Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 PM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I was born in NYC. How would I not know about subsidized housing in NYC?

Any lifelong New Yorker knows about this.
Well that explains it, I guess they teach it to you in elementary school along with how to apply for social assistance and when to call the cops on your parents..

I guess all the posters on the NYC board must have missed school that day...

Old 04-16-2015, 05:32 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I totally understand and agree with the last part of this.

I also wouldn't necessarily use Westchester County to equal NY as a whole, as it has probably one of the highest overall COL in the country and given the variation within the state in that regard. I'm only saying this for that read this thread, but may not know that about the state.
I agree. I live in one of the lowest cost areas of the state, where you can live quite well on a total family income of $60k and $150k will get you a nice suburban/rural house on acreage. For less than $200k, you can even get a house right on Chautauqua Lake in Celoron, Fluvanna, and parts of Lakewood.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Well that explains it, I guess they teach it to you in elementary school along with how to apply for social assistance and when to call the cops on your parents..

I guess all the posters on the NYC board must have missed school that day...
Not all those posters are from NYC. Some will even admit to being recent arrivals.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Subsidized housing is the only way to live in NYC without being rich? Come on now, that's just plain dumb to say.
Not even. Not counting Staten Island or other fringe areas. Counting Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, and Western Queens. An one bedroom in areas like the village can easily cost 4000 a month.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:03 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
work and not having to own a car. that's why.

i have zero loyalty to geography. i have no family here. but i have no job outside of the city, and i will have to own a car. i actually use ZERO amenities of the city. i never eat out. not even once a year (i carry all my food with me when i go out in my backpack, not kidding). i never go to a movie or a broadway show (i use the internet for 90% of my entertainment, the other 10% being going to the gym which can be done in any state). never partake in those nyc parades or use central park, etc. i do shop for clothing when needed (not seasonally) at a store like tjmaxx or marshalls but those types of stores are all over the country. it's not new york unique. that being said, again, i am only here because of money and no vehicle needed.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:04 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
I'm currently on a full Southern tour with some time off. GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, and MS are all the states I plan to visit. Plus Northern Florida if I have time. I'm in the ATL right now. Here's the deal, from my perspective:

I take back my statement that Atlanta is not a global city. It most definitely is. Atlanta is HUGE and urban. I haven't been here in quite some time, and it has seriously grown. There are basically 3 massive downtowns here- downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. I have no idea how Atlanta is smaller than Philadelphia, because I've lived in Phila and Atlanta seems 3x bigger. The high rise buildings go on forever here.

Atlanta is tons of families and young professionals. Nowhere is this more true than in Buckhead, but also midtown has a lot of families walking around. So, to the youngin who said the Southern cities are all "ghetto and old people", it only tells me that you've never been here. Especially since you would have a hard pressed time to find a "ghetto" person with a Northern accent!

Now the bad, and like anyplace there's bad too: Traffic is horrendous. I mean, just absolutely unmanageable. Aggressive driving is on par or worse than NJ. GA 400, 285, 85, in some places 8 lane highways that are gridlocked from 6 am to 10am and 3 pm to 7 pm, plus other times. I can only compare it to LA or DC, or the GWB / LIE.

I haven't been here long and already I was involved in a minor theft crime- in the northern suburbs no less, not the more notorious southern and western areas. Petty theft and small crime seem to be the norm here in certain areas, including the suburbs. Several parking lots I've been in, I have seen a lot of broken auto glass. There are security guards that walk the premises of the hotels I've been in, and some supermarkets, which I have not seen in the Northern states. And again, I am staying in upscale areas (Alpharetta, Sandy Springs, and Buckhead).

Weather has sucked so far- 6 days of straight rain. In the North, it rains plenty but never for 6 days straight. Rain here is like snow up North, it really slows people down. Sprawl obviously is bad, so between the huge shopping centers and commuters, Atlanta is busy, fast paced city. Its no joke, and definitely more of a global "world" city than even Philadelphia. I would put it close to, if not equal to, Chicago.

But, the trees are green, the people are nice, and the restaurant selection is unreal. BBQ, just incredible. Asian, Greek, Mexican, and even authentic Italian better than NYC (gasp- yep, that's right. There's a pizza place here that is straight out of Naples and tastes exactly like real Italian pizza, unbelievably good). I would get out to more places, but it can take 2 hours to go across town, so it really slows you down. Atlanta's great, its not for me, but I'm learning so much about what I like and don't like.

