Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,818 times

Advertisements

I am posting this thread because I am wondering if other New Yorkers have moved and are glad they did.

I left NY and moved to North Carolina and love it, people here are to kind. NC has wonderful weather (all four seasons). I love all that NC has to offer the beach and the mountains. I live in the small town of Apex and have wonderful shopping malls, more then what Rochester has to offer. Its such a fast growing place and now the job market is getting better( its still high but the job market is growing fast the way it was before all the mess started.

I love my family but in the next few years they are going to start moving down here. I miss Rochester and my friends but the rest of NY I hate.

So are there any other New yorkers that are glad they left, because I don't won't to be the only one.

Thank you for reading this thread, had a lot to get of my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
What's wrong with the rest of NY? There are some other great cities, the ADK, Niagara falls, NYC, Wine country. The rest of NY offers a lot.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
There are several THREADS on moving back to NY or out of NY; this is only one of them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alban...e-back-ny.html

Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdguy26 View Post
I am posting this thread because I am wondering if other New Yorkers have moved and are glad they did.

I left NY and moved to North Carolina and love it, people here are to kind. NC has wonderful weather (all four seasons). I love all that NC has to offer the beach and the mountains. I live in the small town of Apex and have wonderful shopping malls, more then what Rochester has to offer. Its such a fast growing place and now the job market is getting better( its still high but the job market is growing fast the way it was before all the mess started.

I love my family but in the next few years they are going to start moving down here. I miss Rochester and my friends but the rest of NY I hate.

So are there any other New yorkers that are glad they left, because I don't won't to be the only one.

hahaha talk about coincidence. I also moved from Rochester to Raleigh (and then eventually to Apex)...from 1994-2007....and we then moved BACK to Rochester. Apex is a great town....but it is well on it's way to becoming another Cary. The schools there are also RIDICULOUS....they are generally good quality schools...but Wake County schools and their assignment policies are A JOKE. The triangle area in general is also very homogenous and sterile...everything is brand new and while that is nice at first, eventually...you start to realize how little character and culture there is in the place. Not to mention that the economy down there really isn't great anymore. In fact Rochester has been adding jobs at a faster rate than Raleigh over the past few years. And the overall cost of living is about the same (despite so many people thinking that everything in NY is so much more expensive than NC)

Again, the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is a lovely area (especially Apex with it's nice little downtown area on Salem Street)...but overall while I respect your comments in making this thread...I have to say...I am VERY VERY VERY glad I brought my wife and kids back home to Rochester. I agree with you, NY as a state overall is a huge mess...but Rochester is home and at least here people are aware of the local problems. It was all swept under the rug by the rose-colored glasses wearing new transplants down there!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
A few weeks ago, I heard of a couple from Pleasantville who bought a home in NC and will move there permanently after their home in P-Ville is sold. I also have a family friend from East Brunswick, NJ who moved to NC. This seems to be a growing trend among northeasterners and on the surface appears to be a perfect decision. Is there anything wrong with the picture that I'm not seeing?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
A few weeks ago, I heard of a couple from Pleasantville who bought a home in NC and will move there permanently after their home in P-Ville is sold. I also have a family friend from East Brunswick, NJ who moved to NC. This seems to be a growing trend among northeasterners and on the surface appears to be a perfect decision. Is there anything wrong with the picture that I'm not seeing?

