Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The West is VERY different from the South.

As for people leaving rural NY for other places, please show me statistics that most are moving to the South. If they had college degrees they could be moving to cities in the Northeast (from DC to Boston) or they could be moving to other places looking for work.

Also not every person from the rural North would like or likes the South.

I'm from NYC, not upstate however I did live upstate for awhile. I went to Cornell undergrad, lived in Ithaca for a year outside of that, and I lived in Cortland for a year. There were things I liked about upstate. But compared to NYC there simply weren't nearly as many job or career choices. So back to NYC I went. I had friends from upstate NY who got into various universities such as Cornell, Binghamton, Syracuse, and SUNY Cortland. Many of those who left again did so because of career opportunity (one is in Boston, one is a grad student in Michigan, and so on).

Of course poor Blacks can afford to leave the North. You never heard the song the midnight train to Georgia? How do you think they got to the North anyway? They were pretty poor then as well.

The major cities like NYC are massively expensive and many landlords these days do not take new tenants with welfare cases. Poor Blacks are being pushed out of Harlem, Bedstuy, parts of the Bronx, etc rather rapidly. Ditto for poor Hispanics. A lot of ghetto Puerto Ricans and Dominicans end up in FLORIDA. Atlanta, GA has had some really terrible neighborhoods made worse by an influx of Northern ghetto Blacks. The same can be said of poor blacks being gentrified out of Los Angeles.

Though I don't like the South, in many ways I feel sorry for them taking in all this garbage from the North!
Im very aware the South is not like the West.My statement was that those areas are where people are moving to from the North.
Its silly to suggest that poor people are the main people fleeing South.Especially to Atlanta.
Atlanta has gotten rid of ALL its public housing which has aided in decreasing the crime rate to 1960's levels.We still have poor neighborhoods but the city in every corner has gentrified or in early stages of gentrification.

All most all the Puerto Rican or Dominicans I know that have moved South don't even live in the city proper and EVERY single one I know or have met are doing well, as they will tell you mUCH better than they did when they lived North.
I used to invest and live in one of the poorest neighborhods in Atlanta near the Georgia Dome.
I was surprised to stop at this neighborhood store that looked like a"bodega" and to my surprise when I went in,the stire owner and his brother were Dominican from NY!

My point is poor blacks are not moving from outside the city of NYC to move 700 miles away.However more people who are solidly middle class and higher are because they can afford more to uproot their lies and families and move that far.

We have our own poor ghetto people.Ghetto people and poor people are not leaving states like NY where you have more access to benefits.
I love the South but if you are poor in the South,you are poorer than any were in America because the social safety net of services is paltry in comparison.
One example is a friend who left NYC to move to to Atlanta in the mid 90's and was here for ten years struggling die to bad choices.He finally moved back * years ago and within months he had subsidized housing where his rent is controlled in NYC.

Odlly enough you mentioned Ithica becaus one of my very good friends is from there.She moved here about 11 years ago and lives in Downtown Decatur in a very nice historic neighborhood next to Agnes Scott College(a very liberal womens college) where many movies have been filmed around because of similarities of some New England areas when stoylines needed to reflect that image.
Decatur also has the largest lesbian couple population in America,(No surprise there).

No every person is not going like the South.So they stay put or if they move they move back as well as some stick it out.
In most cases,the people from the North who have left left because of weather and cost,and usually thats enough for them to complain about how the South might be in some ways but they never move back in most cases.
Of course of weather is not the issue and you are wealthy,you are not more prone to move.This is true for evey region.

I mean im sure you seen all the articles regarding people leaving.Something is going on for them to leave.

Upstate NY is BEAUTIFUL.I could definitely see myself living up there but its too cold and the appeal is just not enough for me to think about it.