Next stop, Alabama!
Attached Thumbnails
If New York State is so bad, why do we live here?-atlanta041215.jpg   If New York State is so bad, why do we live here?-atlanta041315.jpg  

Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm currently on a full Southern tour with some time off. GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, and MS are all the states I plan to visit. Plus Northern Florida if I have time. I'm in the ATL right now.
Hope you have time to visit wonderful Charleston.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 AM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm currently on a full Southern tour with some time off. GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, and MS are all the states I plan to visit. Plus Northern Florida if I have time. I'm in the ATL right now. Here's the deal, from my perspective:
It's nice to read a view point base on current observations instead of the usual stereotypes, have a good trip.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 AM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
[quote=VintageSunlight;39277488]I'm currently on a full Southern tour with some time off. GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, and MS are all the states I plan to visit. Plus Northern Florida if I have time. I'm in the ATL right now. Here's the deal, from my perspective:

I take back my statement that Atlanta is not a global city. It most definitely is. Atlanta is HUGE and urban. I haven't been here in quite some time, and it has seriously grown. There are basically 3 massive downtowns here- downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. I have no idea how Atlanta is smaller than Philadelphia, because I've lived in Phila and Atlanta seems 3x bigger. The high rise buildings go on forever here.

Atlanta is tons of families and young professionals. Nowhere is this more true than in Buckhead, but also midtown has a lot of families walking around. So, to the youngin who said the Southern cities are all "ghetto and old people", it only tells me that you've never been here. Especially since you would have a hard pressed time to find a "ghetto" person with a Northern accent!

Now the bad, and like anyplace there's bad too: Traffic is horrendous. I mean, just absolutely unmanageable. Aggressive driving is on par or worse than NJ. GA 400, 285, 85, in some places 8 lane highways that are gridlocked from 6 am to 10am and 3 pm to 7 pm, plus other times. I can only compare it to LA or DC, or the GWB / LIE.

I haven't been here long and already I was involved in a minor theft crime- in the northern suburbs no less, not the more notorious southern and western areas. Petty theft and small crime seem to be the norm here in certain areas, including the suburbs. Several parking lots I've been in, I have seen a lot of broken auto glass. There are security guards that walk the premises of the hotels I've been in, and some supermarkets, which I have not seen in the Northern states. And again, I am staying in upscale areas (Alpharetta, Sandy Springs, and Buckhead).

Weather has sucked so far- 6 days of straight rain. In the North, it rains plenty but never for 6 days straight. Rain here is like snow up North, it really slows people down. Sprawl obviously is bad, so between the huge shopping centers and commuters, Atlanta is busy, fast paced city. Its no joke, and definitely more of a global "world" city than even Philadelphia. I would put it close to, if not equal to, Chicago.

But, the trees are green, the people are nice, and the restaurant selection is unreal. BBQ, just incredible. Asian, Greek, Mexican, and even authentic Italian better than NYC (gasp- yep, that's right. There's a pizza place here that is straight out of Naples and tastes exactly like real Italian pizza, unbelievably good).

This sounds about right and I'm actually surprised that people do not realize how diverse Atlanta is. I think new migrants and the Olympics have something to do with that.

I also think Atlanta's spread out nature makes it seem bigger than Philadelphia, but Philadelphia is more dense as a city. They both have roughly the same land size, but Philadelphia has a little over 3 times as many people within city limits. Philadelphia isn't that much bigger on the metro level though.

Where in Alabama are you go to? Mobile? Birmingham? Huntsville? College towns? What about Mississippi, as Jackson, the Gulf, the college towns and maybe the Memphis suburbs within the state would seem to have the most appeal to people from the Northeast or Midwest.

I will say that I encourage people to visit areas in the South that aren't as well known or popular. If you get a chance, take a trip to Holmes County when you get to MS, as an example.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-19-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 06:23 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It's nice to read a view point base on current observations instead of the usual stereotypes, have a good trip.
Thanks. That's part of the reason I wanted to drive South- to put to bed the misconceptions and conjecture that just didn;t make sense, at least for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York