Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM

128 posts, read 250,724 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Thank you for reading my post

In about 3 years I plan to purchase a house or an apartment (whichever is more affordable/fitting to what I'm looking for) and thought I'd start searching for a good area to live for myself. I'm currently 29, single, and work in downtown Manhattan. My budget will be around 200K. I realize that's not much at all, especially for New York prices, and don't expect to find myself a fancy/luxurious place but hope to find something decent. The most important factors to me are affordability and commute, as long as it is not over 2 hours long. In a perfect world I dream of living in a nice rural place, but not too secluded . I don't know the chances of that dream ever becoming a reality but one can hope I currently don't own a car, but plan to buy one closer to the move in date if it becomes a necessity, i.e the area that I choose to live in doesn't have shopping within a walking distance, I need my car to help me commute to work, etc. I realize this questions might be really broad and not sure if my options are very limited but I would love to hear any advice.

Hopefully from your suggestions I can start visiting different areas in New York and will certainly try to keep this thread updated with my findings.

Thank you so much!!
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM

222 posts, read 715,061 times
In Sullivan County you could get a house for under 200K, but your commute would be longer than 2 hours. Another possibility might be Orange County, but prices are higher there.

Last edited by galee; 05-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: TMI

Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
I would look in NJ as it seems there's more variety among towns in NJ, with varying prices. Rural is very hard within 2 hours from NYC. Here's an example of a $200k house in a suburban area close to the beach that needs work but could work. Also, its closer to 1 hour from here:

22 Johnson Ter, Hazlet, NJ 07734 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Also, check towns in far western NJ in Warren County. They're cheaper, more rural, but the commute would be closer to 2 hours. Phillipsburg for example:

248 Belview Rd, Phillipsburg, NJ 08865 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York