Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to take a fall foliage trip to the Catskills this fall (just a day trip, not planning to stay overnight). We can do it either Saturday, Oct. 5 or Saturday, Oct. 12. Based on current observations, which weekend will likely be better this year? Last year, we took our trip on Oct. 6, and the foliage was nice, but I know every year is different. I have found the foliage reports online to be mostly useless, to be honest (last year, the people on this board seemed to agree with me).

Also, what routes do people recommend? We like Route 23A a lot, so we will definitely use that? What else do you recommend? In the reservoir area, which is more scenic: Route 28 or Route 28A? Last year, we used Route 28, and I'm wondering if we shuld try 28A this time, or stay with 28.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:54 PM

76 posts, read 136,449 times
I don't think it matters which weekend you chose as somebody will tell you the colors were better last week.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 AM

78 posts, read 274,957 times
Mid-October

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 48,155 times
It always depends but definitely around the middle of October is a safe bet. It should last until the beginning of November.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,041,281 times
28A is more scenic, and either weekend is probably OK, but I wouldn't push it past the 12th... we are creeping up on peak pretty quickly.

23 from Catskill to Windham also offers some beautiful views.

On the way back you can cross the Rip Van Winkle and drive south on 9G towards Poughkeepsie, lots of beautiful vistas of the Catskills over the Hudson.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
28A is more scenic, and either weekend is probably OK, but I wouldn't push it past the 12th... we are creeping up on peak pretty quickly.

23 from Catskill to Windham also offers some beautiful views.

On the way back you can cross the Rip Van Winkle and drive south on 9G towards Poughkeepsie, lots of beautiful vistas of the Catskills over the Hudson.
Seems I'm getting mixed info on Oct. 5 vs Oct. 12. Are the responses based on current observation, or based on history?

All things being equal, my preference would be for Oct. 5, since if the weather is bad (or it doesn't work out for whatever reason), we have Oct. 12 as a backup. If we plan for Oct. 12, and the weather is bad (or it doesn't work out for whatever reason), we're out of luck (we're not available Oct. 19, and that's probably too late anyway).

As for what route to take: traditionally, we enter the Catskill region by taking the Taconic to Route 199 to the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge. Is that the most scenic way to enter? From there, we take Route 209 to Route 28. Hvexpatinct suggests that 28A is more scenic around the reservoir than 28, so we can take 28A, back to 28.

From there, what is the best way to see 23A? Last year, if I remember right, we took 214, but that puts us near the middle of 23A. If I remember right, we turned left onto 23A west, then continued west onto 23, and turned around somewhere near it crossed Route 30 (I wasn't sure where to go from there).

I don't remember what we did from there, but I do remember that we somehow returned to the part of 23A that we misssed (east of 214), and I remember doing at least part of 23A in both directions. I seem to remember the most spectacular part of 23A being east of 214, but I don't remember which direction. Does anyone know? I also remember doing the parallel section of 23. I also remember using either 32 or 9W, but don't remember which one or which part. What do you recommend? I'm wondering if when we take 214 east from 28 if we're better off going east on 23A, and then maybe turning around somewhere after 23A ends to redo all of 23A.

I also remember taking 23 over the Rip Van Winkle Bridge to look for a scenic route on the east side of the river, but didn't really find anything. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York