Here the 20 States That Had Net Domestic Inmigration:

1-Texas (154,467)

2-Florida (138,546)

3-Arizona (41,975)

4-Colorado (40,318)

5-South Carolina (38,614)

6-North Carolina (36,257)

7-Washington (28,063)

8-Tennessee (24,511)

9-Nevada (23,623)

10-Oregon (22,670)

11-Georgia (22,106)

12-North Dakota (8,974)

13-Idaho (7,694)

14-Delaware (4,790)

15-Montana (4,550)

16-Oklahoma (4,377)

17-Alabama (2,034)

18-New Hampshire (1,117)

19-South Dakota (562)

20-Maine (531)

E-Brief
About Us
Subscribe
Contact Us
Donate
RSS
Home » News
New York, Northeast Lead Nation In ‘Outmigration’
January 27, 2015 - 1:02 PM
By Terence P. Jeffrey
Subscribe to Terence P. Jeffrey RSS
Share on Facebook Share on TwitterMore Sharing Services

Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

(CNSNews.com) - New York State and the Northeast region led the nation in domestic net “outmigration” in the period from July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, according to newly released data from the Census Bureau. During the same period, Texas and the South led the nation in domestic net “inmigration.”

Domestic net outmigration is the number of residents who move out of a state or region to another part of the country minus the number of residents who move in from another part of the country. It does not include international migration—n.b. people who move into a state or region from outside the United States, or from a state or region to outside the United States.

A state or region has domestic net inmigration when the number of people moving in from another part of the country exceeds the number moving out.

From July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, 30 states had a domestic net outmigration and 20 states plus the District of Columbia had a domestic net inmigration.

New York State led in outmigration as a net of 153,921 people moved from the state to elsewhere in the country. Texas led in inmigration as a net of 154,467 moved into the state from elsehwere in the country.

Illinois had the second highest domestic outmigration, with a net of 94,956 leaving the state for other parts of the country and Florida had the second highest domestic inmigration with 138,546 moving to the state from other parts of the country.

The Northeast region (which includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania) saw a net domestic outmigration of 286,696 from July 1, 2013 to 2104.

The Midwest Region (which includes Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota) also had a net domestic outmigration. From July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014 it saw a net movement of 182,057 people leave for other parts of the country.

The West (which includes Arizona, Colorada, Idaho, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington) had a net domestic inmigration of 103,464. That number was held down by California which had the fourth highest net domestic outmigration (32,090) of all states. New Mexico (14,154), Alaska (10,137), Hawaii (5,141) and Utah (1,235) all joined California as western states with a net domestic outmigration.

The South (which includes Delaware, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virgina, West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas) had a net domestic inmigration of 365,289. The only two states in this region that had a net domestic outmigration were Arkansas (3,890) and West Virginia (2,749).

As the Census Bureau data shows, climate does not necessarily predict movements in the domestic population. Not all Sunbelt states had a net inflow of domestic migrants, and not all cold northeastern and Midwestern states had a net outflow. California and Hawaii had significant outflows of domestic migrants. North Dakota and Idaho had significant inflows.

The Census Bureau also calculated the rate of net domestic migration, which is the number of domestic migrants per 1,000 in average population for the year.

North Dakota had the highest rate of 12.3 followed by Nevada at 8.4 and South Carolina at 8.0. North Dakota also had the lowest unemloyment rate in the country.

Alaska had the lowest rate of domestic migration at -13.8, followed by New York with -7.8 and Illinois with -7.4.

It is also true that a state might not necessarily have negative total net migration just because it has a negative net domestic migration. International inmigration—people moving into the state from someplace outside U.S. borders—can compensate for people lost to domestic outmigration. For example, California’s net domestic outmigration of 32,090 was more than compensated for by its net international inmigration of 161,318. As a result, California had a net overall inmigration of 129,228.

Here the 20 States That Had Net Domestic Inmigration:

1-Texas (154,467)

2-Florida (138,546)

3-Arizona (41,975)

4-Colorado (40,318)

5-South Carolina (38,614)

6-North Carolina (36,257)

7-Washington (28,063)

8-Tennessee (24,511)

9-Nevada (23,623)

10-Oregon (22,670)

11-Georgia (22,106)

12-North Dakota (8,974)

13-Idaho (7,694)

14-Delaware (4,790)

15-Montana (4,550)

16-Oklahoma (4,377)

17-Alabama (2,034)

18-New Hampshire (1,117)

19-South Dakota (562)

20-Maine (531)

(The District of Columbia also had a net inmigration of 1,173.)

