Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,124 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Been so busy, this is the first moment I've had to get involved here again, and I hope everyone's well and happily snowed in.

We've wrangled a two-week vacation for this coming summer. First part will be near Cooperstown. We've been there often, but never stayed there for more than a day or so.

So: any suggestions on what to do/see, aside from the wonderful and obvious of the Hall of Fame, swimming, lots of eating and strolling around?

We'll have our two young sons (4 and 2, by then) with us, so some kid-targeted things to do/places to visit would be especially appreciated.

We're particularly interested in checking out the cozy/stately/interesting towns and villages around Cooperstown. Assuming that Cooperstown might be too expensive a place in which to buy the kind of home we want (OLD, big, not so modernized it's lost its character, etc.), what nearby places would you suggest as suitable for raising a young family?

Also, does anyone have any sense of any teaching jobs within, say, a 30 minute drive from Cooperstown?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,840 times
Default Hi Homeward!!!!

It's so great to see you on here again! Did you get my PM? I sent it awhile back hoping you'd re-appear on here one of these days. That's good news about your summer vacation. Why did you decide to go to the Cooperstown area? Because it is more centrally located for travelling elsewhere, or have you narrowed your relocation search to this area? I know of one town that is not very far away, yet has much lower home prices, and has some lovely old homes. It's Cobleskill in Oneonta county. It's a little depressed, but not too bad, as many people are looking for more affordable areas near S.S. and Cooperstown, and ending up there. It is an old farming community, and has some of the best soil in NY state, if you're interested in doing any tilling of the soil. As with other towns and villages in rural NY, make sure you thoroughly check out things like any plans for wind turbines, or large farming operations (CAFOs) that really can make life for unsuspecting residents a living hell. Check out the various threads on here already started about them.

good luck in making your vacation plans, and I am glad you have returned to this forum. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Happy holidays to you and your family!
L4H

Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Farmers Museum has kid-based things /it is part of the NYS Historical Society -- look them up

Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
Hey if your staying in area support the local B&B's - and see the real country...Take a ride to Andes or Bovina, New Kingston...

http://www.bnblodgings.com/

Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
We were there a few years back, really not a ton of stuff for kids, other than parks and such - BUT - we loved HOWES caverns - check it out!!! Its a little bit away from cooperstown, however we enjoyed it very much!!!!
colleen

Old 12-24-2007, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,094 times
Go to the Fenimore Art Museum, the kids will like it, they have alot of Indian artifacts

Old 06-29-2022, 11:29 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This would be a good fit for this segment…

Gas-Friendly Getaways: A trip to Cooperstown: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...to-cooperstown

Old 06-30-2022, 03:47 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,788 times
Animal Adventure Park. Around an hour from Coop.
I think it’s Harpursvile.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Howe's Caverns.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:07 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Here are a couple of good area specific guides: https://www.thisiscooperstown.com/

The travel site for Cooperstown, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York