Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM

655 posts, read 2,331,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
Huge debate of mine, which consist of some of these cities! Where would you relocate and why??
Hello Chad,

I think you have left your question too wide open. You should give us more of your requirements for your new relocation city in NY State.

I can't give you reasons for my following suggestions because there are too-many factors to discuss and so much information we could give you, without you giving us more of your requirements.

IMO the 2 best large Metro Cities in Upstate New York are Syracuse and Rochester. Too many reasons to give you/tell you why I like these 2 cities best. Syracuse city has one main downtown section with the city surrounded by several individual suburbs. Rochester city has one main downtown section with the city surrounded by several individual suburbs. From Syracuse and Rochester its a reasonable quick drive by Expressway Highways to BIG cities like Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston=(all GREAT fantastic cities) and a reasonable drive by Expressway Highways to New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, & Washington DC. OR you can take Amtrak Train from Syr. & Roch. to NY City and leave your car at home.

For smaller best cities I like Ithaca & Saratoga Springs. For smaller villages I like Cooperstown, Skaneatles, Penn Yan, Hamilton, Clinton, Cortland, West Carthage, Cobleskill, and so many more in Western/Eastern/Central/Northern/Southern Tier/Mohawk Valley regions of Upstate New York. For nice picturesque small summer-resort towns, I like Lake George, Alexandria Bay, Lake Placid, some others=but they are "dead" in the wintertime. But you only mentioned considering large cities.

I would prefer Buffalo-Niagara Falls versus Alb-Sch-Troy-Cohoes for many reasons. There IS a main downtown city section at Buffalo-NiaFls; a feature I prefer. Alb-Sch-Troy-Cohoes (4 downtown sections), in my thinking, are 4 separate small cities that "just happen" to be located near one another=nowdays connected by suburbs built between those cities connecting them into one Metro area. NY State Government Buildings are the main part of downtown Albany otherwise there wouldn't be much of an Albany "downtown" area. I equate Utica-Rome-Herkimer to Binghamton-JC-EnwlEnct-Kirkwood. The unemployment rates for both Utica area and Binghamton area are around 8.5%. Not a lot of jobs or decent paying jobs at U-R-H. MAYBE (not positive), a few better paying jobs at Binghamton. Both the Utica area and the Binghamton area are too small and boring (sorry to say) for me. I realize that job considerations are just/only one of many consideration when selecting a new relocation city.

The selection of a new relocation city involves so many personal preferences, interests, employment opportunities, and other personal considerations that without more input from you, about your number 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9- & 10 requirements, its VERY difficult for us to narrow the city selection down to one or two cities. If you give us more guidance/more of your requirements, we can then give you better answers/information. Good luck to you.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-28-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,281,541 times
Utica is 8.6% which is the same as Syracuse and worse then Binghamton and all much worse then Rochester which is itself horrible.

Basically the whole states in the crapper except Albany which isn't all that and a bag of chippies.

Which still leaves all the other personal preferences in place just hoping to find a job in Syracuse is prolly not a super bright idea.

On the other stuff I don't personally like small cities like Syracuse, Utica and Bighamton. Normally Albany would fall under the same heading but with the state stuff it feels bigger. Utica and Syracuse are more like large villages to me. All the bad of a real city and none of the good.

Rochester is the real deal. Very clean (the 'burbs at least) and a fairly modern feel to it. Its still a fairly small city population wise but its got it all.

Buffalo to me is a real city. Yes its on the small size of real but still real. When I am in Buffalo I know I'm in a city with the good and bad that implies. I actually really hope Buffalo makes a nice rebound though I personally won't have any skin in the game.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM

93,976 posts, read 124,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Utica is 8.6% which is the same as Syracuse and worse then Binghamton and all much worse then Rochester which is itself horrible.

Basically the whole states in the crapper except Albany which isn't all that and a bag of chippies.

Which still leaves all the other personal preferences in place just hoping to find a job in Syracuse is prolly not a super bright idea.

On the other stuff I don't personally like small cities like Syracuse, Utica and Bighamton. Normally Albany would fall under the same heading but with the state stuff it feels bigger. Utica and Syracuse are more like large villages to me. All the bad of a real city and none of the good.

Rochester is the real deal. Very clean (the 'burbs at least) and a fairly modern feel to it. Its still a fairly small city population wise but its got it all.

Buffalo to me is a real city. Yes its on the small size of real but still real. When I am in Buffalo I know I'm in a city with the good and bad that implies. I actually really hope Buffalo makes a nice rebound though I personally won't have any skin in the game.
I wouldn't group Syracuse with Utica or Binghamton, as it is 2 and a half to 3 times bigger as cities. Rochester's unemployment rate is 8%, which is the national rate.

I don't understand. I thought you were a country Guy, not a city Guy. All of those cities are still pretty urban in feel, regardless of size.