Here to the 30 States That Had Net Domestic Outmigration:

1-New York (-153,921)

2-Illinois (-94,956)

3-New Jersey (-55,469)

4-California (-32,090)

5-Pennsylvania (-31,448)

6-Michigan (-28,679)

7-Connecticut (-26,216)

8-Virginia (-20,400)

9-Ohio (-18,243)

10-Massachusetts (-16,354)

11-Maryland (-15,295)

12-New Mexico (--14,154)

13-Kansas (--13,804)

14-Alaska (-10,137)

15-Wisconsin (-9,931)

16-Mississippi (-9,382)

17-Missouri (-8,074)

18-Indiana (-7,849)

19-Minnesota (-6,696)

20-Louisiana (-6,085)

21-Hawaii (-5,141)

22-Arkansas (-3,890)

23-Kentucky (-3,785)

24-Rhode Island (-3,387)

25-West Virginia (-2,749)

26-Wyoming (-2,672)

27-Nebraska (-2,551)

28-Vermont (-1,549)

29-Utah (-1,235)

30-Iowa (-810)

Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im very aware the South is not like the West.My statement was that those areas are where people are moving to from the North.
Its silly to suggest that poor people are the main people fleeing South.Especially to Atlanta.
Atlanta has gotten rid of ALL its public housing which has aided in decreasing the crime rate to 1960's levels.We still have poor neighborhoods but the city in every corner has gentrified or in early stages of gentrification.

All most all the Puerto Rican or Dominicans I know that have moved South don't even live in the city proper and EVERY single one I know or have met are doing well, as they will tell you mUCH better than they did when they lived North.
I used to invest and live in one of the poorest neighborhods in Atlanta near the Georgia Dome.
I was surprised to stop at this neighborhood store that looked like a"bodega" and to my surprise when I went in,the stire owner and his brother were Dominican from NY!

My point is poor blacks are not moving from outside the city of NYC to move 700 miles away.However more people who are solidly middle class and higher are because they can afford more to uproot their lies and families and move that far.

30-Iowa (-810)
The Puerto Ricans and Dominicans who left NYC left so because they could not afford to live in a nice part of NYC. So they are going to say their qualify of life left, duh, because they lived in ****ty parts of town like the Bronx!

You say they tend to be on the outskirts of the city. Not surprising, somehow I can't imagine them being able to afford lofts in downtown Atlanta or being in any part of Atlanta convenient to anything.

DUH!

As neighborhoods like Bushwick become extremely expensive, a lot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans get pushed out of the area if not the city.

The White and Asian populations (more professional and educated ) are increasing in NYC, and the Black and Hispanic populations are decreasing (NYC's economy has undergone certain structural changes).

And yes despite the fact that you ignore it, poor Blacks leave NYC all the time. They certainly cannot afford Harlem which is getting an influx of educated professionals, many of whom are white and asian. Ditto Bedstuy, Ft. Greene, Crown Heights, and Flatbush (all of these were black neighborhoods).

NYC's population isn't decreasing, though the Black population is for the reasons I have just described.

A studio in Manhattan South of 96th street can cost up to 3k. What do you think happened to poor Blacks and Hispanics in neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen and the Lower East Side? They've largely been forced out and the remaining ones are being pushed out. It takes a fantastic amount of money to live in Manhattan, which it worth it to high income earners in the corporate sectors (Wall Street, banking, media, film,tv, pharmaceuticals, tech, the medical industry) and certain government and academic sectors.

Clearly if you can't get a career that's going to pay well into the six digits, on a long term basis Manhattan and areas near Manhattan are not for you. So those people get priced out.