Yes.....NC , and especially the Triangle area, is being overrun and the locals (understandably) aren't particularly happy about it. I was one of the "damn yankees" myself when I lived down there...and I sided with the natives! There was a steady flow of transplants from Upstate NY, Ohio, and Western Pennsylvania to NC throughout the 90's and because of the cultural similarities and similar cost of living between the two areas, it was not a big deal. Then in the early 2000's....there was just an unprecedented WAVE of folks from the larger, more expensive areas.....especially Long Island, New Jersey, Northern Virginia, and Florida (the state that all the northerners moved to before.....and then it got overcrowded and expensive...imagine that!). These folks had overpriced houses in those aforementioned markets and their mouths simply watered when they saw the kind of brand new, much bigger house they could buy with the obscene profit they'd get from selling their generally older and smaller houses where they were. And all that...was a game changer. Raleigh is now more congested and more expensive than most of the northeast outside the Bos-Wash corridor. The traffic has gotten worse, and the school system is A MESS. Not to mention that the economy isn't that bright spot that it once was. Some of the major employers at RTP have cut back dramatically on their local workforce (IBM, Sony-Ericson which completely closed down all operations at RTP) and the big 3 universities (UNC, Duke, NC State) are dealing with major budget cuts. The housing industry also collapsed as it did everywhere.....construction just HALTED. I was down there to visit last year and there were subdivisions that were half-way completed when we left in 2007 that were STILL sitting half-way completed and completely vacant (to the OP who lives in Apex....fyi...think "Villages of Apex" north of downtown!).

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade...but most of the folks who are giddy about leaving NY for NC are very RECENT transplants. For many of those who have been there for more than 5 years....the honeymoon phase is over and while they may not "regret" their move; it isn't necessarily "the best decision ever and a no-brainer"

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
No, but the story that I'minformed2 gave is very real too. There are people that have come back and others that wish to come back. Even with the state's issues, people realize that other states have their issues as well in terms of government. Cost of living in comparison to much of Upstate NY is a wash, if not slightly lower up here. Crime rates in many instances can be higher, given the fact that many Southern states have higher overall crime rates than NY State. Even graduation rates may be lower in some Southern states and that is considering that NYC public schools make up a good chunk of the schools/students in the state. So, sometimes some perspective is needed.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdguy26 View Post

Reading between the lines of your post, are you sure that you are not still trying to convince >>yourself<< that you actually do like living in North Carolina? It sounds to me that maybe you aren't fully sold on your move to N.C.

So you miss Rochester. Maybe you'll be back - Home. Moving away from Home does not have to be forever. Always time to correct a mistake.

And you hate the rest of New York? What is that all about? What did Syracuse-Watertown-Adirondacks-Albany-Mohawk Valley-Binghamton-Finger Lakes-Buffalo ever do/hurt/offend to you? Are you sure that you weren't just unhappy with your situation in Rochester in some way and only needed to just make a change in your life-situation right-there-in-Rochester rather than move to a new state? Maybe you just needed a different job, just needed a different apartment, just needed to meet/make some new friends, or just something else small to make you happy right at Home in Rochester?

I truly hope that you are or become happy in North Carolina. But if you find that the "grass isn't really greener" in N.C., you can always correct a mistaken move. Life is full of choices. We all make changes to our decisions and each of us has the right to make our own decisions; no one should or can decide things for us as individuals. Yeah. I changed my mind. Best regards to you.

Yeah. I moved south to Orlando-Florida from New York State several years ago and then moved back to the great Syracuse area. Yeah, I know; Southerners don't think Florida is the south. From about Ocala northward is the south as far as I'm concerned. I Love New York State and would never leave again. New York State has everything anyone could ever want and friendly, intelligent, open-minded, live-and-let-live attitude New York citizens too. All of the Upstate New York areas are good=Western-Central-Northern-Southern Tier-Champlain Valley-Upper Hudson River Valley. There are too many things about the south that I don't like but I won't get into discussing that=it's endless. The only parts of the country that I would ever live are: New York State & the 6 New England states or maybe Washington state & Oregon=the very best areas of the country.

I've had a lot of people who moved to the southern states who can hardly wait to move back north to the northeastern or midwestern states; several have already moved back north. Some of those people intend to move to the Syracuse area. All of Upstate New York State is a good place to live=quality of life, reasonable cost of living, among the lowest home buying prices in the U.S., good place to raise a family, some of the best rated schools & colleges in the country, great expressway & highway systems, great clean drinking water resources statewide, and more qualities.

Read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...s-sunbelt.html

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 05-21-2012 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Why don't you ask an actual New Yorker who has moved to NC about it. There are many, many thousands of them.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why don't you ask an actual New Yorker who has moved to NC about it. There are many, many thousands of them.
Good idea. The post is probably best on the NC board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York