Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 PM

956 posts, read 1,208,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If liberals could separate their views on the rights of workers from their inclination to control all other aspects of life, maybe less public workers would flee the second they secure their pensions.

What you fail to accept is that at that point, politics no longer matter. Moving south upon retirement isn't done to take another public job. The goal at that point is to live comfortably and FREE with the pension one has already earned. It's the free market at the lowest level. The working class would be stupid not to take advantage.

When I hear people scream freedom at the top of their lungs like yourself it reminds me of a selfish person who only cares about themselves and think the world should resolve around them

Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Some of the people posting opinions on here need a few more decades of life experience under their belts to argue about a reality they've yet to live.
That seems to be your "go to" answer every time somebody disagrees with you. If they don't see things the same way as you, then "they haven't lived long enough to have an opinion".

Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
That seems to be your "go to" answer every time somebody disagrees with you. If they don't see things the same way as you, then "they haven't lived long enough to have an opinion".
Please give an example, if you would.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Please give an example, if you would.
What do you mean give you an example? You just wrote it in the post above mine.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
What do you mean give you an example? You just wrote it in the post above mine.
Okay and alrighty.
Who's on first?
Lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
When I hear people scream freedom at the top of their lungs like yourself it reminds me of a selfish person who only cares about themselves and think the world should resolve around them
And? Wanna hear my opinion of a liberal?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You sound like you absolutely despise the South

If you prefer living North that is nothing wrong with that but you are exaggerating as if the South is largely devoid of quality living.

Answer this:With all those negatives about the South and how lacking it is largely WHY then are not people more people from the West,Midwest and South not moving to the rural areas of NY?

I agree with and I'd say you really do get what you pay for that's why people are not moving back after they leave the these rural Northern areas once they head South and West.

It's very true that even smaller cities up north overall have more amenities and tend to be easier to get around in but typically speaking,most people who are moving from the outer regions of the Northeast are looking for a change in every way.
Sure they miss certain conveniences and products back home but many of them have created business of their own very much like the ones they left in some of the rural areas in the South.Again why are they not moving back in larger numbers?

Just as you would not move to a area in the NE you are not famiar with why would you move just anywhere in the South before doing some researck?You would not so your point is ridiculous.

Places like Rome Georgia in the Appalachians,have sizable northern transplant residents that are older.

"Poor Backs+ are poor.They cannot affird to leave the North where public assistance is much more available than in the South.

People of every color and age are moving because they simply do not get what they are paying for.
The West is VERY different from the South.

As for people leaving rural NY for other places, please show me statistics that most are moving to the South. If they had college degrees they could be moving to cities in the Northeast (from DC to Boston) or they could be moving to other places looking for work.

Also not every person from the rural North would like or likes the South.

I'm from NYC, not upstate however I did live upstate for awhile. I went to Cornell undergrad, lived in Ithaca for a year outside of that, and I lived in Cortland for a year. There were things I liked about upstate. But compared to NYC there simply weren't nearly as many job or career choices. So back to NYC I went. I had friends from upstate NY who got into various universities such as Cornell, Binghamton, Syracuse, and SUNY Cortland. Many of those who left again did so because of career opportunity (one is in Boston, one is a grad student in Michigan, and so on).

Of course poor Blacks can afford to leave the North. You never heard the song the midnight train to Georgia? How do you think they got to the North anyway? They were pretty poor then as well.

The major cities like NYC are massively expensive and many landlords these days do not take new tenants with welfare cases. Poor Blacks are being pushed out of Harlem, Bedstuy, parts of the Bronx, etc rather rapidly. Ditto for poor Hispanics. A lot of ghetto Puerto Ricans and Dominicans end up in FLORIDA. Atlanta, GA has had some really terrible neighborhoods made worse by an influx of Northern ghetto Blacks. The same can be said of poor blacks being gentrified out of Los Angeles.

Though I don't like the South, in many ways I feel sorry for them taking in all this garbage from the North!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
People move on their retirement to have a lifestyle that they want, if that means a newer/smaller house, warmer weather or just living in a community where they don't have to deal with the outside items that is their choice. Maybe being 75, starting to feel your age, tired of weather and having to haul groceries up 3 flights of stairs has lost it's appeal, or maybe their friends are starting to pass/move away.

Public transit can be very extensive in many areas and adult communities often provide it to area shopping venues for when you choose to stop driving. Medical care especially for seniors can be far more accessible in other locations and more extensive.

Your family regretted their decision, maybe they didn't research enough and pick an area that suited them I wouldn't know. This "being near family" line gets real old, I think more people don't see family on a regular basis than the "we hang every week mafia" that seem to be the standard that all family operate under. My father wouldn't move out of NY as long as his older sister was alive, he was the only relative; I respect that but after her passing I am sorry that I didn't force them to move. There quality of life was diminished and keeping a 50 year old tri-level did nothing to enhance it. Between taxes, snow, medical and no transportation none of it was worth it.

But as I said in the beginning it's each persons choice.
Over on the retirement forum, there are lots of threads discussing this issue. I think that NyWriterDude has some valid issues about northerners retiring in the South, the main one being that there is a lack of services that frail, aged seniors need in many of the communities where many northerners choose to retire. I have friends who retired to the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina. I have another friend who retired with her husband to a 55+ community near Fredericksburg, VA. Those will work as long as one of them can drive safely in heavy traffic, but when they can't negotiate the traffic or, heaven forbid, can not drive at all, they will have to move somewhere else.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM

149 posts, read 303,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Do what you have to do, however I would make sure that one or both of you could get jobs elsewhere before you move.

It's not fun moving to a place and finding out getting a job is going to be much harder than you thought, especially if a child is involved. Homelessness is not cool.
I've never moved anywhere without a job first. I'm not a reckless gypsy by any stretch of the imagination. LOL

Both my spouse and I have investigated jobs west of NYS - not huge metro areas, but places larger than Elmira - and found that we could make MORE in our fields and have a lower cost of living, plus more of the amenities we are looking for (more stable public schools, cultural diversity - again, as compared to where we currently are, we have no interest in places like Boston or NYC because we know we wouldn't be comfortable there).

Everyone has to find their niche. For some, that is upstate NY. For us, upstate has been a decent stop-over point, but it isn't working for us anymore. If/when we leave, I will miss parts of it -- but then, I miss things about all the places I've lived, and remember various places fondly for various reasons. Doesn't mean I'd go back to those places to stay, though.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Over on the retirement forum, there are lots of threads discussing this issue. I think that NyWriterDude has some valid issues about northerners retiring in the South, the main one being that there is a lack of services that frail, aged seniors need in many of the communities where many northerners choose to retire. I have friends who retired to the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina. I have another friend who retired with her husband to a 55+ community near Fredericksburg, VA. Those will work as long as one of them can drive safely in heavy traffic, but when they can't negotiate the traffic or, heaven forbid, can not drive at all, they will have to move somewhere else.
I think the level of services available in the NY Burbs is one of the great myths about life up there. NYWriter posts from the perspective of youth and living in NYC, eliminate that unique environment and what do you have. Where my parents lived busses were nothing special and like other areas you need to drive. The local hospital was appalling compared to any we have down here, people where my folk were travel to NYC, North Jersey and White Plains when they need procedures, what do you do when you can't drive anymore?

Finding the right fit for a retirement location varies with each persons needs, what I think you will find more of away from NY is more continuing care communities that allow you to go from independent to nursing home all in the same place as well as communities that provide transportation to it's residents for those that don't drive. Also where is it written that the first place you retire to will meets your needs for the rest of your life.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 03-31-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York