

(Ex: In Cazenovia, back in August, Jimmy Johnson showed up to do "Chicago Blues" I love him... He's a living (kinda mini) legend that still shows up to do the Chicago Blues AS IT SHOULD BE PLAYED--With nuances, quirks, and he (this was so sad) had to announce, "I'm gonna do this now, and your gon' hear imperfections...It's on purpose." (Uh, yah... those of who know it know it will be like that...You're going to hear..wait...Skipped note? Naww...it's how it's 'possed to be...) He also started his concert looking at a packed house of BMW, Mercedes S Class driving listeners and stated "ya'll might 'a guessed...I'm not from 'roun here." Um, yeah...we guessed that Jimmy..you're the only person with dark skin in the place.. and I thought "An you're playin' to people who don't know Chicago from 'Orleans baby, but ripit up..."

he did, and brought down the house... But Superkitten...You gotta understand...

there are "tolerant" communities, but they are tolerant... they are NOT embracing... I have never seen a middle class Black community (although my dad speaks fondly of "Sugar Hill" in Harlem in the 40s)...in Upstate, I have not seemn it. The clsest I have seen is the West side of 'Cuse, and it is teetering on the brink--it is comprised of West Onongaga St (BEAUTIFUL OLD HOMES, cheap, in need of remodel) but still infested with gangs and drugs...My only hope is the Church bells that ring out... the area has a strong Puerto Rican contingent (Of multiracial back grounds--I lived ther for 3 months...LOVED IT!) where the Grandmas all go to Church and drag the grandsons with them... That is perhaps the most tolerant neighborhood that I've seen. As you head up the hill of Onodaga, the neighborhodd gets 'better"--Better cars, better houses...but the ones down on the flat section, before the turn, I have hope for...

there is a GREAT restaurant on Onondaga, just before the neighborhood, called "Jamaica Lick Finger". It looks like a hole in the wall, but the guy who runs it is a devote Christian, cooks like my Grandma (ask for the fried bananas!!!) and is as sweet as can be (hard to understand though!) Lots of "ja man"'s..get past it. he treats everyone, B or W, to the Best food north of Kingston... There ARE some really cool neighborhood in 'Cuse and outside, towar the burbs..

Just be careful....scout it well... Make sure, before you move there.

Peace and Justice,
Ham Sandwich

Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 AM

8 posts, read 26,018 times
Can anyone be specific and tell us what month to month apartments/ or rental homes are reasonable and in good neighborhoods where we can allow our 8 year old son to play outdoors?
We need to know asap. My husband is headed up to Syracuse to start a job and we do not know the areas at all!

Thanks!

Last edited by Pamandan; 11-26-2007 at 02:10 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,645 times
I'm new to the group. I'm black and looking to relocate pretty soon to Rochester. I have some family upstate, but they're in their 60's to 80's. I'm 33 years old, with a B.S. in accounting and B.A. in pipe organ. Is Rochester a pretty good place a young black male to make a living. I think I can deal with racism, if it's not too extreme. I've visited Rochester once, and utilized the websites. But I would also like some feedback from people who have lived there for some time. Currently, I'm a state auditor. I'm working on a CPA license and a CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) license. I've checked the Rochester Works website. There seem to be alot of openings in the accounting fields. Is this good or bad?

Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
Dear Superkitten, and B-
Look this is an opinion-- and a warning.

What ever you do, pick your area carefully. If you can, rent first, buy later. See what neighborhoods are like, and really wander around. Do they STARE at you in the local grocery store (they stared at my dad), or are people basically non-plussed? When you go to a local cultural event (renting) are you the only AA family there...if so, what's the reception?

he did, and brought down the house... But Superkitten...You gotta understand...

there are "tolerant" communities, but they are tolerant... they are NOT embracing... I have never seen a middle class Black community (although my dad speaks fondly of "Sugar Hill" in Harlem in the 40s)...in Upstate, I have not seemn it. The clsest I have seen is the West side of 'Cuse, and it is teetering on the brink--it is comprised of West Onongaga St (BEAUTIFUL OLD HOMES, cheap, in need of remodel) but still infested with gangs and drugs...My only hope is the Church bells that ring out... the area has a strong Puerto Rican contingent (Of multiracial back grounds--I lived ther for 3 months...LOVED IT!) where the Grandmas all go to Church and drag the grandsons with them... That is perhaps the most tolerant neighborhood that I've seen. As you head up the hill of Onodaga, the neighborhodd gets 'better"--Better cars, better houses...but the ones down on the flat section, before the turn, I have hope for...

there is a GREAT restaurant on Onondaga, just before the neighborhood, called "Jamaica Lick Finger". It looks like a hole in the wall, but the guy who runs it is a devote Christian, cooks like my Grandma (ask for the fried bananas!!!) and is as sweet as can be (hard to understand though!) Lots of "ja man"'s..get past it. he treats everyone, B or W, to the Best food north of Kingston... There ARE some really cool neighborhood in 'Cuse and outside, towar the burbs..

Just be careful....scout it well... Make sure, before you move there.

Peace and Justice,
Ham Sandwich
Just so you know, there are many African American families living in the northern suburbs of Syracuse. Most attend the North Syracuse School District. The Town of Clay alone has over 2,000 African Americans. There are two African American households just on my block.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Just so you know..... The Town of Clay alone has over 2,000 African Americans. There are two African American households just on my block.
Super Kitten:
Get the picture? It's "Joe Biden" kind of stuff. they mean well... There's no danger... But there is no "Sugar Hill" here.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM

309 posts, read 900,844 times
I am from Bronx, NYC and I am surprised about upstate. Its been years since I moved from NY now. I guess its only NYC that is the so called "melting pot". I realized after I moved that the black population there is less than 20%. I suspected that it was even lower in upstate areas. Long Island and Staten Island are whitebread too. As an African-American I would just look for a diverse neighborhood in a medium income range. Its hard to pinpoint them because they can be anywhere. We lived in one in Georgia and we live in one in Tennessee. Keep asking on these threads. This forum is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York