Jobs will come down to what you can do and it seems like more people may be applying or looking for jobs. It is interesting that I've met people that have recently moved here from Fargo ND and Bellingham WA(the person last lived in Atlanta). So, it depends on the individual and what they bring to the table.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,281,541 times
The job market is tuff here for sure. Last week I went to HR at my employer to see about a job for a family member. Found out they have added a ton of new requirements for collage and stuff because of how many people are looking for work they can be as picky as they want. Frankly I couldn't get my own job now. A trained monkey can do my job if he can stand the work and hours.

And I am a country boy. But lets face it, cities are where the stuff is. And good sized cities gots the goodies. I'm sitting here now trying to think of a nice place for dinner in about an hour. Sick of all the same old crap in Utica and Syracuse. Kinda maybe semi in the mood for Tully's which is weird cause I hate sports huh?? Guess I'll end up going to the beach again. In Rochester or Buffalo I'm in the mood for several places tonite.

Ah the agony of small town living.

Think I just talked myself into Yesterdays Royale.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Default Major MSA's Population Figures - Cities of New York State

Hi Chad,

I thought you might be interested in knowing the Major NYS Cities MSA's Populations. Then you can compare NY State's Cities to the Cities in Oregon. (Where you live.) These figures are not the population of one specific city; i.e. not Syracuse, nor Utica, nor Glens Falls. Rather, these figures are a total population for the MSA connected to each Metro City.

MSA = Metropolitan Statistical Area

2010 Population Figures For Major Metros/MSA's in New York State

Year ............................................ 2010 ..................................... 2011 Est.

New York City MSA* .................. 18,897,109 ............................. 19,015,900

Albany/Sch/Troy/Cohoes MSA ......... 870,716 ................................. 871,478

Binghamton MSA .......................... 251,725 ................................. 250,074

Buffalo/NiaFls MSA ...................... 1,135,509 .............................. 1,134,034

Elmira MSA ................................... 88,830 ................................... 88,840

Glens Falls MSA ............................ 128,923 ................................. 128,996

Kingston MSA ............................... 182,493 ................................. 182,448

Poughkeepsie/Newburgh/
..Middletown MSA .......................... 670,301 ................................. 672,871

Rochester MSA ............................ 1,054,323 ............................... 1,055,278

Syracuse MSA ................................ 662,577 ................................. 662,553

Utica MSA ...................................... 299,397 ................................. 298,447

*New York City MSA Population Figures include some
Populations in Northern New Jersey & Pennsylvania.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not recommend that you consider Newburgh & Middletown as new relocation cities for you.
I do not recommend Elmira because I don't think it has as good a future as other NYS cities.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are population figures for 3 Cities MSA's in Oregon.

Year ................................................. 2010 ..................................... 2011 Est.

Eugene-OR MSA ................................ 351,715 ................................. 353,416

Medford-OR MSA ............................... 203,206 ................................. 204,822

Salem-OR MSA .................................. 390,738 ................................. 394,865

You can compare New York State Cities MSA's Pops. to Oregon Cities MSA's Populations.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-29-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 PM

I agree with you country boy Sean. I too think that Buffalo has more of a "big city" feel than any of the other large Upstate cities, even including Rochester.

And I agree with you ckhthankgod, as I wouldn't group Syracuse in the same catagory as Utica or Binghamton. Syracuse is 2 times and 2-1/2 times as big as those two other cities.

You 2 guys. I think that maybe there have been people moving to the Syracuse area during the past 6 months. In my Syracuse northern suburbs I see so many out-of-state cars driving the streets, parked in shopping center parking lots doing grocery shopping, and I see out-of-state cars parked in driveways of new homes in my suburbs=those can't all be "just visiting". I know of one, my neighbor across the street from me, his brother moved here from Georgia. He kept his Georgia plates quite a while but now he has NYS license plates. I remember one beautiful new built house in Cicero being empty/available/for sale. Then on a certain day, there was a Florida car and a Florida moving company tractor trailer at that house unloading furniture. "SOLD" sign out on the lawn.

I am aware of 2 other families from Florida who have moved to Syr. Suburbs in the last 6 months. And another family who moved here from Connecticut. Every weekend, especially, I see loads of Canadians all over the Syracuse Suburbs, but of course THEY are here shopping. And I keep seeing Tour Buses here in shopping center parking lots and those buses are not local tour buses. The other day I saw an out-of-state Tour Bus pull into Chuck Hafner's Garden Center/Nursery/Farmers Market/also gifts and people were getting off the bus and going inside the gift building & greenhouses; I could hardly believe it. I very often see tour buses at Christmas Tree Shoppe at Northern Lights Shopping Center and that's not a surprise.

I just wish our whole region could attract more industry or more employment so our cities can be successful. I know its difficult attracting new employers when we are competing with "no regulations" & "no unions" southern states. But regardless of anything I'd never move away from upstate New York State; it has a lot of great qualities.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York