Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 4,573 times

Advertisements

I've posted 3 petitions, all for the same thing but on different petition websites. I need to get a certain amount of signatures before the petitions can be visible to the general public (until then, these petitions can only be signed when I send people links to them).

Thank you for any help!

These are the 3 links to my petitions:

1. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ate-government

2. https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/258/443/055/

3. http://chng.it/TBvfjZQh

Petition:

January 6, 2020 New York State passed a law that made it illegal for employers to mandate job seekers disclose salary history.

The New York State Working Class with work history prior to January 6, 2020 seek salary reparations from New York State Government for compensatory damage caused by its complicity with and failure to intervene in an unbalanced New York State labor market favoring employers.

Employer mandate that salary history be disclosed destroyed job seekers' bargaining power in the salary negotiation process. Salary history disclosure has given employers an unfair advantage over applicants and has resulted in an unfair labor market. Instead of an employer determining a candidate’s worth based on career history and qualifications, employers have been basing salary offers on the candidate's salary history. A job seeker’s previous wage has been used as a starting point, and then marked up to the bare minimum of whatever monetary amount an employer determines will sway the job seeker to sign on. This has allowed wealth to be funneled to the executive level of companies while laborers receive a wage lower than what they would be compensated in a fair market.

By permitting employers to mandate a job applicant disclose salary history prior to January 6, 2020, New York State Government has cheated every job seeking New Yorker from being valued fairly in the labor market. The damage has been cumulative and we demand salary reparations for our time working for any employer that mandated salary history disclosure in the application process prior to January 6, 2020.

(end)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 11:14 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeka17 View Post
I've posted 3 petitions, all for the same thing but on different petition websites. I need to get a certain amount of signatures before the petitions can be visible to the general public (until then, these petitions can only be signed when I send people links to them).

Thank you for any help!

These are the 3 links to my petitions:

1. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ate-government

2. https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/258/443/055/

3. http://chng.it/TBvfjZQh

Petition:

January 6, 2020 New York State passed a law that made it illegal for employers to mandate job seekers disclose salary history.

The New York State Working Class with work history prior to January 6, 2020 seek salary reparations from New York State Government for compensatory damage caused by its complicity with and failure to intervene in an unbalanced New York State labor market favoring employers.

Employer mandate that salary history be disclosed destroyed job seekers' bargaining power in the salary negotiation process. Salary history disclosure has given employers an unfair advantage over applicants and has resulted in an unfair labor market. Instead of an employer determining a candidate’s worth based on career history and qualifications, employers have been basing salary offers on the candidate's salary history. A job seeker’s previous wage has been used as a starting point, and then marked up to the bare minimum of whatever monetary amount an employer determines will sway the job seeker to sign on. This has allowed wealth to be funneled to the executive level of companies while laborers receive a wage lower than what they would be compensated in a fair market.

By permitting employers to mandate a job applicant disclose salary history prior to January 6, 2020, New York State Government has cheated every job seeking New Yorker from being valued fairly in the labor market. The damage has been cumulative and we demand salary reparations for our time working for any employer that mandated salary history disclosure in the application process prior to January 6, 2020.

(end)
Personally, I've never found this to be an issue. In fact with your salary history you can bolster your negotiating position. Your work history and accomplishments should also speak for themselves. Of course I say this assuming you are an outstanding candidate for the job. If not, get better, and salary follows. Don't paint all business owners with one bad brush. Most understand and reward employees well, as they don't want to lose them.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:30 PM

What an ignorant, condescending response. Maybe YOU never found this to be an issue, but obviously others have or there wouldn't be a law banning the practice.

If sharing your salary history gets your rocks off, that's great, no one is stopping you. But it never should have been mandatory for applicants that do not share your sentiment.

Business owners are not the target of my petition. Employers were legally entitled to mandate an applicant share that information and had no reason not to take this advantage (they'd be foolish not to). My issue is with New York State Government not intervening before 1/6/2020. I do realize salary reparations would impact employers, but it would be a redistribution of wealth back to where it should have gone to begin with.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
This is idiotic, as are the city regulations. All this will do will drive jobs and entire employers out of New York.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 AM

So it's idiotic to seek monetary reparation when you have been cheated out of the full value of your worth? Your arrogance is revolting.

