Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a place where we can live self-sufficiently, so it has to be good for farming and friendly toward farmers. New York is one of the states we've considered, so here are a few questions.

How are New York's laws and regulations for independent farmers, especially as they relate to being able to set up a farm stand and/or sell the produce you grow?

If you have a property that is your primary residence and you use it for farming, can you get any kind of reduction in your property taxes?

If you can get a property tax reduction, what are the criteria? Must your property be a certain size? Must you devote a certain percentage of its area strictly to agriculture? Must you make a certain amount of money every year from agricultural pursuits on your property?

And if there is a reduction, what / how much is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM

93,380 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Agricultural assessment information

New York Farm Bureau -

Farmers Market Federation of New York

Home Page

Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Hi RomaniGypsy.
I've looked into this myself since my family and I would like to purchase a small farm/homestead in the next few years.

I do know that your property taxes do fall under a different structure if you are a working farm which is taxed substantially less than if you have an "estate" - or acerage in the country that is not working agriculture. Unfortunately, I can't give you numbers but at least you know there is a different structure.

A few good resources:

Cornell Small Farms Program | Serving small farmers in NY and the Northeast

Guide to Starting Your Farm Business in NYS

New York Farm Bureau -

This one has some relevant tax information. The first .pdf page is blank so it looks like its corrupt but its not, just scroll down. It also has alot of links to other information: Guide to Farming in NYS - What every AG Entrepreneur needs to Know

Also- from the Gov's website. I've heard he's been trying to reverse the trend disappearing small farms in NY: Farm NY

And just because I thought this was a cool article. I think on small operations, draft animals make alot of sense. Of course, if you need a tractor for a larger operation, making your own biodiesel seems the way to go in my opinion. LOL On Small Farms, Hoof Power Returns

But anyway, if you can, visiting some of the farmer's markets and talking with the people there would be another good way of getting information. The one in Ithaca is big and also the Cooperative Extension office at Cornell University is in Ithaca.

This is the FSA site for NY. I know that you have mentioned that you prefer less intrusion by the Gov't. However, it behooves us all to be aware. I was trying to keep an eye on the National ID issue for animals. It apparently only applies to interstate commerce of animals- which is even more of a reason to farm and do business locally.
FSA - New York Home

New York has some excellent farmland, and plenty of water. The climate can be very diverse. You were talking about the southern tier. You will notice that there are at around 3 different hardiness zones depending on the terrain so you'll want to take a look at that. Also, the farther west you go, you become more subject to lake effect snow in the winter. If you're snow-sports people, that's something to keep in mind! But it is also colder in winter.

Anyway, hope this information gives you a starting place.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Almost every town has a town code and zoning. They each have their own definition of a farm. If the land is zoned for a farm, make sure you can also have your stand. The town will tell you. If you buy it and do it out of code? It can cause grief.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Good point BuffaloTransplant.
That is another thing to be aware of. Unlike some states, New York has no county land. Everything is within a township -even in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Be aware that New York is likely to allow high-volume hydro-fracking natural gas extraction soon. This WILL radically change the character and quality of life in portions of New York state, particularly the southern tier. Those who say its 'no big deal' and you won't even notice it haven't been to NE PA to see what widespread gas development has done to that area over the past five or so years, and this issue should be of particular concern to anyone interested in small-scale/independent diversified and/or organic farming. Proximity to NYC and a market with a very large (and growing) demand for 'local' and organic farm products is a big plus for smallholder operations in NYC, but the threat of fracking and its potential effects on water supply, air quality, organic certification, etc. is something to think about before purchasing property in the state for farming. Also of note, if/when fracking does begin to ramp up in the state, a vast network of gathering and transmission pipelines will become necessary and the deep pockets and political connections of the oil and gas industry within the agencies that are supposed to be regulating them means they find approval for use of eminent domain in the case of pipelines relatively easy to get. You may buy your dream farm only to find half of it seized through eminent domain for a natural gas pipeline right-of-way.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
My wife and I are looking for a place where we can live self-sufficiently, so it has to be good for farming and friendly toward farmers. New York is one of the states we've considered, so here are a few questions.

How are New York's laws and regulations for independent farmers, especially as they relate to being able to set up a farm stand and/or sell the produce you grow?

If you have a property that is your primary residence and you use it for farming, can you get any kind of reduction in your property taxes?

