Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM

213 posts, read 448,996 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who lives in Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse that thinks "The Big Apple" does more bad than good? I think that the government in Albany isn't doing enough to help upstate. Sure, Buffalo got a billion dollars, (well not really), but it is LONG overdue. I mean, look at all the grants that the city gets compared to the rest of the cities. I think that Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse should each get at least $2,000,000,000 each. Or better yet, have the state split in half.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Am I the only one who lives in Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse that thinks "The Big Apple" does more bad than good? I think that the government in Albany isn't doing enough to help upstate. Sure, Buffalo got a billion dollars, (well not really), but it is LONG overdue. I mean, look at all the grants that the city gets compared to the rest of the cities. I think that Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse should each get at least $2,000,000,000 each. Or better yet, have the state split in half.
Have you tried looking at the tax receipts versus tax spending for New York City and the rest of the state? Apparently, NYC has to end up giving a lot more than it gets.

I do really like all of New York, but I think this divisiveness is silly. I don't see how NYC is forcing the other parts of the state to be neglected since its city government has a pretty strong system and legislates itself rather than forcing heaps on Albany and meanwhile NYC's size and attractiveness internationally means a huge tax windfall going into the rest of the state. If you think about it, most of upstate's economic slump in the second half of the 20th century had nothing to do with NYC--it was a decline in American manufacturing, the rise of automation, and increasing globalized trade. There are many communities throughout the northeast and midwest that were NOT within New York state and had similar economic underpinnings to what Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse had and are arguably doing a good deal worse. It just seems like a giant strawman to go after New York City and a complete misuse of time, attention and resources when it comes to actually improving the situation for all of New York.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
NYC gets a good part of our hydro from Niagara Falls. I personally think we should charge them 3-4X as much for it. Dairy, farm produce, many small businesses, lots of tourism? If we were to chop off NY by extending the PA line east, I think NYC and the southern counties and LI would find life more expensive. Since many people can literally telecommute, living up in this part of the state is a lot cheaper.

NYC thinks we drain them, so it is all relevant.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
How is NYC a drain on NY state?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
You think Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester should get $2 billion each? Where will that money come from?

NY is the most divided state I've ever been to. NYC people don't even acknowledge any other city in NY. Its hard to get NYers to even acknowledge that White Plains exists. Upstate is the place where tourists get wine and the prisons are located. Albany is that place up in the wilderness that makes laws and stuff. Buffalo has a football team. Syracuse snows a lot and has a university by the same name. Rochester has something to do with Kodak. This is how the majority of downstaters think. Even LI and NJ people are suburbanites, the bridge and tunnel crowd.

IMO, one of NY's biggest faults is the sheer size of NYC and no real sizeable, vibrant second city. NYC is a behemoth. It dwarfs even LA. LA feels like a town compared to NYC. Then you have....Buffalo? A city smaller than Toledo and half the size of Fresno, CA. Anything outside the NYC sphere of influence, unfortunately, just seems forgotten in NYS.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,520 times
NYC dominates policy in NY state. The city attracts businesses no matter how tax unfriendly it is to do business in NY because, hey it's New York City. The rest of the state is stuck with policies that hurt any place other than NYC and there's nothing we can do about it. No matter how much money NYC throws our way it's impossible to measure how much growth has been lost over the years as a result of their politics, which run the state. I'm all for secession, not because I hate NYC or anything, but because we are not one state, NYC is a separate universe. It should be it's own little state.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
NYC dominates policy in NY state. The city attracts businesses no matter how tax unfriendly it is to do business in NY because, hey it's New York City. The rest of the state is stuck with policies that hurt any place other than NYC and there's nothing we can do about it. No matter how much money NYC throws our way it's impossible to measure how much growth has been lost over the years as a result of their politics, which run the state. I'm all for secession, not because I hate NYC or anything, but because we are not one state, NYC is a separate universe. It should be it's own little state.
I agree with you. NYC, Long Island should be a special admin district, like Washington DC. The only thing that is important is NYC can still attract businesses simply because it is NYC. They should do just fine by itself.

NY state can concentrate on what it does best. Wine, dairy, farms, tourism would probably flourish even more now that the lawmakers in Albany have nothing else to pander over.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You think Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester should get $2 billion each? Where will that money come from?

NY is the most divided state I've ever been to. NYC people don't even acknowledge any other city in NY. Its hard to get NYers to even acknowledge that White Plains exists. Upstate is the place where tourists get wine and the prisons are located. Albany is that place up in the wilderness that makes laws and stuff. Buffalo has a football team. Syracuse snows a lot and has a university by the same name. Rochester has something to do with Kodak. This is how the majority of downstaters think. Even LI and NJ people are suburbanites, the bridge and tunnel crowd.

IMO, one of NY's biggest faults is the sheer size of NYC and no real sizeable, vibrant second city. NYC is a behemoth. It dwarfs even LA. LA feels like a town compared to NYC. Then you have....Buffalo? A city smaller than Toledo and half the size of Fresno, CA. Anything outside the NYC sphere of influence, unfortunately, just seems forgotten in NYS.
It's a matter of geography. NYC is a behemoth because of location. It's position was a major asset. When the Erie Canal was built, it basically outpaced all of the other East Coast ports. Goods when from NYC to Buffalo, and westward. NYC is basically a gateway because everything went through the Erie Canal. New York City also had a productive hinterland. Alot of products would come into NY through NYC and alot of goods being exported came out of NYC. NYC developed a reputation and more people flocked to it. Buffalo got its start because of its strategic position on the Erie Canal, and it was a major flour milling center. I would imagine that because Buffalo is situation below Niagara Falls, it was a major break in bulk point. Goods coming from the St. Lawrence river might have needed to stop at the falls, and Buffalo, perhaps, grew because of its strategic position. Break in bulk point is where you have goods transferred from one form of transportation to another. It became a major manufacturing center because of its position. You have coal coming in from West Virginia and iron coming from Michigan.

What hurt Buffalo is what hurt other major cities from Pittsburgh to Milwaukee. The demise of the steel industry really hurt Buffalo. New York City was a major "everything" center, so it became a behemoth, and stayed one. New York is a gateway city. People are always going to or through its location gave it an advantage in the beginning.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 AM

341 posts, read 684,002 times
Quote:
No, you're not the only one in NYS who fell for that.

NYC's economy is larger than most nations, has almost 50% of the state's population in it (Not quite, it's about 47%), and contributes 54% to the tax register. It only gets about 51% of the state spending.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
I constantly read where upstate feels NYC gets a disproportionate share of attention and money and downstate feels upstate is a welfare cousin both sides are probally right. As people have just posted NYC's tax contribution to the state is probally more than the everthing else put together and their take is probally far less. One poster says "NYC gets a good part of our hydro from Niagara Falls. I personally think we should charge them 3-4X as much for it" , what does that do? They also say "Dairy, farm produce, many small businesses, lots of tourism? If we were to chop off NY by extending the PA line east, I think NYC and the southern counties and LI would find life more expensive", why? If you are going to price your dairy products or any other comodity higher because it is NYC then they will go elswhere for a supply and who will suffer? Chobani doesn't need that much milk.

Upstate need to continue moving forward and realise what was is no more. Cities need to find a niche that they can server a purpose for and stop lamenting that NYC gets all the attention, New York is a major world city, Rochester and Buffalo are not. You don't think Pittsburg feels like it's always second to Philly? Yet they have recreated themselves as a major market and ranks in the top 10 of most polls.

Just some thoughts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York