Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
exactly, and this is why i think it will become so densely populated. it is a small county to begin with, and 1/3 is reserved for parks. that means right now there are over 300,000 people packed into a small space. and this number continues to grow. Eventually Rockland will need to put in more high rise buildings if it wants to hold it's population without moving into the park land..
If you want Rockland and density right now, villages like Nyack, Suffern, Spring Valley, the Haverstraws, etc. are the way to go. So, there are some options in that regard, currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 AM

277 posts, read 773,599 times
I've lived in Rockland my entire life. Like anywhere else, it has its good parts and bad parts. But I can honestly say that today in 2014, I would never recommend to anyone moving here. There are so many things wrong. Ridiculous property (school) taxes are forcing people out. If I were able to sell my house, I would be out of here too. Beyond the taxes, there's horrible financial problems at the county level, political corruption at all local levels, abuse of social services and zoning laws by certain communities.

Hate to sound so negatative because there are many things I like about Rockland, but things are really not heading in a positive direction and I think it will only get worse.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
I like Rockland! I moved here about 3 yrs ago and enjoy it. It should eventually join Orange County to lower costs. School taxes are ridiculous but I think if we incorporate more consolidation, more tech ,etc.....it could lower costs in certain school districts. I think these small hamlet, villages, etc need to disappear and consolidate to lower their costs.

The news about East Ramapo SD confirmed what I already knew. Funds are being diverted in purpose to private schools! It took yrs to get the federal gov't to step in.

The problem is that you have the same old ppl being elected who have no new ideas.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:37 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I like Rockland! I moved here about 3 yrs ago and enjoy it. It should eventually join Orange County to lower costs. School taxes are ridiculous but I think if we incorporate more consolidation, more tech ,etc.....it could lower costs in certain school districts. I think these small hamlet, villages, etc need to disappear and consolidate to lower their costs.

The news about East Ramapo SD confirmed what I already knew. Funds are being diverted in purpose to private schools! It took yrs to get the federal gov't to step in.

The problem is that you have the same old ppl being elected who have no new ideas.
You'll never see Rockland and Orange consolidate. First of all, outside of a border and issues with Hasidim, Orange County has little in common with Rockland, culturally or politically. Within OC there is more of a shared identity with Ulster and Sullivan, and Rockland isn't even on OC's radar screen. Truthfully (right or not), the general attitude in Orange is, "Ewww, Rockland County".
More important, Orange County doesn't have the wherewithal or will to address its own dire need for intra-county consolidation; duplication of services is afterall the county's greatest *job creator*. It would take the threat of bankruptcy or an act of God to change this.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
The thought that Orange and Rockland would merge is pretty far fetched, Rockland was split off of Orange Cty because the county seat was too far away and difficult to access . consolidations comes up on many boards as a way to curb costs but finding 2 comparable localities willing to tie the know is next to impossible. Taxes are ridicules and 60 year old starter homes are going for 300k and up in New City so who wants to be first to lower their price for the common good??

Old 12-15-2014, 11:17 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
I consider Long Island the cesspool of this state, the poster child for urban sprawl. Watch American Beauty with Kevin spacey and you'll see what I mean. That being said, Rockland was once a beautiful place, I lived there as a very young kid in the mid 70s. My parents however hated it so we moved back to NYC. Rockland county's future is very bleak. Budget cuts, state takeover of the incompetent and corrupt East Ramapo Central School District, as well as corruption among the ever increasing & ever strengthening Hasidic population spells doom for the county. One if the allies of the bloodsuckers is Chris St. Lawrence, town supervisor of the Town of Ramapo. Sad...

Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
A lot of these comments about Rockland are actually very generic and the same thing can be said about most of NY State or the Northeast in general. Heavy school taxes, local corruption, bad economy, etc. are happening over much of the Northeast, not just in Rockland.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A lot of these comments about Rockland are actually very generic and the same thing can be said about most of NY State or the Northeast in general. Heavy school taxes, local corruption, bad economy, etc. are happening over much of the Northeast, not just in Rockland.
You could probably say throughout much of the country, not just the Northeast.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
What do new yorkers think of rockland county? I've heard that long islanders and west chester talk trash about rockland, saying it's 'upstate' and 'in the middle of nowhere' lol. so what do you think of rockland county, and do you think it has big potential to grow?
My friend from Harlem is looking for apartments now and is ready to leave NYC. So he saw one in Rockland and was like, "Why do they say this is NY? This is Jersey!" And I had to explain that not everything west of the Hudson was Jersey. lol.

For me personally, I couldn't cross over that bridge everyday. No way.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
My friend from Harlem is looking for apartments now and is ready to leave NYC. So he saw one in Rockland and was like, "Why do they say this is NY? This is Jersey!" And I had to explain that not everything west of the Hudson was Jersey. lol.
If you don't understand the basic geography within a 30 mile radius of your home, you should not be allowed to move.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York