Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 AM

88 posts, read 530,436 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As a child I it was a tradition in my home on Christmas Eve to drive around the nieghborhood and check out all the effort people put into decorating their homes. It brings back fond memories for me of my family & I singing christmas carols as we looked at all the decorations... I know it sounds a little Brady in the Bunchish...but it really was fun as a child. Now that I have a little one, I want to carry on the tradition.

This year I want to hit up all those homes that people spend endless hours decorating. Does anyone know where we can find the creme of the crop decorated homes/ neighborhoods??

Any information will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Nobody? Geeze!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM

131 posts, read 741,956 times
Niagara Falls - Festival of Lights!!!! Spectacular.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks Heatherette, I'll check into it!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM

131 posts, read 741,956 times
I guess I should have mentioned that most of the winter light action happens on the Canadian side. Big fireworks display over the falls, as well, in the evenings - free. Well worth the trip to Niagara Falls.

Website: Visit Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Light | Niagara Winter Getaway Packages

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times
There always "Lights on the Lake" just north of Syracuse at Onondaga Lake Park...

YouTube - Lights on the Lake-Syracuse NY

YouTube - Lights on the Lake (Video 1)

YouTube - Lights on the Lake (Video 2)

YouTube - Lights on the Lake (Video 3)

YouTube - Lights on the Lake (Video 4)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
All over NYC there are lights. NYC has to be the most amazing, magical city in the country, probably world, during the Holidays. You gotta go to Radio City and Rock. Center, Central Park and the Plaza, etc.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys! Even though all these suggestions are great, I really prefer when regular people/ homes go all out. Does anyone know of anything like that in your neighborhood? When I was a kid, there were these two houses (across the street from eachother) that used to compete against eachother every year (in Queens). That's more what I'm looking for. Although, I do like to check out the more professional displays as well

Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 21,861 times
Default christmas decoration

There is a house in Blooming Grove, in Orange County, It's on Helm Hill Road. Everyone in the town calls it "the christmas house". They go crazy decorating the outside of the house, but the real deal is the inside. They have an open house to everyone the two weeks before Christmas. They let people inside the house to tour it. Every room is decorated beautifully. Downstairs, they have 20 or so trees, each with a theme--just great. They dont charge anything, but accept donations for the local ambulance department. They raised money for a defibullator for the town.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 PM

127 posts, read 613,563 times
I'm really surprised there weren't more responses to this! If I had seen it, I would have suggested Howard Beach - Queens. There are always several really nice displays there. It's nice just to drive through although not all are spectacular. Also there is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that is well known, although I can't remember the name. Lots of traffic tie ups there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York