So when Blacks do move to the South, it's because they had no choice. For most Blacks born in NYC, the South isn't associated with being dull, boring, not really a place you want to be. Only when you can't pay the rent or buy in NYC, that's when people are forced to reconsider living here. Ditto for Hispanics.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think the level of services available in the NY Burbs is one of the great myths about life up there. NYWriter posts from the perspective of youth and living in NYC, eliminate that unique environment and what do you have. Where my parents lived busses were nothing special and like other areas you need to drive. The local hospital was appalling compared to any we have down here, people where my folk were travel to NYC, North Jersey and White Plains when they need procedures, what do you do when you can't drive anymore?

Finding the right fit for a retirement location varies with each persons needs, what I think you will find more of away from NY is more continuing care communities that allow you to go from independent to nursing home all in the same place as well as communities that provide transportation to it's residents for those that don't drive. Also where is it written that the first place you retire to will meets your needs for the rest of your life.
At least in the smaller cities in the finger lakes region, I saw plenty of old people (and students and working people) on various buses in Ithaca, NY, Cortland, and Syracuse. There was also a decent presence of taxis. So between buses and taxis elderly people and others who couldn't or didn't want to drive where easily able to get around.

This may not be true of every community in NYS, but there are certainly communities in upstate NY outside the finger lakes (Albany, Rochestor, and Buffalo) that again have decent bus service, again have decent taxi services so it would be easier to get around without a car.

Another thing I like about upstate NY is NY subsidized intracity bus service. So if one had to go to in between upstate cities (at least the ones with colleges) one could take Greyhound, Trailways, or Shortline.

Many small towns in the South no longer have Greyhound service. On transportation services alone, much of the South simply SUCK! You may more taxes in NYS, but you get what you pay for. So have fun living in cheap, crappy dumps in the mosquito infested South. LOL

And you will have to go long distances to go to doctors. If you move to the nicest cities in the South that will be expensive. Northerners looking for low cost can't do the nicest parts of the South.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
At least in the smaller cities in the finger lakes region, I saw plenty of old people (and students and working people) on various buses in Ithaca, NY, Cortland, and Syracuse. There was also a decent presence of taxis. So between buses and taxis elderly people and others who couldn't or didn't want to drive where easily able to get around.

This may not be true of every community in NYS, but there are certainly communities in upstate NY outside the finger lakes (Albany, Rochestor, and Buffalo) that again have decent bus service, again have decent taxi services so it would be easier to get around without a car.

Another thing I like about upstate NY is NY subsidized intracity bus service. So if one had to go to in between upstate cities (at least the ones with colleges) one could take Greyhound, Trailways, or Shortline.

Many small towns in the South no longer have Greyhound service. On transportation services alone, much of the South simply SUCK! You may more taxes in NYS, but you get what you pay for. So have fun living in cheap, crappy dumps in the mosquito infested South. LOL

And you will have to go long distances to go to doctors. If you move to the nicest cities in the South that will be expensive. Northerners looking for low cost can't do the nicest parts of the South.
You speak in such absolutes and yet you have no experience in life, family or aging. No one said people don't choose to age out where they live but for every college town you listed such as Ithaca or Syracuse with buses and amenities there is a hundred communities without any of those features.

For a senior on a modest budget a taxi is not usually an option and asking ones acquaintances every week gets old real fast. Basing transportation quality on what meets a college students needs is not a proper measure for what a retiree may need.

Rural areas in many states SUCK!, no one state has a corner on it. Taxes in NY at all levels starting with the extra .35 cents per gallon for gas, $4.35 a pack of smokes, a sales tax rate up to %8.875 along with everything else can become cost prohibitive for many.

Your last paragraph is a joke, quality medical care exists in most localities, In the Richmond area I am in there are 3 hospital within 10 minutes and 5 more within 20-30 minutes and their quality far exceeds the 2 county hospitals where my folks used to live. Rural medical may require some travel but that is anywhere in the country.

People need to pick what works best for them but I guess according to you it's better to freeze through the winter up north because of all the free social perks you can apply for, great retirement plan...

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
I can speak for the Rochester area and Monroe and more rural Ontario County and the transportation options for senior citizens at a very affordable rate is excellent. There is even door to door service. Not to mention the great healthcare you get in the Rochester area.

http://www.co.ontario.ny.us/DocumentCenter/View/3348

Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
The Puerto Ricans and Dominicans who left NYC left so because they could not afford to live in a nice part of NYC. So they are going to say their qualify of life left, duh, because they lived in ****ty parts of town like the Bronx!

