Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,836,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think so, but I was thinking about the Catskills and Adirondacks in terms of mountains, as well as similarly sized cities near either set/range.
Ahh, I see. I was trying to figure out if it was rural PA or urban PA that they hated living in. That could decide where to go. Like, if its a city like Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, I probably wouldn't recommend Binghamton or Utica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:41 PM

93,945 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Ahh, I see. I was trying to figure out if it was rural PA or urban PA that they hated living in. That could decide where to go. Like, if its a city like Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, I probably wouldn't recommend Binghamton or Utica.
Right and I agree that the type of environment that they are coming from could play a part in terms of a new city/community.

I also wonder if a small town or even suburb of an area like Utica or Binghamton is a possibility. For instance, places in those areas and close or closer to the mountains like say Boonville or Windsor may be worth a look.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,836,500 times
Quote:
Right and I agree that the type of environment that they are coming from could play a part in terms of a new city/community.

I also wonder if a small town or even suburb of an area like Utica or Binghamton is a possibility. For instance, places in those areas and close or closer to the mountains like say Boonville or Windsor may be worth a look.
I'm not a huge fan of Binghamton or Utica personally, but I think Oneonta and Plattsburgh are pretty decent areas. Its not about me though. I'll 100% agree on Glens Falls / Queensbury too. Its hard to go wrong in that area no matter what you're looking for (rural or suburban).

Old 07-25-2015, 08:57 PM

I think given the OP's love for Sullivan County PA, the only county in NY that seems to be similar is Hamilton County. In terms of proximity to jobs, the southern portion of that county would be the best bet. Perhaps Wells, Benson or Hope are would be worth a look. Those towns would still be within a reasonable proximity to jobs in the Capital Region.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
What part of PA do you live in?
Unfortunately, we live in Chester, PA. 2ND worst town in America per capita.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:

I would really like to live in a small town but I could definitely work with a suburb area if it came down to it. We want to move in about 6 months so we're really trying to figure out our "Forever home".

Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyBranca View Post
I would really like to live in a small town but I could definitely work with a suburb area if it came down to it. We want to move in about 6 months so we're really trying to figure out our "Forever home".
Given what you mentioned in this and the original post, you may be interested in small towns/cities like these listed as well: Welcome to Homer Village
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...6cc4e0!6m1!1e1

City of Norwich New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5312...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Greene NY Chamber of Commerce
Greene, New York: City and Village Government
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...89dbef!6m1!1e1

Old 08-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Than you so much! This is really helping with all of my research! ��By any chance, do you know of any places in Pennsylvania at all that would meet my wants?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyBranca View Post
Than you so much! This is really helping with all of my research! ��By any chance, do you know of any places in Pennsylvania at all that would meet my wants?
I'm not sure, but perhaps you could look into places like Berwick, Lewisburg, Sayre, Athens, Towanda, Jim Thorpe, Mansfield and Wellsboro are worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York