Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 PM

50 posts, read 89,062 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm a location scout working on a film and am looking throughout the NY area for a nice old suburban house that may be a type of "holdout," as developers/chains came into the neighborhood. The house should be nice, but not too nice. But the main thing is that it should be right next to a chain or chain stores like CVS, Starbucks, etc. I don't mean around the corner, I mean right next to an older suburban house. Have you seen this in your neighborhood or throughout your travels? Might you have any suggestions on where I might be able to find this? Anything I can checkout with Google streetview would be really appreciated! It can be anywhere within 30 or so miles of NYC, so Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, etc...wherever is fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 PM

I forgot to mention, it's important that the home has a front and back yard (with grass) and that there is a street in front that is either a two way street or a large enough one way street that we could make to appear to be two way. also, it should be within 25-30 miles of Manhattan. thanks for any help!

Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,556,018 times
Put this address in Google Maps... 1856 Dutch Broadway Elmont, New York. Nice suburban home on 2-way street adjacent to CVS. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a "holdout."

If that doesn't work, google street view your way east down Dutch Broadway or try N Central Avenue in Valley Stream. There are a lot of homes in that area adjacent to strip malls... the problem is finding one next to a chain store.

You could always take a location like 1698 N Central Ave, North Valley Stream and dress up the store next to it to look like a chain store/Starbucks.

There is also Hempstead Turnpike across from Belmont Racetrack and through Franklins Square. Plenty of "chain" places next to modest suburban homes... however the homes are usually on the side street rather than the main thoroughfare. Of course, with the right camera angle, you could make it look however you want. Worth a look on goole maps to see if it fits your description.

There's also 3066 Hempstead Turnpike, Levittown, New York. The "home" on the north side of the street is a real estate office (I believe) but it looks like a holdout home in the middle of s shopping district. Throw a sign up on the feel market building next door and it should work.

(addresses listed are what is shown on google maps - they may not be the actual address of the location I am referencing in the photo).

You best bet would be to take a day and drive Long Island. Cruise Sunrise Highway (27), Merrick Road (27A) and Hempstead Turnpike (24). Northern Blvd (25a). From the Nassau/Queens line to about 5 minutes over the Suffolk Line... you will likely find a few locations that will work.

I am sure there are possibilities north, west and south of the city... I just don't know those areas as well. Up until a few years ago, I knew of a three or four places that would bet perfect (IMO) but those are all gone now.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,845,802 times
I'm also making a short film. It's a period piece so I'm looking for general stores. There are a few left in NJ, but none of them fit what I'm looking for (they're old shells but have new modern signs, lighting, etc). Are there any old general stores left in NYS?

To be real specific, if they had old apothecary glassware on wooden shelves, that would really be what I'm envisioning. Thanks

Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,956,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm also making a short film. It's a period piece so I'm looking for general stores. There are a few left in NJ, but none of them fit what I'm looking for (they're old shells but have new modern signs, lighting, etc). Are there any old general stores left in NYS?

To be real specific, if they had old apothecary glassware on wooden shelves, that would really be what I'm envisioning. Thanks
You might find somewhere in NY, but your chances would be better in New England.
The Best Country Stores in New England | VisitingNewEngland.com

But this is probably your best bet:
Brewster Store (MA): Hours, Address, Top-Rated Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM

94,391 posts, read 125,347,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Old Forge Hardware...

Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Put this address in Google Maps... 1856 Dutch Broadway Elmont, New York. Nice suburban home on 2-way street adjacent to CVS. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a "holdout."

If that doesn't work, google street view your way east down Dutch Broadway or try N Central Avenue in Valley Stream. There are a lot of homes in that area adjacent to strip malls... the problem is finding one next to a chain store.

You could always take a location like 1698 N Central Ave, North Valley Stream and dress up the store next to it to look like a chain store/Starbucks.

There is also Hempstead Turnpike across from Belmont Racetrack and through Franklins Square. Plenty of "chain" places next to modest suburban homes... however the homes are usually on the side street rather than the main thoroughfare. Of course, with the right camera angle, you could make it look however you want. Worth a look on goole maps to see if it fits your description.

There's also 3066 Hempstead Turnpike, Levittown, New York. The "home" on the north side of the street is a real estate office (I believe) but it looks like a holdout home in the middle of s shopping district. Throw a sign up on the feel market building next door and it should work.

(addresses listed are what is shown on google maps - they may not be the actual address of the location I am referencing in the photo).

You best bet would be to take a day and drive Long Island. Cruise Sunrise Highway (27), Merrick Road (27A) and Hempstead Turnpike (24). Northern Blvd (25a). From the Nassau/Queens line to about 5 minutes over the Suffolk Line... you will likely find a few locations that will work.

I am sure there are possibilities north, west and south of the city... I just don't know those areas as well. Up until a few years ago, I knew of a three or four places that would bet perfect (IMO) but those are all gone now.
THank you Joe! I'll check these out. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York