You say they tend to be on the outskirts of the city. Not surprising, somehow I can't imagine them being able to afford lofts in downtown Atlanta or being in any part of Atlanta convenient to anything.

DUH!

As neighborhoods like Bushwick become extremely expensive, a lot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans get pushed out of the area if not the city.

The White and Asian populations (more professional and educated ) are increasing in NYC, and the Black and Hispanic populations are decreasing (NYC's economy has undergone certain structural changes).

And yes despite the fact that you ignore it, poor Blacks leave NYC all the time. They certainly cannot afford Harlem which is getting an influx of educated professionals, many of whom are white and asian. Ditto Bedstuy, Ft. Greene, Crown Heights, and Flatbush (all of these were black neighborhoods).

NYC's population isn't decreasing, though the Black population is for the reasons I have just described.

A studio in Manhattan South of 96th street can cost up to 3k. What do you think happened to poor Blacks and Hispanics in neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen and the Lower East Side? They've largely been forced out and the remaining ones are being pushed out. It takes a fantastic amount of money to live in Manhattan, which it worth it to high income earners in the corporate sectors (Wall Street, banking, media, film,tv, pharmaceuticals, tech, the medical industry) and certain government and academic sectors.

Clearly if you can't get a career that's going to pay well into the six digits, on a long term basis Manhattan and areas near Manhattan are not for you. So those people get priced out.

So when Blacks do move to the South, it's because they had no choice. For most Blacks born in NYC, the South isn't associated with being dull, boring, not really a place you want to be. Only when you can't pay the rent or buy in NYC, that's when people are forced to reconsider living here. Ditto for Hispanics.
You say DUH but you are the one that said the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans from the ghetto moving into bad parts og the city of Atlanta.That is why I said what I said to correct that false notion.

Further more they were not living in the Bronx when they left.They were living in other parts of the city and the suburbs which are still WAY more expensive than in the South.

Ignore what?Sorry but Im African American from a two parent home of a retired dean of a university and a teacher so I don't hang around hood or ghetto people nor do I like pretentious snobby types that make sure they name drop their Ivy League education as if its a badge the rest of the populous should bow down and praise with flower petals thrown,

You have NO idea what the demographics are of blacks moving South mainly are,You are totally passing on your own evidently ignorant opinions wih NO THREAD OF TRUTH!

Also as am African American I can honestly say that I understand "the black migration" South better than you( even if you are African American also),as my extended family from Philly to NYC who moved from the North in the first migration did well up North enough that some of them have moved to retire and their kids now all grown adults and married themselves have also headed South and started their young familes all across the South.

They are not "poor" but middle class.Why you keep acting like it makes sense poor people can pack up and move 700 miles is just asinine.

Quote:
Some of the return migrants, like the Coxes, are retirees, while others are college-educated young people, driven by economic realities, historical curiosity, and the old-fashioned American drive to explore new frontiers and create new worlds. But there is a universal thread that runs through their narratives – the pull of a cultural homeland.
Why African-Americans are moving back to the South - CSMonitor.com
Quote:
When Mark Wells moved to the Dallas area last year, he had plenty of company -- and not just because his three sisters had settled there ahead of him. The Kansas native had lived for nearly 20 years in Southern California, building up his career in technology. But the state’s long run of double-digit unemployment finally convinced him to listen to his sisters and move to Texas.
Quote:
The story is not just political. Part of the power of African-Americans in the Dallas area comes not from their rising numbers but their growing prosperity. The Dallas black middle class has entered its virtuous cycle phase. Success is breeding more success, with newcomers not only emulating well established residents but also using them as a base for networking.

For African-Americans in Dallas, more of those professional networks are spreading out into the suburbs. “The fact that we’ve got majority-minority suburbs now has been sort of phenomenal,” says Rick Loessberg, Dallas County’s planning and development director. “It’s happened without the horror stories you heard 20 years ago in other places, where there’s been animosity and distrust. It’s the American dream as you would envision it to be.”
The New Black South
Didn't you mention how Asians and whites are not leaving?

