Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
It's also worth noting that NC was hit especially hard by the recession and the loss of low-skill jobs in the traditional sectors of textiles and furniture. Charlotte and Raleigh get a lot of attention from North easterners, but I'm not sure a lot of people realize that a large portion of NC is pretty poor.

NC is getting strained, partially (IMO) because the state and counties simply weren't collecting enough revenue. Growth was not made to pay for itself, (IMO) because of the fear the developers and builders would take their plans somewhere else -- without impact fees -- for example.
I think this is true of large parts of most SE states. Their rural areas tended to be poorer than New York's, and they haven't significantly improved because of the decline of local manufacturing and farming, which is just like what happened in NY's rural areas or the Midwest's. People who vacation in the touristy areas or retire to the bigger metros don't realize that all that "prosperity" that they see doesn't extend evenly across any state. Western NC is pretty poor country as is upcountry SC, southwestern Georgia, most of Mississippi and East Tennessee. There are pockets of prosperity like Asheville or Knoxville but they're exceptions, and that's no different than in New York or New Mexico or anywhere else that has lots of rural area.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Oh, come on. I can assure you that many of us who've moved to the south's metro areas are fully aware of what lies outside of them. We're not all living down here in some sort of isolated la-la land. And despite all the evils of the more rural south you might (in some cases rightfully) have in your mind, there are many cultural things that are worth embracing and appreciating.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Here in NJ, you can easily pay $1000 a month in property tax. That's just serious money to me. But, to be fair, I am finding that jobs here pay easily $12k more a year. So, all factors must be considered.
It's not 1:1 though. To pay $12,000 more in increased COL you really need to make closer to $20,000 more in income.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Oh, come on. I can assure you that many of us who've moved to the south's metro areas are fully aware of what lies outside of them. We're not all living down here in some sort of isolated la-la land. And despite all the evils of the more rural south you might (in some cases rightfully) have in your mind, there are many cultural things that are worth embracing and appreciating.
Plus with the money saved it'll easily pay for a couple of trips per year to NYC for other culture. How many non-commuting people on Long Island or in Westchester actually travel to NYC more than a few times per year anyway?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Its called city snobbery.I live in Atlanta and every since I moved from downtown to the suburbs ny friends act somewhat different but i giess I have changed a liittle too.

I grew up in suburbs all my life but then I bought my first place and I moved in the heart of the city and have never looked back,

Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM

671 posts, read 891,102 times
In NYC unless your well off living in NYC LI tax area one is forced to relocate because of the cost of living...
I left 9 years ago when my property and school taxes went over $15,000 a year...That's a lot of scratch to cover when your retired...I believe the majority don't move to Florida to live,,it's more an affordable place to die.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think this is true of large parts of most SE states. Their rural areas tended to be poorer than New York's, and they haven't significantly improved because of the decline of local manufacturing and farming, which is just like what happened in NY's rural areas or the Midwest's. People who vacation in the touristy areas or retire to the bigger metros don't realize that all that "prosperity" that they see doesn't extend evenly across any state. Western NC is pretty poor country as is upcountry SC, southwestern Georgia, most of Mississippi and East Tennessee. There are pockets of prosperity like Asheville or Knoxville but they're exceptions, and that's no different than in New York or New Mexico or anywhere else that has lots of rural area.
I posted before and I'll post it again:

Rural NY > Rural South
Citified South > Citified NY

NYC is the exception for many, but I don't like NYC so its not an exception to me. Also said, I still even like the citified areas of Upstate NY. I actually like Rochester and Syracuse quite a bit. But I like Raleigh, Nashville, Charleston and Austin quite a bit more. Straight up, they are better cities right now.

Quote:
This is 100% true. I love the Raleigh metro but I'm quite aware, and have posted many times, that the surrounding areas are not that great, and in some ways, downright scary.

At a Slaughterhouse, Some Things Never Die

Other rural Southern areas have great charm. Like Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, wow what weird and uniquely Southern areas!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
I'm not knocking the South, and in fact, I like a lot of the Southern culture - probably only the overly religious aspect of Southern culture is seriously off-putting to me. I'm just saying that the "transplant culture" that seems to have grown up in many of the areas popular with retirees and other migrants seems to foster the belief among their residents (almost none of whom seem to be locals at all) that the South is the Land of Milk and Honey where there are so many jobs and the taxes are so low that anybody would be a fool to stay in NY. It seems like they traded their "normal" existence in the North for this fantasy existence where everybody is either upper middle class or a well off retiree like they are or is invisible. Maybe this is most noticeable in the relatively new areas that were built since about 2000 but I noticed it in both Virginia and especially in the Carolinas.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Plus with the money saved it'll easily pay for a couple of trips per year to NYC for other culture. How many non-commuting people on Long Island or in Westchester actually travel to NYC more than a few times per year anyway?
When living in OCofNY, most people there who went into the city were commuting to/from work, and that was the extent of it. It wasn't exactly a hugely cultural group of people, in general. They weren't in line for the latest exibit at the Met, or anything.

And I heard more much openly racist remarks when there than I have since moving here.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 04-07-2015 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I'm not knocking the South, and in fact, I like a lot of the Southern culture - probably only the overly religious aspect of Southern culture is seriously off-putting to me. I'm just saying that the "transplant culture" that seems to have grown up in many of the areas popular with retirees and other migrants seems to foster the belief among their residents (almost none of whom seem to be locals at all) that the South is the Land of Milk and Honey where there are so many jobs and the taxes are so low that anybody would be a fool to stay in NY. It seems like they traded their "normal" existence in the North for this fantasy existence where everybody is either upper middle class or a well off retiree like they are or is invisible. Maybe this is most noticeable in the relatively new areas that were built since about 2000 but I noticed it in both Virginia and especially in the Carolinas.
You're right about some of those transplants down here.
We like to hang with the locals, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York