Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 02:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Food stamp recipients in New York State should not be able to use their benefits for high-end or non-essential food items, according to a new bill from a Senator Patty Ritchie of St. Lawrence County, New York.

Food Stamps Should Not Be Used to Buy Steak or Lobster, NY Senator Says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,704 times
I don't understand the logic. If they wanted to "help people make wiser choices".. then curve the current pricing ratio of non-healthy to health foods where it actually makes sense. Provide decent lunch options in primary and secondary schools- like other countries- so children who don't have the exposure at home can experience a positive outlook from the start. To me this is just another smear campaign against those struggling. I mean while we're talking ridiculousness.. how about the "high end" restaurants that charge several hundred dollars for an oreo size "gourmet dish". This little Italian brunette calls bull.. charging rent and still starving after leaving should be a crime. Ha :P

Old 02-25-2016, 01:08 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Lobster used to be so poorly looked upon, that they had to feed it to prisoners. Nobody else wanted it. Now it's being banned for being too luxurious.

Might as well just get rid of everything else and feed them with a grey slurry of nutrients. And go light with the nutrients, the premium stuff should be reserved for hard-working people.

What is the logic behind a decision like this? If you are able to buy lobster and steak, you are not poor enough to need assistance for food?

So much ****ting on the little person. Yer our government wastes trillions on bull**** of precious 1.5cents if that, taken from everyone on snap. Just ridiculous. Too big to fail? OK with me! Just let me decide what poor people get to do!!! But congressmen need their private golf courses. That's for sure.

So damned misguided. Health is a concern? Bull**** Coca-Cola owns our school lunch programs, and gets write offs for doing so. So transparent. No one gives a **** about the health of snap recipients, or their speculative future diabetes when it's legal to label pizza a vegetable. Such bull****.

Steak is healthy and often times inexpensive, and I'm going to go out of a limb and say there is such a small amount of people using food stamps to buy lobster that it isn't even worth wasting time to pass legislation to ban it.

The inclusion of Lobster at all makes me think this is more a publicity stunt to get conservatives riled up "They're using mah tax dollars on lobster!" Even though that doesn't happen.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalesoftheLibrarian View Post
I don't understand the logic. If they wanted to "help people make wiser choices".. then curve the current pricing ratio of non-healthy to health foods where it actually makes sense. Provide decent lunch options in primary and secondary schools- like other countries- so children who don't have the exposure at home can experience a positive outlook from the start. To me this is just another smear campaign against those struggling. I mean while we're talking ridiculousness.. how about the "high end" restaurants that charge several hundred dollars for an oreo size "gourmet dish". This little Italian brunette calls bull.. charging rent and still starving after leaving should be a crime. Ha :P
Totally agree. Another day, another right-wing Republican demonizing the poor in order to score points with the asshat voters in his district come November.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalesoftheLibrarian View Post
how about the "high end" restaurants that charge several hundred dollars for an oreo size "gourmet dish".
Free market and as far as I know I'm not helping contribute to that restaurant through my taxes. People feel differently about social services because we all contribute.

From studies I've read this really is a non-issue, as it's not like SNAP is exceedingly generous. While there may be some abuses, and I agree in concept that steak and lobster shouldn't be on the SNAP menu, it's not like every recipient is lining up and buying them. Most people are just concerned about getting milk, bread and food for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York