Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 05:52 PM

93,893 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmtb View Post
I lived in the Binghamton area for many years and move out a few years ago. Having said that, you may find the weather to be much more overcast and rainy than CA. It will be much colder in the winter months so make sure you have the right clothing! Hotkarl brought up an interesting point about the "land of NO". It is true to a large extent but I think the whole country is going that way. You can still find places that are open to recreational use including offroading. The cost of living can vary widely. Of course the metro areas will be stupid expensive but the small cities like Binghamton can be quite reasonable. They may not offer the excitement of the west.

Jobs are a concern if you are looking at upstate NY. In the southern tier area there is a large elderly population and a lot of health issues so I imagine there would be a need for EMTs. Other than that the economy can be depressed in a lot of places especially tech and manufacturing. In case the Ranger job doesn't pan out there are tons of low paid service oriented jobs.

If you have an in demand skill than small city areas can be cheap. If you have no experience then I am not sure there is an advantage to nesting in NY.
Metro areas Upstate are still relatively affordable, even the bigger Upstate metros. Employment will be a bigger factor, but there are some positions open. In fact, Upstate gets written off and many companies are looking for people with the relevant skills/education for the openings available, than some could actually find solid/good employment.

As for the culture of “no”, a co worker of mine hunts on his own property minutes from Syracuse(actually gave me venison steaks) and he has enough to zone some of it agricultural for others to farm it. So, this many just come down to knowing how to navigate the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 PM

60 posts, read 75,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Metro areas Upstate are still relatively affordable, even the bigger Upstate metros. Employment will be a bigger factor, but there are some positions open. In fact, Upstate gets written off and many companies are looking for people with the relevant skills/education for the openings available, than some could actually find solid/good employment.

As for the culture of “no”, a co worker of mine hunts on his own property minutes from Syracuse(actually gave me venison steaks) and he has enough to zone some of it agricultural for others to farm it. So, this many just come down to knowing how to navigate the system.
True, you can find some great hidden gems of land to do things on in NY. You have to work at keeping yourself entertained in upstate but there are plenty of things to do if you like the outdoors. Nice bike trails and tennis courts as well as kayaking.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 PM

11,660 posts, read 12,753,804 times
The OP claims to be a 20 year old, presumably without much experience or a college degree. Consider these factors when making a recommendation.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,276,157 times
For educational programs....

The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry is located at Syracuse University.
https://www.suny.edu/campuses/esf/

Also check out Paul Smith College up in the Adirondacks--my brother went there back in the 1970s. It's in the middle of nowhere Actually not too far from Lake Placid.
https://www.paulsmiths.edu/academics/all-programs/

Upstate New York is beautiful--don't let anyone discourage you!

Old 10-31-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The OP claims to be a 20 year old, presumably without much experience or a college degree. Consider these factors when making a recommendation.
I believe he is working on getting EMT certification before he even thinks about leaving.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard103 View Post
Hey everyone. I've lived in California all my life but am considering that perhaps I should make a future for myself elsewhere with the high cost of living among some other things driving many people out. I wanted to get an idea of other places, and considered New York. For some context I'm a 20M, black with a desired career to be a game warden or park ranger. I'm agnostic, sort of a left leaning centrist if anything but I don't feel strongly about politics.

Surprisingly, New York seems to have alot of forest land just taking a look at Google Maps, and the Department of Environmental conservation has around 300 conservation officers which is good. I'm not really overly concerned with having other black people around, so much as just not really having trouble due to having dark skin and kinky hair. I'm also not a hardcore skeptic type even if I generally don't dig organized religion. I am finishing training to be an EMT as well, so a job shouldn't be too hard to find. Is there anything I should know in general or about specific areas? I welcome any input, thanks.
Some other companies to look into...

https://www.bangsambulance.com/default.aspx (Ithaca)

https://www.monroeambulance.com/ (Rochester area)

Home | Mohawk Ambulance Service (Albany area)

https://www.hrapply.com/onellc/AppJo...dx=12&op=reset (Oneida Nation)

There are others, but those are some that you could consider in regards to that line of employment.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe he is working on getting EMT certification before he even thinks about leaving.
EMT's are in demand, but it's not a high paying job. You are trained over a period of months. It's not the equivalent of a college degree or even a community college degree.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
EMT's are in demand, but it's not a high paying job. You are trained over a period of months. It's not the equivalent of a college degree or even a community college degree.
I understand that, but at least he can be gainfully employed is the point. It isn’t like NYC is being suggested to him or that he has to stay as an EMT.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:16 PM

The OP has posted the same thing in other state forums.

He can be an EMT, but the idea of transitioning into a park ranger will be problematic at best.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:27 AM

Ok...That doesn't mean that it is impossible or he can't do it though. With that said, things can change in the near future and NY can still be an option. I will say that given what he is looking for and as another poster mentioned, I would look into programs once established like a community college program and/or schools like Paul Smith's and SUNY-ESF, among others. This would depend on where he would be located of course and what program is a good fit.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-02-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York