Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I didn't know that Brett Kern was a Soccer player in HS. Interesting, but it makes sense when you think about it.
Yeah, I think (but don't know for sure) that he was lured to football after his freshman year. He probably got similar treatment to a guy I played soccer with for four years at Canisius High in Buffalo...freshman year, first few games (as people still barely know each other), this guy sure made himself known--he probably scored 7 goals in the first 3 games. But the bigger factor for the ensuing story than actual production was that he had a really strong leg. So the next game, the dean of students/football coach shows up, suspiciously (what's he doing at a freshman soccer game--random postgame drug test going to be administered?). Afterwards, the dean tried to convince my teammate to join the football team (as kicker or punter), but the guy didn't really give it much thought, deciding to stay loyal to his soccer roots. I imagine Brett was either recruited in that fashion or (perhaps more likely) by peers who played football and told him they needed a punter....

I also have a friend who played soccer as a kid, transitioned to football and kicked in high school, got a D-1 offer to kick for Louisville but turned it down to attend none other than SUNY-Cortland. Former Bills kicker Steve Christie had a soccer background, and I'd imagine many current NFL kickers/punters do as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Definitely some good NHLers from upstate as the list clearly shows, Kane, Brown, Howard, Gionta and Callahan. Didn't realize Jon and Chandler Jones were both from Rochester, that's pretty cool. Some pretty good athletes out of Rochester.
there were a couple others out of Buffalo who come to mind...Todd Marchant, Brooks Orpik...more who are escaping me at the moment

edit: (Marchant's probably been retired longer than I realized--he's 43 now. He did play 17 NHL seasons though)

Orpik's still in the league at age almost-36...sporting the A for the Capitals. Born in SF but grew up in WNY. I don't follow the NHL like I did when I was a kid so I require wikipedia assistance here

ckh mentioned Erik Cole; he's 37 at this point. So even if he hangs them up at this point, he had a solid NHL career. He was a first-line player for the Hurricanes when they beat the Sabres in the conference finals back in 05-06

Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, I think (but don't know for sure) that he was lured to football after his freshman year. He probably got similar treatment to a guy I played soccer with for four years at Canisius High in Buffalo...freshman year, first few games (as people still barely know each other), this guy sure made himself known--he probably scored 7 goals in the first 3 games. But the bigger factor for the ensuing story than actual production was that he had a really strong leg. So the next game, the dean of students/football coach shows up, suspiciously (what's he doing at a freshman soccer game--random postgame drug test going to be administered?). Afterwards, the dean tried to convince my teammate to join the football team (as kicker or punter), but the guy didn't really give it much thought, deciding to stay loyal to his soccer roots. I imagine Brett was either recruited in that fashion or (perhaps more likely) by peers who played football and told him they needed a punter....

I also have a friend who played soccer as a kid, transitioned to football and kicked in high school, got a D-1 offer to kick for Louisville but turned it down to attend none other than SUNY-Cortland. Former Bills kicker Steve Christie had a soccer background, and I'd imagine many current NFL kickers/punters do as well

I believe it, as Canisius is known for its Football program and it has stepped it up in recent years.

I'm actually surprised that your friend turned down a scholarship to Louisville for SUNY-Cortland. Did he explain why?

Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 PM

All I know is that he was tired of kicking at the time...and he's an eccentric dude who wouldn't be afraid to make an unconventional choice. As am I, hence our friendship

When I attended Canisius, from 1999-2003, their/our football team was actually quite atrocious, the butt of jokes. Nowadays, from the outside looking in, it seems like they've gone almost Cathedral Prep (sorry, had to go outside the bounds of NY state with that reference)...they're recruiting kids to play football, which I can attest is something they did not do 15 years ago

Old 09-13-2016, 01:44 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
All I know is that he was tired of kicking at the time...and he's an eccentric dude who wouldn't be afraid to make an unconventional choice. As am I, hence our friendship

When I attended Canisius, from 1999-2003, their/our football team was actually quite atrocious, the butt of jokes. Nowadays, from the outside looking in, it seems like they've gone almost Cathedral Prep (sorry, had to go outside the bounds of NY state with that reference)...they're recruiting kids to play football, which I can attest is something they did not do 15 years ago
I get the Cathedral Prep reference, as the Erie PA Catholic HS is one of the top Football/athletic programs in the state of PA. It isn't uncommon for them to get kids from Chautauqua County, as at one time about 20 years ago its top Basketball player was actually from Jamestown.

What supposedly changed at Canisius is that they got a new head coach from the Pittsburgh area and he has brought in a new approach to the program from what I hear. That newer facility in West Seneca doesn't hurt either. For instance, they had a RB a couple of years ago that is at Pitt now, who is from Niagara Falls. So, they seem to be going all other metro for players.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-13-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I get the Cathedral Prep reference, as the Erie PA Catholic HS is one of the top Football/athletic programs in the state of PA. It isn't uncommon for them to get kids from Chautauqua County, as at one time about 20 years ago its top Basketball player was actually from Jamestown.

What supposedly changed at Canisius is that they got a new head coach from the Pittsburgh area and he has brought in a new approach to the program from what I hear. That newer facility in West Seneca doesn't hurt either. For instance, they had a RB a couple of years ago that is at Pitt now, who is from Niagara Falls. So, they seem to be going all other metro for players.
You know your stuff, sir.

I live little more than a five minutes' drive from that new field you referenced. It was formerly the strawberry patch that my family would hit annually when I was a kid, so I'm a bit upset with the alma mater regarding their choice of location.

Funny that this conversation should've unfolded over the past 12 hours, as this morning I found myself sitting at the same poker table as a member of my graduating class whom I hadn't seen since graduation...way too much CHS nostalgia for me right now

Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Quote:

Would've never known Fredette was from upstate NY. One (by 'one' I mean 'I') just sort of assumed homegrown Utahan there
If you lived in the eastern part of Upstate NY you would know Jimmer Fredette was from the area because the local news sportscasters talk endlessly about him. His official name in these parts is "Section II all-time scoring leader Jimmer Fredette"...usually followed by did not play tonight, coaches decision. Or Section II all-time scoring leader Jimmer Fredette got in to the game tonight and scored 3 points in 4 minutes of playing time . . .maybe some day he'll get a chance to play on a team that will use his skills (?)properly.

I 100% guarantee the local news will still show highlights of Fredette playing in China. I'm from NYC and old enough to have seen players with NBA talent and I get it that being a 1st round draft pick coming from Upstate was an accomplishment but it's time to move on. But they won't.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
If you lived in the eastern part of Upstate NY you would know Jimmer Fredette was from the area because the local news sportscasters talk endlessly about him. His official name in these parts is "Section II all-time scoring leader Jimmer Fredette"...usually followed by did not play tonight, coaches decision. Or Section II all-time scoring leader Jimmer Fredette got in to the game tonight and scored 3 points in 4 minutes of playing time . . .maybe some day he'll get a chance to play on a team that will use his skills (?)properly.

I 100% guarantee the local news will still show highlights of Fredette playing in China. I'm from NYC and old enough to have seen players with NBA talent and I get it that being a 1st round draft pick coming from Upstate was an accomplishment but it's time to move on. But they won't.
Funny stuff. Don't you doubt Jimmer...he's going to go unseat Stephon Marbury as the king of Chinese basketball, you just watch. There'll be statues of him in Beijing at this time next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York