Quote:
Despite a rise in employment, nearly half of New York City's population is living near poverty levels -- a problem that is particularly striking in the city's Asian population, which has surpassed Hispanics as the city's poorest group, according to a new report conducted by the Center for Economic Opportunity.

The study revealed 45.6 percent of New Yorkers are barely making ends meet, even with more adults working full-time since the recession. A combination of low wages, rising rents, and a lack of benefits is largely to blame
The New Black South

Atlanta has the second fastest and largest growing black millionaire population

Old 04-01-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You speak in such absolutes and yet you have no experience in life, family or aging. No one said people don't choose to age out where they live but for every college town you listed such as Ithaca or Syracuse with buses and amenities there is a hundred communities without any of those features.

For a senior on a modest budget a taxi is not usually an option and asking ones acquaintances every week gets old real fast. Basing transportation quality on what meets a college students needs is not a proper measure for what a retiree may need.

Rural areas in many states SUCK!, no one state has a corner on it. Taxes in NY at all levels starting with the extra .35 cents per gallon for gas, $4.35 a pack of smokes, a sales tax rate up to %8.875 along with everything else can become cost prohibitive for many.

Your last paragraph is a joke, quality medical care exists in most localities, In the Richmond area I am in there are 3 hospital within 10 minutes and 5 more within 20-30 minutes and their quality far exceeds the 2 county hospitals where my folks used to live. Rural medical may require some travel but that is anywhere in the country.

People need to pick what works best for them but I guess according to you it's better to freeze through the winter up north because of all the free social perks you can apply for, great retirement plan...
So because I disagree with you I have no life experience.

And as for the taxi, again the true issue of money comes up. These poor people are dreaming of a place where they can easily get buy on NO MONEY. No such place exists.

If you can't afford a taxi to take you to essential appointments in upstate NY, how are you going to afford transportation in the South? You do realize getting around is not for free there either and you'd end up having to pay someone to take you places if you can't drive?

A person who lives rural upstate NY and moves to a Southern city will not save money, particularly if they want to move to a nice area. Not happening. Some poor old person with only a social security check from a small town in NYC is not moving to Atlanta or Miami to buy a nice house.

At best they could just move to a crappy rural Southern area. Well they won't have to deal with the cold. But that's about it!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You say DUH but you are the one that said the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans from the ghetto moving into bad parts og the city of Atlanta.That is why I said what I said to correct that false notion.

Further more they were not living in the Bronx when they left.They were living in other parts of the city and the suburbs which are still WAY more expensive than in the South.

Ignore what?Sorry but Im African American from a two parent home of a retired dean of a university and a teacher so I don't hang around hood or ghetto people nor do I like pretentious snobby types that make sure they name drop their Ivy League education as if its a badge the rest of the populous should bow down and praise with flower petals thrown,

You have NO idea what the demographics are of blacks moving South mainly are,You are totally passing on your own evidently ignorant opinions wih NO THREAD OF TRUTH!

Also as am African American I can honestly say that I understand "the black migration" South better than you( even if you are African American also),as my extended family from Philly to NYC who moved from the North in the first migration did well up North enough that some of them have moved to retire and their kids now all grown adults and married themselves have also headed South and started their young familes all across the South.

They are not "poor" but middle class.Why you keep acting like it makes sense poor people can pack up and move 700 miles is just asinine.

Why African-Americans are moving back to the South - CSMonitor.com

R

The New Black South
Didn't you mention how Asians and whites are not leaving?

The New Black South

Atlanta has the second fastest and largest growing black millionaire population
Really successful Blacks don't have to live in the South. Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Eric Holder, Halle Berry, among many others don't have to deal with the South (or for that matter other Blacks) because they have sufficient money to live wherever they want to.

As for those Blacks leaving big cities for the South? They do so because they cannot truly AFFORD these cities.

