Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:39 PM

332 posts, read 613,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Florida gets more immigrants than NY, plus a lot of young people like warmer weather as well. Plus keep in mind most towns in upstate NY continue to shrink after the great industrial collapse. NYC is really the only part of the state not experiencing population loss, ESPECIALLY of young people.
The overall population of NYS is increasing, just not as fast as Florida.

And we have at least 7 years to worry about decreased funding, etc as it won't be official until the next census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM

286 posts, read 555,319 times
I already have a family member who left New York for Texas and two more are seriously considering moving.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...-growth-states

Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Are people moving to Florida for practical reasons such as jobs, education or healthcare? Or for superficial reasons such as the sun, the beach and this idea of paradise? I think the growth in Texas is much more realistic. Florida's fast growth could just be a result of an aging population.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Hmm I hear a lot of people are leaving florida too because of the economy.
I have been to plenty of hip places through out NYC in the past few years and encountered plenty of Transplants. After Ohio and Iowa, I came across many young Floridians who have no intention of moving back to Florida and will pay arm and a leg to remain in expensive NYC. Again I don't blame these folks on leaving Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Swampland. Florida definitely has plenty of their own problems to worry about in which overpopulation will only add to it. From lack of laws to being underfunded in the case of a massive natural disaster to those that need income vs those that can retire there without it. I doubt they'll gain much by having more people other than be able to get a 6th or 7th lane added on I-95. The tri-rail is like 3 cars long. There is absolutely no consolidation or efficiency of resources. Lack of mom and pop shops, basically a giant creation by corporate America. Even the supermarket industry is a monopoly (Publix). The most basic of a business as a deli if unheard of down there. One day they'll have to actually collect some taxes.
I agree here. Florida has fair share of problems, hell everywhere does including NYC which its problems seems not a problem for you. Overpopulation sucks where ever you go and always add to problems. Notice NYC subway system with more and more delays and track work lately, why, constant use and more and more ridership, which is good and bad. But back to Florida, I have to say its one of the few states I would love to avoid and not worth moving there. I visited Florida once for Disney world and vowed never to visit this place again until I have my own kids and so far kept with my promise. There is nothing attractive about Florida and the water there taste horrible. I don't blame young Transplants who are from Florida and move to NYC for leaving their state.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Are people moving to Florida for practical reasons such as jobs, education or healthcare? Or for superficial reasons such as the sun, the beach and this idea of paradise? I think the growth in Texas is much more realistic. Florida's fast growth could just be a result of an aging population.
Persons have been moving from Staten Island to Florida for years now, especially retired "young" civil servants such as fire or police. No income tax, property taxes are much lower and IIRC paid when the property is sold, estate taxes lower, etc.....

Employment wise as with much of the South you are better making NY money here then moving down there and or having a skill or whatever that is in demand. Know nurses that moved down to Florida and came right back because the money is better in NYC. So they are renting or whatever their homes in Fla. while working up here.

Again you have to look at where persons are leaving NY from and who they are; NYC's population is growing according to the last census data, while upstate continues to empty out. Also older middle class blacks, Hispanics/Latinos are moving out of NYC at retirement to the South because their pension/savings/SSA will go further.

Will also say plenty of young college graduates are leaving NYC because they simply cannot find good work and or get ahead here. Several young cousins have moved to Atlanta in the past few years and more are planning to follow.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

And we have at least 7 years to worry about decreased funding, etc as it won't be official until the next census.
Yes, if you count NYC, the overall population of NYS is increasing because metro NY still has population growth. Buffalo, NY has lost 10% of its population since 2000, and other upstate counties and cities CONTINUE to lose population as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have been to plenty of hip places through out NYC in the past few years and encountered plenty of Transplants. After Ohio and Iowa, I came across many young Floridians who have no intention of moving back to Florida and will pay arm and a leg to remain in expensive NYC. Again I don't blame these folks on leaving Florida.

