Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have hiked sections of the A.T.

Granted there are areas where the trail is not flat level, where you may be faced with inclines.

Maine is partly flat, and partly hilly.

Calling any hill in Maine a 'mountain' is rather insulting to anyone who lives in mountainous regions.

No hill in Maine reaches high enough to require O2 bottles. The simple facts are that it is all fairly low altitude.

No pass in Maine goes high enough to require local automobiles to be re-tuned for the thinner air.

I have skied the Alps, there is no 'alpine' terrain in NY either. If you think there is, then truly you need to visit the Alps.

You're one of THOSE people. If it isn't above 8000 feet it ain't a mountain eh?

I guess you think the entire Appalachian chain is just hills then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally I am from the West Coast, I lived in Connecticut off and on for 20 years. While in Ct, I commonly heard that it was the Southern extreme of New England, among with NY.

A few months ago in a discussion on City-Data's General sub-forum, I questioned someone because they were in NJ and saying how it was a part of New England. In the process of that discussion many people scolded me, and I was firmly told that D.C. and all points Northward are all part of New England.

Now I read your post.

Is N.E. wherever a person desires it to be?

To a Connecticut Yankee that is N.E. ?

But to a person in D.C. they feel that they are likewise in N.E. ?
Keep in mind that NE could mean New England or Northeast. New England comprises of CT, MA, RI, VT, NH and ME. They are all Northeastern as well.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
No hill in Maine reaches high enough to require O2 bottles. The simple facts are that it is all fairly low altitude.
You realize that no mountain in the entire USA requires O2 bottles, right? I've been at the top of many REAL mountain in this country, and have never needed O2. Hell, the easiest "climb" I ever had was one of the highest: Mt. Elbert in CO, the state's highest.

Quote:
No pass in Maine goes high enough to require local automobiles to be re-tuned for the thinner air.
Same as above. What pass in the whole country requires re-tuning?

Quote:
I have skied the Alps, there is no 'alpine' terrain in NY either. If you think there is, then truly you need to visit the Alps.

No one mentioned the Alps but you. No one compared the eastern "mountains" to extreme mountains but you. While I do actually agree with you that there are no real mountains on the east coast, compared to say Colorado, Wyoming, Washington and Alaska, you took the discussion to a level no one else did, while simultaneously implying someone had compared Everest to Marcy.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You realize that no mountain in the entire USA requires O2 bottles, right? I've been at the top of many REAL mountain in this country, and have never needed O2. Hell, the easiest "climb" I ever had was one of the highest: Mt. Elbert in CO, the state's highest.
Actually I have climbed Mt. Whitney [which is in the USA]. I grew up very near to it.

As for the Alps I was quoting a previous poster [perhaps you missed it, but I did use the quote feature].

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I saw Alpine terrain, but no mention of the Alps, specifically.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
The word "alpine" in the context which I used it in refers most generally to a plant community that exists where it does due to elevational effects. Alpine tundra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This plant community occupies 85 acres of the land area of New York State according to Adirondack Ecosystem (scroll down). Larger areas in VT, NH, and ME are also so classified. That does not mean that the skiing in these areas is comparable to the Alps even though areas dedicated to what used to be called "Alpine skiing" (as distinct from "Nordic skiing") have been created at considerably lower elevations in both New York State and New England.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
This thread was really interesting and informative until hijacked by a typical mountain snob.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
But in broad terms the English "nonconformists" who settled New England coast, moved inland first to VT/NH/up to Maine, then outward through central/western NY and northeast OH, and another generation later to MI and southern WI. Central NY's Indian war (the Sullivan Expedition) happened during the Revolution, not before or afterward, so Euro-American place names deliberately did look backward (as did the Federal style of architecture) to Greek and Roman roots. The Military Tract of central NY was a very early example of deliberate naming according to this outlook. New England place names pop up again in northern PA, where as in post-revolutionary NY local land speculators also became bold enough to name places after themselves.

In Bedford County, PA it is not unusual at all to find farm folks descended from pre-revolutionary settlers in either the same valley or next valley over, but in similar population Cortland County, NY, despite its settlement two generations later it seems much less common to find families who have held out for even 100 years farming.
Another great post...

To speak on how long central NY has been settled, I'd like to disspell the assumption [for others] that it was only in the 1800's and reinforce the fact that there are families STILL here from the 1700's.

The Town of Pompey was settled enough to become a town in 1789. I grew up in Fabius-Pompey, NY and almost all of the settler-named streets, if not all, still have those same-named families living there. I spent quite a few days wandering through the old cemetary on Cemetery Road (just south of Route 20), reading the many, many gravestones that have been there since the last quarter of the 1700's. (Phenomenal view from there, btw... I like to think that it's why the cemetary was placed there. To give their ancestors a view. ) 250 years of agriculture and dairy still in the works, from those original settlers. The district schools are filled with historic names... quite a majority of students, during ancestry projects, claiming a rich history of central NY in at least one vein. Winston Churchill's grandfather was born and raised in Pompey. William Fargo. co-founder of Wells Fargo, was born and raised in Pompey.

I suppose this is my soft spot, when it comes to local history... of which I am clearly proud. I don't appreciate the notion that central NY was settled as an afterthought, that the region wasn't settled until the Erie Canal construction was started and is relatively insignificant solely based on various towns' "established in..." years. It took several decades of settlement by hard-working families, trying to stay alive despite co-existing with the notoriously violent Iroquois Nation's Indians (not that they didn't have good reason), to reach the point of calling themselves *something* that was recognized by the US government. Those families were here nearly 100 years before the Erie Canal and I treasure the fact that I know their descendants... and that those descendants appreciate their own history and have their own love of the land enough to have stayed.

/tangent over. lol

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
There are no mountains in the lower 48. The Rockies are hills and the Sierra a little better. I have been to the mountains in Alaska. Nothing under 16,000 ft. is a mountain, just big hills.

A Sherpa told me that Alaska has no mountains. He said anything under 22,000 ft. is just a hill. If 1 in 8 people who try to climb to the top of a mountain doesn't die. it is not really a mountain.

/sarcasm

Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are no mountains in the lower 48. The Rockies are hills and the Sierra a little better. I have been to the mountains in Alaska. Nothing under 16,000 ft. is a mountain, just big hills.

A Sherpa told me that Alaska has no mountains. He said anything under 22,000 ft. is just a hill. If 1 in 8 people who try to climb to the top of a mountain doesn't die. it is not really a mountain.

/sarcasm
DUDE - I used to live on the ocean floor. You silly Earth Folk... your "mountains" could fall into our trenches and not even be noticed.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York