Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 530,516 times

Advertisements

Being that you are interested in Pharmacy and Dentristy I would suggest SUNY Buffalo. I went to this school myself and the Pharmacy program is amoung the best of all NY SUNY schools. Of those who graduate, 98% are placed in positions within the first year of school with a starting salary of $75K. The campus is HUGE with a large community of students. It's a mini-city within Buffalo. Facilities and programs are excellent.

I also went to SUNY Albany and SUNY New Paltz. I get around..lol.. what can I say.

Here's the deal on Albany- medium sized campus, facilities & programs are non impressive and non competitive. It's a party school and it shows.

As for New Paltz- small campus, small hippie town, again I was not impressed with course quality, facitlities and programs. I would definatly not recommend this school especially for your course interests.

At the same time Colombia & NYU are amoung the best of the best. Having these schools on your resume will bring you a LONG way. Although they are very competitive and my not offer you the best package, in the long run they will offer you the most opportunities. Plus living in the NYC area is always the best (in my opinion) for any college student. Lots to do. Lots of opportunities. Lots of options in a nutshell.

I would apply to ALL the schools you are interested. See who gives you the best package. This is very important! Don't limit your options.

I hope this is helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Where you go for undergrad really means nothing for pay-setting purposes. So do not get into huge debt. When you get your Master or Professional degrees go where it counts because it makes a big difference.
What each school is best at and popular majors/acceptance rate/gpa:
nyu-law/business/liberal arts/36%/3.6 gpa
Albany-political science/criminal justice/social-sciences/56%/3.3gpa
Binghamton-psychology/english/business/39%/3.7gpa
Syracuse-psychology/political science/51%/3.6gpa
u of r-business/medical/engienering/48%
RPI-business/engineering/67%
Buffalo-business/psychology/medical/law/ 56%/3.10gpa
Stony brook-business/psychology/47%/3.6 gpa
Columbia-english/economics/medical/law/12%

Old 10-02-2007, 04:25 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
so it seems like NYC universities are more for business people and journalists/writers right? and for me, UofR and SUNY Buffalo would be the best choices?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
No, that's not true.

You should go to the BEST college you get into. Period.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No, that's not true.

You should go to the BEST college you get into. Period.
Most of the colleges the op are looking at are in the top 100 in US news best college poll. Most NYS colleges are the best in the nation. But to go to Nyu or Columbia and have debt in the 50-80k range for undergrad is a not a good ROI. I have a degree from UAlbany and will be getting my mba in a top 30 program. Again it may be nice to receive an undergrad degree from nyu/columbia/ur/rpi but if you are paying most of the bill with loans it is a big mistake unless your degree is Hot and high paying. I think SUNY is one of the best State college programs in america. Not many other states have as good state system as NY. (Maybe Ca and Ma.)

US news Rank

9. Columbia University(NY)
34. New York University
35. University of Rochester(NY)
44. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
50. Syracuse University(NY)
82. SUNY—Binghamton *
96. SUNY—Stony Brook *
118. University at Buffalo—SUNY *

rated best value by princeton review
SUNY—Stony Brook
SUNY—Binghamton

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

you know. i never thought about the debt factor. i guess i'll stick with either stony brook, binghamton, or buffalo

Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
you know. i never thought about the debt factor. i guess i'll stick with either stony brook, binghamton, or buffalo
Us news
UB is rank 17 for pharmacy graduate school
Pharm.D. Admissions: Applying to Pharmacy School
Pharmacists
Pharmacists
Dentists, General
Dentists

Last edited by shibainu; 10-02-2007 at 09:50 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM

thank you so much everyone. you guys have definitely been the most hopeful in my college search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York