Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
probably only the overly religious aspect of Southern culture is seriously off-putting to me.
If you're not overtly Christian I can see how this might be an issue, but you see a lot of the same with the Jewish presence in NYC - it's roughly 25% Jewish, yet you'd think that given the focus on the holidays, etc. it'd be larger in NYC and the surrounding counties. Yet from a US number it's only roughly 2%, about the same as the % of Mormons.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I live in NYC, and there are plenty of services available to the poor seniors here who don't relocate and who don't have enough money. There's a massive social service structure here.

Section 8 helps a number of old poor people with rent. Others live in senior housing or get various forms assistance from HRA. Others get discounted food at senior centers. Public transportation is half price for seniors here. There are a number of non profits that help poor seniors here with housing, rent, legal issues, etc. These services are not strictly limited to NYC, they are in Westchester, urban parts of Jersey, and LI.

There was public transportation and services for seniors through the finger lake college towns like Ithaca, Cortland, and Binghamton.

Seniors who chose to stay in these places will find ways of getting some kind of service.
Correct, but note that the costs of these services aren't free - they are borne by taxpayers, many of whom are tired of paying for them.

In comparison to the population growth of the US, NY is effectively losing people - recently moving to 4th from 3rd - and the people leaving are no longer just retirees but higher earners with the ability to work anywhere.

Wall St. financiers will remain in/close to NY as long as there is a financial industry. Low-income people will continue to flock to NY for its benefits. It's the middle that NY is losing, both due to companies relocating and people deciding they want to have a lower cost of living.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Correct, but note that the costs of these services aren't free - they are borne by taxpayers, many of whom are tired of paying for them.

In comparison to the population growth of the US, NY is effectively losing people - recently moving to 4th from 3rd - and the people leaving are no longer just retirees but higher earners with the ability to work anywhere.

Wall St. financiers will remain in/close to NY as long as there is a financial industry. Low-income people will continue to flock to NY for its benefits. It's the middle that NY is losing, both due to companies relocating and people deciding they want to have a lower cost of living.
It isn't that the population is declining in general, but the growth rate is just slower. FL taking 3rd comes largely from retirees and immigrants as well. Cost of living is an issue generally Downstate versus Upstate, but there does need to be more or accelerated job growth in Upstate. Some job growth has been occurring recently though. NYS Economy Adds 16,400 Private Sector Jobs in February 2015

Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
If you're not overtly Christian I can see how this might be an issue, but you see a lot of the same with the Jewish presence in NYC - it's roughly 25% Jewish, yet you'd think that given the focus on the holidays, etc. it'd be larger in NYC and the surrounding counties. Yet from a US number it's only roughly 2%, about the same as the % of Mormons.
I've never had any Jewish try to convert me to their religion. It's not near the same as fundamentalist in the South assuming everyone must be Christian or interested in what they have to say.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

The true middle class in NYC often owns houses (teachers, cops, firemen, etc). Of course there are a lot of working people who don't make much money and have poor benefits. And yes they do get squeezed.

NY has plenty of companies relocating to NYC. All major banks worldwide of NYC offices. Google has an office in NYC. Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, and all the major tech companies. All the major media companies have NYC offices. Both public and private NY has a huge university system.

The jobs that left NY, like manufacturing also left the South and are done in Vietnam, China, Mexico, etc.

Huge parts of the South have wretchedly decayed after industries such as textiles and other types of manufacturing left. Even a number of customer service jobs were offshored to India.

I think a lot of people on this thread are stuck in the 80s. Much of the South these days has little to know growth. The biggest Southern economy and state by population in Texas. Florida is the second biggest population. Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, TN are not going to be top population states any time soon.

No Southern city competes with NYC in business. NYC's competitors are London, Hong Kong, and other major global centers of commerce. The South has nothing like that.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not convinced. It's one thing to go to Florida or wherever in the South on vacation in the winter. It's another thing to actually be there for more than a few days. I do not like heat, do not like mosquitos, and don't like the extra bugs they have in the South.

It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. Some will like one thing, others will like something else.
Just some different bugs. North has black flies, deer flies, mosquitoes, ticks (with Lymes), cockroaches, etc. South has palmetto bugs, mosquitoes, ticks without Lymes (generally). Rural areas have bugs no matter what.

The buggiest place I've ever been was the Adirondacks. Equal to Maine with bugs and they all bite (black flies, horseflies, and deer flies bite hard). I spent a long time in NC and VA over the years, and I never thought the bugs were all that bad. Bugs suck no matter where you are. Since you are in NYC, its probably not that bad.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Just some different bugs. North has black flies, deer flies, mosquitoes, ticks (with Lymes), cockroaches, etc. South has palmetto bugs, mosquitoes, ticks without Lymes (generally). Rural areas have bugs no matter what.

The buggiest place I've ever been was the Adirondacks. Equal to Maine with bugs and they all bite (black flies, horseflies, and deer flies bite hard). I spent a long time in NC and VA over the years, and I never thought the bugs were all that bad. Bugs suck no matter where you are. Since you are in NYC, its probably not that bad.
Alligators, venomous spiders, venomous snakes...etc. The degree of deadly animals/insects in the south isn't even in the same ball park as those in the north. I've never once worried about a venomous spider or snake in NY. And even the ones that are venomous are so rare and mild compared to those in the South that it's again not even worth a comparison. NY bugs generally bite and leave a small annoying rash. Bugs in the south can kill you when they bite.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 AM

6 posts, read 13,239 times
Do not every palce feat everyone

Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
It's not the Christian "presence" in the South that I find off-putting, but rather how fundamentalist or evangelical Christian churches continually push their "Christian" dogma on everybody to the point where it seems inconceivable to members that anyone could disagree with them, and that anyone who does not agree is a "godless atheist".

Last edited by Linda_d; 04-09-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 11:38 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Alligators, venomous spiders, venomous snakes...etc. The degree of deadly animals/insects in the south isn't even in the same ball park as those in the north. I've never once worried about a venomous spider or snake in NY. And even the ones that are venomous are so rare and mild compared to those in the South that it's again not even worth a comparison. NY bugs generally bite and leave a small annoying rash. Bugs in the south can kill you when they bite.
I beg to differ. NY has 3 species of venomous snakes, and as a avid hiker in the Catskills, I can attest to their being plenty of timber rattlesnakes there (and bear too). There are equal numbers of alligators in Rochester as there are in the following metros: Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Richmond, Asheville, Greenville, Memphis, Knoxville, VA Beach, Chattanooga, Baltimore, Wash D.C., Louisville and Roanoke. That is exactly 0.

By far the most dangerous insect / animal in NY is the tick, of which there are plenty. And NY ticks carry Lymes, which I'm way, way more afraid of than a spider bite. NY reported 3,512 cases of Lymes in 2013, NC reported 39. As for now, Lymes isn't really a concern south of VA.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 04-09-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York