Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

That is for the other thread. This OP just stated that they had family in Middletown and wouldn't mind being within a reasonable distance from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM

41 posts, read 60,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
What do you consider upstate?

Reason why I'm asking is because people have a different perspective of what upstate is. Now if you're talking about Syracuse, NY then yes, you are correct, but Syracuse is not an 1 - 2 hours from NYC either.

And yes, the further north you go the cheaper it will be, but now your commute is well over the 3 hour mark. At that point working in NYC with a 3 hour commute is complete insanity.
If I live upstate....What is the job market like so I won't have to have a 3hr commute unless I want to visit family? What areas of upstate NY should I not live in?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJourney2014 View Post
If I live upstate....What is the job market like so I won't have to have a 3hr commute unless I want to visit family? What areas of upstate NY should I not live in?
Are you thinking that you would only be able to find work in NYC or are you strictly looking to live in or around Middletown? I posted some job listings from other parts of the state, if you are interested.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJourney2014 View Post
I'm not sure how the job market in upstate NY is. Can't be too bad. You would have to do some research on that.

I live about 30 Minutes north of NYC. However, if you decide to live on the East side of the Tappan Zee Bridge in Westchester it will be expensive. The further north you go (Putnam County) the longer your commute to NYC will be. As far as commuting from Middletown, I can't tell you how long the commute is.

I honestly think you need to do tons of homework before you make the move. NY has a lot to offer, but you will pay for it.

If you're looking into a career change at the same time you move to NY....then please do yourself a favor. Make sure you have all your bases covered. Have a back up plan. Don't come here without a job lined up 1st!

Also keep this in mind, Westchester, NY has the Nation's highest taxes.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how the job market in upstate NY is. Can't be too bad. You would have to do some research on that.

I live about 30 Minutes north of NYC. However, if you decide to live on the East side of the Tappan Zee Bridge in Westchester it will be expensive. The further north you go (Putnam County) the longer your commute to NYC will be. As far as commuting from Middletown, I can't tell you how long the commute is.

I honestly think you need to do tons of homework before you make the move. NY has a lot to offer, but you will pay for it.

If you're looking into a career change at the same time you move to NY....then please do yourself a favor. Make sure you have all your bases covered. Have a back up plan. Don't come here without a job lined up 1st!

Also keep this in mind, Westchester, NY has the Nation's highest taxes.
I don't think the OP made any mention of westchester county. I'm not trying top be a jerk, but for all we know, the OP may not be looking that far south and may stick with Middletown/Orange County.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think the OP made any mention of westchester county. I'm not trying top be a jerk, but for all we know, the OP may not be looking that far south and may stick with Middletown/Orange County.
This is all information the OP can use when making a decision. There's no such thing as too much info when someone is looking to make a move from one state to another.

Maybe I'm helping the OP here...maybe not. Whatever the case maybe, I will provide any info possible.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
This is all information the OP can use when making a decision. There's no such thing as too much info when someone is looking to make a move from one state to another.

Maybe I'm helping the OP here...maybe not. Whatever the case maybe, I will provide any info possible.
No problem. I just hope the OP realizes that looking further Upstate NY is probably going to the same or similar COL they are use to and that they aren't limited to NYC in terms of employment.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:

I am of the same opinion as you. Sometimes, its important to make suggestions outside the box, even if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

If someone is thinking they want to live in NY, but from my own experience, I don't think NY is a good fit, I'll usually recommend someplace else. Likewise, some people are looking for a place like NY but may not even know it. That's what these forums are for.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I am of the same opinion as you. Sometimes, its important to make suggestions outside the box, even if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

If someone is thinking they want to live in NY, but from my own experience, I don't think NY is a good fit, I'll usually recommend someplace else. Likewise, some people are looking for a place like NY but may not even know it. That's what these forums are for.
That's fine, but the thread didn't mention NYC or Westchester or any place within an hour or 2 of NYC. That was mentioned in another thread. So, I'm thinking that the poster is getting the two threads mixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York