Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,402 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I'm a native upstate New Yorker, currently living in the south. My family and I are considering a move back north, and I have been searching for - well, maybe a town that doesn't exist. I want a small town where people know one another (like you know the local hardware store owner, flower shop etc). neighborhoods that are fairly close knit etc.. Jobs aren't an issue, as I can work from home, and we may want to start a business. I remember loving Geneva when I drove through there on several occasions (probably 20 years ago), and stumbled on the town again in our search for places to move. It looks like Geneva went through a slump, and has several initiatives to get back on track. We are really impressed with what we are seeing in the neighborhood improvements and downtown areas... and the lake- it all seems so ideal! However, the schools.. ugh, we are worried about those ratings and it really deflated our excitement about the area. I have an 11 year old and his education is extremely important to us. NY has always had top notch schools, and one of the reasons I wanted to move back home! I did see a link that someone posted where Hobart and the town are working on improvements to the school system- but can anyone give us specifics on what the school system is like- where are the deficits? are there bullying or drug issues? I'm afraid improvements may not be realized until my son is out of school. Any candid insight you can give is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 PM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Actually, Geneva's schools have been improving and I wouldn't just go by ratings, as it is just for test scores in relation to the state. I believe that there are private options until 8th grade(it had DeSales High School until a few years ago). I believe that the graduation rate for the high school is above the state and at national all time high percentage. It is a very racially/culturally diverse city and school district for its size as well. Hopefully someone can give more information. This should help: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040585

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040589

If you are open to similar communities, Canandaigua is similar, except it isn't as culturally diverse(if that matters). In fact, it is also in Ontario County like Geneva.

Just to throw a community out there that I feel gets forgotten about due to the metro area it is in, but has very good schools, a nice walkable village and plenty of shopping is New Hartford. It is just south of Utica and it is a straight shot down Genesee Street from St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute/Museum and the Stanley Theater. It isn't too far from the Utica Zoo, Utica College, St. Luke's-Faxton Hospital and Val Bialas Ski Area(one of only 2 ski areas within a city's limits in the country, if I'm not mistaken). Going the other way, it isn't too far from the quaint village of Clinton. It also has the Utica National Insurance HQ's. So, that may be another place to look into.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-21-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM

Just curious, but do you have a budget in terms of housing? I'm only asking, because it could help in terms of offering suggestions.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,529 times
We just moved to Geneva this spring and so far I've been very pleasantly surprised. The community is tight in that there are lots of neighborhood events and the city puts on a lot of great programs. I enjoy making all the "small town connections." Downtown has really been improving - still some empty storefronts but there have been quite a few new shops and restaurants that have opened up. Linden Street is adorable. There are live concerts on the lake, drum circles, holiday events, carnivals, ice skating, farmers market, festivals and of course the lake! I love the lake.
Our kids are very young still (infant and toddlers) and not quite school age yet but I've been talking to a lot of people I meet and they say the public schools get a bad rap but are really not that bad. There are some kids who are rough around the edges but a lot of this area is living in poverty, sadly.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,529 times
We just moved to Geneva this spring and so far I've been very pleasantly surprised. The community is tight in that there are lots of neighborhood events and the city puts on a lot of great programs. Downtown has really been improving, and of course the lake! I love the lake. Our kids are very young still (infant and toddlers) and not quite school age yet but I've been talking to a lot of people I meet and they say the public schools get a bad rap but are really not that bad at all. There are some kids who are rough around the edges but a lot of this area is living in poverty, sadly.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakesMama View Post
We just moved to Geneva this spring and so far I've been very pleasantly surprised. The community is tight in that there are lots of neighborhood events and the city puts on a lot of great programs. I enjoy making all the "small town connections." Downtown has really been improving - still some empty storefronts but there have been quite a few new shops and restaurants that have opened up. Linden Street is adorable. There are live concerts on the lake, drum circles, holiday events, carnivals, ice skating, farmers market, festivals and of course the lake! I love the lake.
Our kids are very young still (infant and toddlers) and not quite school age yet but I've been talking to a lot of people I meet and they say the public schools get a bad rap but are really not that bad. There are some kids who are rough around the edges but a lot of this area is living in poverty, sadly.
There is this East(more diverse population, working class/poorer)/West(more middle class, not as diverse, Hobart/William Smith influence) thing going on there. With that said, it does seem like there has been improvements in the schools. I don't know if I would call it a dangerous city either.

Is there an area of the city near the campus that may have more of a prevalence of off campus college students? I ask, because that may help contribute to the poverty rate, the way it does for college towns/neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York