Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,993 times

Advertisements

My dad's family were born, according to legend and the census, in the Geneva NY area. I am interested in obtaining a birth certificate for my grandfather. I know his sister was born in Geneva but his social security card says he was born in Seneca Falls.

I've hit a brick wall with my ancestry on his side of the family and would love to find out through his birth certificate.

Ideas on where I should call/email? I'm ready to come to new york but not sure if I should go to Albany or to Geneva or Seneca Falls.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamjr8 View Post
My dad's family were born, according to legend and the census, in the Geneva NY area. I am interested in obtaining a birth certificate for my grandfather. I know his sister was born in Geneva but his social security card says he was born in Seneca Falls.

I've hit a brick wall with my ancestry on his side of the family and would love to find out through his birth certificate.

Ideas on where I should call/email? I'm ready to come to new york but not sure if I should go to Albany or to Geneva or Seneca Falls.

Thanks.
When was he born?

http://www.senecafalls.com/town-clerk-vitalrecords.php

http://www.senecafalls.com/pdfs/genealogical.pdf

Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
You might have to go to all 3 to see what they have since you aren't aure about which it is. How long ago was he born? You may run into some issues depending on how long ago it.

I recently needed my birth certificate and had to pay over $50 for a statement of birth to the vital records in Albany. They didn't send a copy of my birth certificate either. Just some goofy computer print out. Cost a small fortune for what I got! And I had to give them all kinds of details about my birth.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Albany will not give you the useful long form birth certificate listing all of the data ( parents, their trade, etc) like Buffalo will. A Town Clerk will have at least the parent's names. (I had to supply Albany with all my long form data before I could get a copy of my own Birth Cert. when I could not find the original. Found the original a few weeks later, before the Albany one came - and it just lists my parents names // big difference: my hubby was born Buffalo - it has every bit of info on family you could want: parents, jobs, address, their ages, etc)

No records were kept in Albany until 1881 ( supposed to be 1880; they aren't there for the most part). I got lucky and got some records from a Town Clerk for 1847 and 1848 - for my hubby's family. Albany would not have had them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York