Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 12:16 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's not the Christian "presence" in the South that I find off-putting, but rather how fundamentalist or evangelical Christian churches continually push their "Christian" dogma on everybody to the point where it seems inconceivable to members that anyone could disagree with them, and that anyone who does not agree is a "godless atheist".
I hear you - it is a bit much.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The true middle class in NYC often owns houses (teachers, cops, firemen, etc). Of course there are a lot of working people who don't make much money and have poor benefits. And yes they do get squeezed.

NY has plenty of companies relocating to NYC. All major banks worldwide of NYC offices. Google has an office in NYC. Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, and all the major tech companies. All the major media companies have NYC offices. Both public and private NY has a huge university system.

The jobs that left NY, like manufacturing also left the South and are done in Vietnam, China, Mexico, etc.

Huge parts of the South have wretchedly decayed after industries such as textiles and other types of manufacturing left. Even a number of customer service jobs were offshored to India.

I think a lot of people on this thread are stuck in the 80s. Much of the South these days has little to know growth. The biggest Southern economy and state by population in Texas. Florida is the second biggest population. Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, TN are not going to be top population states any time soon.

No Southern city competes with NYC in business. NYC's competitors are London, Hong Kong, and other major global centers of commerce. The South has nothing like that.
Note that I said NY, not NYC. I do agree that Silicon Alley attracts companies and people in NYC, unless you're actually in the city or within easy commuting distance it's tough to take advantage of those jobs.

To your point about people being stuck in the 80's, I think you're a bit stuck in the 90's. There are MANY companies relocating from NY's suburbs (i.e. Long Island, Westchester) to other states, including ones in the South due to operating costs. Many tech jobs no longer require a physical presence due to broadband, VoIP and video capabilities, so even when companies aren't relocating their staff often are. With just 5 seconds of thought I could name at least 10 people that I personally know, each making $200K+, who left Long Island for other states within the last 12 months. Most are still employed by the same company. All are no longer paying taxes to NY State.

Also note that in NYC police and teachers are "true" middle class. On Long Island it's not uncommon for police to make close to $200K a year, and teachers $120K+ (firefighters are volunteer). Not saying they're worth it or not, but if this represents middle class on LI then anyone making less must be also getting squeezed.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Note that I said NY, not NYC. I do agree that Silicon Alley attracts companies and people in NYC, unless you're actually in the city or within easy commuting distance it's tough to take advantage of those jobs.

To your point about people being stuck in the 80's, I think you're a bit stuck in the 90's. There are MANY companies relocating from NY's suburbs (i.e. Long Island, Westchester) to other states, including ones in the South due to operating costs. Many tech jobs no longer require a physical presence due to broadband, VoIP and video capabilities, so even when companies aren't relocating their staff often are. With just 5 seconds of thought I could name at least 10 people that I personally know, each making $200K+, who left Long Island for other states within the last 12 months. Most are still employed by the same company. All are no longer paying taxes to NY State.

Also note that in NYC police and teachers are "true" middle class. On Long Island it's not uncommon for police to make close to $200K a year, and teachers $120K+ (firefighters are volunteer). Not saying they're worth it or not, but if this represents middle class on LI then anyone making less must be also getting squeezed.
I remember in the early 90s when big banks in NYC moved customer service from places like Long Island to southern states who were happy to get those jobs. Unfortunately after the WTO agreements said companies in the 2000s often relocated these positions to INDIA! They do have broadband, VOIP, and video capabilities worldwide.

I see no evidence in the 2010s that Southern states have a net gain in jobs over NY, and definitely no Southern city has anything on a global city like NY.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:34 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Perhaps I missed a post but in the 20+ pages of this discussion has anyone stated that a southern city is a "global city like NYC"?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's not the Christian "presence" in the South that I find off-putting, but rather how fundamentalist or evangelical Christian churches continually push their "Christian" dogma on everybody to the point where it seems inconceivable to members that anyone could disagree with them, and that anyone who does not agree is a "godless atheist".
I've lived down here since last summer, and I've yet to have one person proselytize in any way, shape or form.
Not. once.
They're more likely to ask you what cocktail you'd like than they are to question your beliefs or your lifestyle.

And the only difference I've found down here, is the people who say they're Christians actually attend church more than twice a year.

The South is changing, before your eyes.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 04-09-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps I missed a post but in the 20+ pages of this discussion has anyone stated that a southern city is a "global city like NYC"?
It was important to mention since some posters claim that the South is paradise when it comes to jobs, but supposedly there's nothing left in NY. NYC is a significant part of NY and it effects the state budget in Albany, plus people from the metro NYC area (and other East Coast cities) have huge effects on upstate economies when they attend universities there.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
I remember in the early 90s when big banks in NYC moved customer service from places like Long Island to southern states who were happy to get those jobs. Unfortunately after the WTO agreements said companies in the 2000s often relocated these positions to INDIA! They do have broadband, VOIP, and video capabilities worldwide.

I see no evidence in the 2010s that Southern states have a net gain in jobs over NY, and definitely no Southern city has anything on a global city like NY.
Not true:

States with the Fastest Job Growth in 2014-Kiplinger

Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I've lived down here since last summer, and I've yet to have one person proselytize in any way, shape or form.
Not. once.
They're more likely to ask you what cocktail you'd like than they are to question your beliefs or your lifestyle.

And the only difference I've found down here, is the people who say they're Christians actually attend church more than twice a year.

The South is changing, before your eyes.
I think many people here get their Southern knowledge from watching My Cousin Vinny.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
It was important to mention since some posters claim that the South is paradise when it comes to jobs, but supposedly there's nothing left in NY. NYC is a significant part of NY and it effects the state budget in Albany, plus people from the metro NYC area (and other East Coast cities) have huge effects on upstate economies when they attend universities there.
Not one person on here said or even implied that the South was paradise. All I've heard was a few people who said that they're economically doing better themselves in the South, or maybe enjoy the weather and the people more. That's it. Why can't that just be so?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think many people here get their Southern knowledge from watching My Cousin Vinny.
Lol, I think you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York