I thank god for my Ivy League education. I can live where I want and I don't have to have anything to do with the South or other African Americans if I don't want to. I'm a firm believe in individualism, not in group think. So let all those who get priced out of NYC go to the South for all I care, I will stay in NYC. If I leave NYC it will be for LA or London or Hong Kong. Major international cities, not third rate Southern dumps!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 04-01-2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Really successful Blacks don't have to live in the South. Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Eric Holder, Halle Berry, among many others don't have to deal with the South (or for that matter other Blacks) because they have sufficient money to live wherever they want to.

As for those Blacks leaving big cities for the South? They do so because they cannot truly AFFORD these cities.

I thank god for my Ivy League education. I can live where I want and I don't have to have anything to do with the South or other African Americans if I don't want to. I'm a firm believe in individualism, not in group think. So let all those who get priced out of NYC go to the South for all I care, I will stay in NYC. If I leave NYC it will be for LA or London or Hong Kong. Major international cities, not third rate Southern dumps!
LOL!Wow.The lessons of irony.How in the world does one like you get all indignant about how you believe in individualism but yet in the SAME message go into an incensed rant about how you dont have to deal with the South?Whatever that means.Last time I checked it was the United States of America.
oh but I dont have an Ivy League education so what do I know?

Actually I do know quite a bit as I have posted plenty of facts ,links to articles aetc..but you have just given your opinions in which a few have been factually debunked,
I guess it would make me irritated like you also if I basically made up stuff to fit my shallow [rovincial miondset then have it turned back on me usingmy own words too.

Your arguments are childish and loaded with shallow,egotistical and frankly just plain ignorant and peppered with arrogance and I saw right through it in your first post.

Tell me what race or ethnicity leave their homes in most cases if they can afford to stay put.?This is true EVERYWHERE not just the North.What rich folks that made there money in the South are moving North unless they have more than home in different regione?

Oprah was born in MS and went school in TN but made her money in Chicago,The other blacks you mention were successful stayed mostlywhere they grew up in the region like Eric Holder from the Bronk and went to school just a few blocks South at Columbia.
He only first moved to D.C.because of an appoint as a judge.

As for the South,Tyler Peryy,Usher,Sheila Johnson,Percy Miller,,Herman J, RussellDr,Dre are the richest black Americans and ALL of them live where they are from except Tyler Perry who is from New Orleans but calls Atlanta home.

Also how do you explain Atlanta having the fastest growing and second largest black millionaire population?

What about people like professional atheletes?Where are they choosing to live?
13 Cities And Small Towns With The Highest Percentage Of Professional Athletes Per Total Population | Cities Journal

Atlanta a favored spot for athletes to call home | www.ajc.com

Some dump and third rate city for the people to "choose" to live here.

Oh and you can go on all you want about individualism which you have displayed by your remarks is you actually just sounding like another "groupie "who claims to be different because I guess you are African American and CHOOSE to live where there are less African Americans and more whites in an effort to appear "open minded"
Funny how I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in the house I grew in with two white Germans ,a Brazilian. and we get along great and the majority black professionals and the several Asian and Hispanic families are extremely friendly and accepting.
So whether you live in a diverse area,mostly white or mostly black people will acceot you whether its in Te South or North so jst stop it with "individualism" crap.People like to be more near things and people thaye have in common.
BYE FELICIA!(Too "ghetto" for you?)

Last edited by afonega1; 04-01-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
So because I disagree with you I have no life experience.

And as for the taxi, again the true issue of money comes up. These poor people are dreaming of a place where they can easily get buy on NO MONEY. No such place exists.

If you can't afford a taxi to take you to essential appointments in upstate NY, how are you going to afford transportation in the South? You do realize getting around is not for free there either and you'd end up having to pay someone to take you places if you can't drive?

A person who lives rural upstate NY and moves to a Southern city will not save money, particularly if they want to move to a nice area. Not happening. Some poor old person with only a social security check from a small town in NYC is not moving to Atlanta or Miami to buy a nice house.

At best they could just move to a crappy rural Southern area. Well they won't have to deal with the cold. But that's about it!
Do you even know what you are arguing?You are so full of contradictions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York