If you can get a property tax reduction, what are the criteria? Must your property be a certain size? Must you devote a certain percentage of its area strictly to agriculture? Must you make a certain amount of money every year from agricultural pursuits on your property?

And if there is a reduction, what / how much is it?
Most of you questions depend on the property you purchase - where it is, which county/town/village/city, zoning, etc. The answer is it depends.

One thing I learned recently as I am purchasing a home in the Finger Lakes and I wanted some acreage is that you better have cash on hand if you want to buy acreage. My realtor has people with excellent credit, a lot of money down - beyond 20%, and have not been able to qualify to purchase several properties because they couldn't get financing. I had this problem as well with just 7 acres. They are buying over 20 acres. They've been working on this for almost a year! My bank has told me that they know of no bank willing to finance farms currently. Everything with more than 5 acres is being labeled a farm for some odd reason. They're having a VERY hard time getting properties appraised as well. The house I bought has 1 acre and it BARELY appraised.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Be aware that New York is likely to allow high-volume hydro-fracking natural gas extraction soon. This WILL radically change the character and quality of life in portions of New York state, particularly the southern tier. Those who say its 'no big deal' and you won't even notice it haven't been to NE PA to see what widespread gas development has done to that area over the past five or so years, and this issue should be of particular concern to anyone interested in small-scale/independent diversified and/or organic farming. Proximity to NYC and a market with a very large (and growing) demand for 'local' and organic farm products is a big plus for smallholder operations in NYC, but the threat of fracking and its potential effects on water supply, air quality, organic certification, etc. is something to think about before purchasing property in the state for farming. Also of note, if/when fracking does begin to ramp up in the state, a vast network of gathering and transmission pipelines will become necessary and the deep pockets and political connections of the oil and gas industry within the agencies that are supposed to be regulating them means they find approval for use of eminent domain in the case of pipelines relatively easy to get. You may buy your dream farm only to find half of it seized through eminent domain for a natural gas pipeline right-of-way.
I guess I was figuring that this "fracking" phenomenon wouldn't take hold in NY the way it has taken hold in PA. To the best of my knowledge, a lot of people are up in arms against it. My guess is that, if it was such a great thing, it wouldn't have so many opponents. After all, crude oil drilling is happening everywhere and nobody complains about that... probably because it doesn't impact their drinking water or cause earthquakes. I believe we should use our own resources but not at the expense of people. I don't care about what animal species get displaced as a result of us exploiting our natural resources, because animals can adapt way better than people can. (If you don't believe that, you haven't seen the crap my cat will eat... including actual crap... and still be perfectly healthy.)

Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Consider the land which is currently having people stop farming -- north to the Lake Ontario Shore, from west of Rochester to up by Sackets Harbor. It is not high on the fracking area list -- and some farms are basically abandoned up towards Sackets, according to a friend who grew up in the area; she said Europeans were buying them ( this is 2-3 years ago).I know people are stopping in areas north of Batavia -- simply by age and kids not wanting to go into farming.

If you widen your search, I think you will find farm land.

Note: I am giving the "big towns nearby" as locations. Farms are in the outlands from them

Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I guess I was figuring that this "fracking" phenomenon wouldn't take hold in NY the way it has taken hold in PA. To the best of my knowledge, a lot of people are up in arms against it. My guess is that, if it was such a great thing, it wouldn't have so many opponents. After all, crude oil drilling is happening everywhere and nobody complains about that... probably because it doesn't impact their drinking water or cause earthquakes. I believe we should use our own resources but not at the expense of people. I don't care about what animal species get displaced as a result of us exploiting our natural resources, because animals can adapt way better than people can. (If you don't believe that, you haven't seen the crap my cat will eat... including actual crap... and still be perfectly healthy.)
Yes, there are a lot of people who understand that fracking as it is currently practiced if a very bad idea with the potential for disastrous long-term consequences, but the oil & gas industry is very wealthy and has a lot of power and is going to great lengths to see that NYS is opened up to fracking. NYS does have a greater legacy of conservationist attitude and practice than, say PA, which has a long history of acceptance of disruptive resource extraction, but ultimately it will likely come down to money. In fact, as we begin down the curve of global fossil fuel depletion more oil wells are going to be fracked as well, to 'stimulate' what last little bit can be had from them. It is the same practice as fracking for natural gas, and carries the same risks and dangers- people will begin complaining about the crude drilling as fracking becomes more widespread with those wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York