No executive is going to go hungry should s/he suffer a pay cut or be laid off. The imbalance of power between employers and laborers in the hiring process is what led to outrageous executive overhead to begin with. Salary reparations would realign an employer's compensation structure to fair market levels. Those executives not willing to take a pay cut could seek employment elsewhere. Within the executive job market there is always someone who can do a better job at a lower rate - this would be especially beneficial in cases where current leadership is so comfortable in their role organizational operations are stale and going no where. Less resources to dole out to leadership would force a company to build a leaner, more effective administration for survival. Lean organizations are beneficial to consumers and also to employees.

A provider of localized services can shut down/move, but regional demand for that service does not go away. Companies need worker bees to survive, you can only cut so many before operations are rendered insufficient. The need for that labor force will be present as long as there is consumer demand for services, regardless of what company provides the services.

As far as companies based in New York that provide services remotely, they already are fleeing New York State. New York State is a **** show for employers. I don't think the fear of companies leaving New York State warrants the argument for salary reparations invalid.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:09 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
So it's idiotic to seek monetary reparation when you have been cheated out of the full value of your worth? Your arrogance is revolting.
Where do you suppose the funds will come from to pay these "reparations"? So your master plan is to make the government of NY pay the people of NY... out of the pockets of the people of NY. This is an effort to punish the government for making a nice new law (in your opinion) but not soon enough (in your opinion), and this punishment is dealt by raising taxes on the people. Who really gets punished?

Or perhaps you propose to raise taxes on employers, who are already squeezed with one of the highest combined effective tax rates in the country. Again... to punish the government.

Not really well thought through, this one.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 PM

I outlined where the money could come from in an earlier thread. It would not be a tax. It would be a company redistribution of compensation with cuts at the executive level funneled to lower level employees. Employers with operations subsidized by taxpayer dollars would be key targets.

"Punish the government for making a nice new law"??? How was mandated salary history disclosure a legal practice in the first place?? Why didn't the government intervene sooner? This practice has been debated for a very long time and it took the government until 2020 to pass legislation delegalizing it? It is THE key driver behind the suppression of wages in the labor market. The new law has set the precedent that mandated salary history disclosure was an unfair practice on the part of employers. It's a point I don't even have to argue. Arguing that point before this legislation passed would have been a huge waste of my time. So now that it has legally been declared an unfair practice, let's true up and correct for past economic injustice.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:35 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
This is a dumb thread. Those with the best skills get the best pay. pretty simple. If you're not getting the wage you want, look in the mirror. I think your employer, who signs your paycheck knows best. Sounds like you are suggesting inferior employees get paid the same as the good ones. Great way to loose your good employees. The free marketplace knows best.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
The new law has set the precedent that mandated salary history disclosure was an unfair practice on the part of employers. It's a point I don't even have to argue. Arguing that point before this legislation passed would have been a huge waste of my time. So now that it has legally been declared an unfair practice, let's true up and correct for past economic injustice.
Passing a new law is not the same as saying that all prior actions were "legally declared unfair". It just means that from the date of the new law and going forward, it is now prohibited. Said a different way, before this law passed, this was ENTIRELY LEGAL. Laws are a list of things that you can not do (or in some cases, must do). They are not a list of things that are "unfair".

So, restating your entire premise, employers did a thing until 2020 that they were 100% allowed to do, and now you want to retroactively punish them for following the rules in all prior years.

Imagine a world where retroactively punishing legal behavior were possible... yikes. Thank goodness for Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 in the United States Constitution so that this sort of scary belief cannot actually happen. This would be an "ex-post facto" law.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:01 AM

This is not a retroactive punishment. This is the realignment of wages to what they would be in a fair job market had employers not had the competitive advantage. The new law acknowledges there is an issue and guards against future damage but does nothing to true up the historical damage the practice caused the working class - which is what current wages are based on. This makes it very much a present day problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: