Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 17,541 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Glens Falls NY. I recently have been spending some time there trying to decide if it would be a good place to live/invest and it seems to have a lot of promise.

From what I am told, there are currently 80 million dollars of active invesment projects going on within a few blocks of downtown (Glen Street):

-South Street (a brownfield redevelopment district) starting with the old dress factory (Lofts on South) which will be a mix of retail and residential lofts apartments.
-The Empire Theater on South Street which will be a mix of commercial, retail and luxury condos
-Bay Street (the old Rogers building) which will be a mix of retail and luxury condos complete with indoor swimming pool, putting greens, indoor movie theater etc
-Market Street (the old Sears Roebuck building) perhaps a sundry items store much like the Putnam Street Market in Saratoga
-Crandall Square (the old monestary by St Mary's academy), new luxury condos
-New municipal parking garage (195 spaces) behind the Lofts building on South Street.
-Luxury condos accross the street from Saratoga Hospital (from 350-900k per unit).

This is just the tip of the ice berg of what I am hearing going on in downtown Glens Falls and that is only the stuff currently being developed. Glens Falls has already seen millions of dollars invested in a newly renovated Glen Street with a new round-a-bout, upgrades (substantial) to Saratoga Hospital and tons of other things going on there.

With it's close proximity to Lake George, West Mountain, Albany and other Adirondack location, I'm thinking this area is worth a new look.

Has anyone else done any due diligence in downtown Glens Falls that has anything to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM

155 posts, read 849,866 times
I think it is worth a look as well. I love the old architecture there, and it definitely has that throwback, upstate city feel- many old buildings still intact. In the summers it is an ideal little city being so close to Saratoga and the Adirondacks, Lake George, etc. The only drawback is of course the winters- it's quite cold up there. And it's that far enough away from Albany to make for an impractical commute. The ingredients are definitely there, but the last two I mentioned definitely hurt the place.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 30,133 times
Smile Has Anyone Seen Crandall Square Condomium?? These Condos Blew Me Away!!

I was in Downtown Glens Falls today and was amazed at the transformation that has taken place. You would never recognize the place from a year ago. I stopped into the open house at Crandall Square Condominium. A friend of mine visited the new Condos and told me I must see this place.

I could't believe my eyes when I walked into the Model Unit. The finishes were unreal. Where do I start?? These are all custom designed to a purchasers liking. You should see the custom kitchens, wet bar, granite, jetted jacuzzi tubs, crown molding. When I walked into the place, the Hallway was all granite. The floors were Amercian Cherry and there were hand painted murals on natural stone backsplashes.

If you are even thinking about moving to Glens Falls, you need to go and see this place. It is located at 93 Maple Street on the corner of Church Street. I got an information package and there is a Virtual Tour at:

CirclePix Tour

Way to go Glens Falls!! I am totally impressed with what is happening in this City. I also bumped into a Crandall Square Resident who just moved in and the guy was raving about the place and how nice it is to live in the City within walking distance of everything.

Crandall Square Condos made me a believer that this City is really taking off and these High End Condos are appealing to many people. Go and see them

Last edited by lakegeorgeboater; 02-16-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 13,130 times
Glens Falls is so nice. The people are great. I still feel nervous about moving there because i know not a soul there. I hate where i live now because its bad here. Wish me luck. Glen Falls is the best place.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
I spent a few evenings in Glens Falls. I don't have much to add other than that they have a nice beer festival every winter at the Glens Falls hotel and a really good brewpub called Davidsons Brothers (even Saratoga doesn't have a brewpub). The downtown is really clean and aesthetically pleasing. I heard there is a growing art culture there as well and even a dinner theater I've been meaning to visit.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 23,964 times
Default Moving to Glens Falls....?

Ive been contemplating movin to GF and wanted to know if there were any other drawbacks, besides the cold weather (which i love) to living there, cuz as far as i can tell it seems like a pretty great place - low crime rate, close to some great snowboarding, and good brewpubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
I heard there is a growing art culture there as well and even a dinner theater I've been meaning to visit.
I dont suppose you'd know any more about that? Culture in an area definitely means a lot to me. I'm originally from PA, stuck in Arkansas now, and its not that great. Not a whole lot of diversity....

Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeuss1621 View Post
Ive been contemplating movin to GF and wanted to know if there were any other drawbacks, besides the cold weather (which i love) to living there, cuz as far as i can tell it seems like a pretty great place - low crime rate, close to some great snowboarding, and good brewpubs.

I dont suppose you'd know any more about that? Culture in an area definitely means a lot to me. I'm originally from PA, stuck in Arkansas now, and its not that great. Not a whole lot of diversity....
Also, Glens Falls is a cheaper alternative to nearby Saratoga Springs. Here's more on Glens Falls: http://www.cityofglensfalls.com/
Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Glens Falls Civic Center: Your Center For Sports And Entertainment In Upstate New York

Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Glens Falls is nice but lately I've been hearing a lot of talk about the crime there, especially from the locals.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times
How about property tax rates? Is the property tax in Glens Falls much higher than a comparable property in Warren County in general?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
Glens Falls is nice but lately I've been hearing a lot of talk about the crime there, especially from the locals.
In terms of what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York