I agree here. Florida has fair share of problems, hell everywhere does including NYC which its problems seems not a problem for you. Overpopulation sucks where ever you go and always add to problems. Notice NYC subway system with more and more delays and track work lately, why, constant use and more and more ridership, which is good and bad. But back to Florida, I have to say its one of the few states I would love to avoid and not worth moving there. I visited Florida once for Disney world and vowed never to visit this place again until I have my own kids and so far kept with my promise. There is nothing attractive about Florida and the water there taste horrible. I don't blame young Transplants who are from Florida and move to NYC for leaving their state.
And yet, twice as many New Yorkers move to Florida than Floridians move to NYC. Its in the stats from the census bureau.

And you and some other NYC make a critical mistake. You are comparing NYC to the entire state of Florida and that is a false comparasion. You need to compare the entire state of NY to the entire state of Florida.

How many people do you meet who are moving to upstate NY cities like Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochestor, Albany, etc? Many of these towns were hit hard by the collapse of Kodak, the shrinkage of IBM and Xerox, and the collapsing steel industry. Also, upstate NY is cold.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Some people do move to Florida for jobs, education or healthcare. Read the article. Compare Florida to NYS , not NYC, and the economic picture is vastly better.

Most of upstate NY has two main sources of revenue. Education (there are a lot of universities and colleges upstate) and prisons. The agricultural sector of the economy upstate has shrank as well.

Florida has tourism, healthcare, aerospace, banking (Miami is a business center for Latin America and the Caribbean0_ , media (Miami is a media center for Latin America and the Caribbean), industry (while upstate NY has lost nearly all its industries).

New York used to be the most populous state. California surpassed NY as number one. Then Texas, and now Florida. NYC residents, if you go across UPSTATE NY you will understand WHY.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Either this year or next, NY will fall behind Florida in population. The consequences of this is that New York will lose members in the House of Representatives and will also lose federal funding for a variety of projects and programs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/ny...opulation.html
I saw this coming from a million miles away. I was also expecting NYS to fall to forth place soon. I wonder how many more seats will NYS loose in congress? Not for me but for many that I know, Florida is a very attractive state for many New Yorkers young and old a like. Also like NY much of Florida job growth is low income jobs which are never promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Florida probably already long surpassed New York due to Florida's massive undocumented population..

The only thing that is keeping NYS population afloat is downstate region which has a high birth rate, plenty of immigrants legal and illegal, and lets not forget plenty of Transplants from other states, however people are still leaving NYS and also NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everyone sees a booming NYC and assumes NYS as a whole is doing well, which is not true.

Upstate NY is hurting very badly. There is simply very little work in many towns/areas to keep young people or anyone else up there. Manufacturing is pretty much gone, Kodak and other large employers are either gone or drastically scaled down. Then there is the fact you really have to like cold weather to live up there, cause in winter you will get it and snow.
I don't know how or why people see NYC NYS as separate entities. It boggles my head, NYC is part and integral part of NYS. But you are right though about the manufacturing. NY is part of the rustbelt region and again much of this region has been deindustrialized with most of factories relocating to right to work states of the south which offer no union or out of the country all together. What hurts NYS is that its not a business friendly place as of lately thanks to policies of the state. If I remember correctly, the massacre at the Sandy Hook school. People including the governor wanted to close down Remington Arms factory in upstate New York which makes assault rifles, the very same rifle that killed all those kids. Police makers wanted this factory closed which will hurt hundreds employed at the factory, but also many other business that depend on the factory to make a living from restaurants, cleaners and banks. These business would have dried up and hurt the local town if policy makers closed down that assault rifle factory.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:38 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

No, the population of NYC is increasing (for the first time in decades) as more persons move into the City instead of moving out, and or the increasing birth rate especially among immigrant populations.

Upstate NY is a whole other ball of wax. The area has been shedding jobs for decades as the main employers (manufacturing) have been closing up shop. Military bases have closed, GM closed it's plants, Kodak went bankrupt, and so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York