Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:26 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
So what is your definition of a problem building, or problem tenant specifically?
...Prior to retiring, I used my full time occupation as a means for pt employment. For 3 years this involved armed security at 3 subsidized apt complexes in a med sized urban area about 25 miles away. I did my best to take a low key friendly approach to this job. Fights, Drug dealing, etc....Maybe the item that left me the most disgusted was the squalor that tennants CHOSE to live in....half eaten food remains. vermin, wanton destruction of their new apts...and on and on. How people can live like that. I never understood. And in the course of dealing with these tennants...found that the vast majority had migrated from NYC....but appear to not have left their old ways behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 06:08 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,154,378 times
Quote:
You have a right to think that way, and the people in these complexes may be complacent, but I guarantee to you the entire complex has a reputation in the eyes of town officials and most town residents. Private management always is more efficient than government run entities.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...Prior to retiring, I used my full time occupation as a means for pt employment. For 3 years this involved armed security at 3 subsidized apt complexes in a med sized urban area about 25 miles away. I did my best to take a low key friendly approach to this job. Fights, Drug dealing, etc....Maybe the item that left me the most disgusted was the squalor that tenants CHOSE to live in....half eaten food remains. vermin, wanton destruction of their new apts...and on and on. How people can live like that. I never understood. And in the course of dealing with these tenants...found that the vast majority had migrated from NYC....but appear to not have left their old ways behind.

I agree. You give people a "leg up" on life, and they still don't take advantage of it, and do something positive with their lives. Yet these are the very same people that get all upset, when they feel that people are "looking down" at them. Of course, they're being looked down at.....do you see that kind of behavior in middle and upper class neighborhoods?

Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

I agree. You give people a "leg up" on life, and they still don't take advantage of it, and do something positive with their lives. Yet these are the very same people that get all upset, when they feel that people are "looking down" at them. Of course, they're being looked down at.....do you see that kind of behavior in middle and upper class neighborhoods?

You can't help someone who refuses to help themselves. $300,000 in schooling, preferred selection at jobs and college. Free housing. Free food. Free heat. Is it any wonder the upstate cities are the poorest in the nation.

We all complain about high taxes to fund these programs, but it hurts the recipient far more than the payer.

Nobody looks down on the people like urban politicians. I wouldn't allow people to demean me that way.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:38 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
You can't help someone who refuses to help themselves. $300,000 in schooling, preferred selection at jobs and college. Free housing. Free food. Free heat. Is it any wonder the upstate cities are the poorest in the nation.

We all complain about high taxes to fund these programs, but it hurts the recipient far more than the payer.

Nobody looks down on the people like urban politicians. I wouldn't allow people to demean me that way.
Way more complicated than what is stated here and it may not be true. This would get into other things like the same old annexation, incorporation, etc.

Also, where are you getting all of this other stuff from? I'm asking because it is stated like people should make a trade for this lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree.

I agree too. You don't need money or a fancy address to keep your home clean, practice good personal hygiene/take pride in your appearance, give your best effort to whatever job you have, ensure your children behave and take their education seriously. No one looks down on people who try. It's not about money. It's about character.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I agree too. You don't need money or a fancy address to keep your home clean, practice good personal hygiene/take pride in your appearance, give your best effort to whatever job you have, ensure your children behave and take their education seriously. No one looks down on people who try. It's not about money. It's about character.

BINGO!! Obviously you understand where I'm coming from.......

Old 11-15-2020, 10:03 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Most people who own their own home are pretty RED. Which is why Nassau and Suffolk where all red as seen by votes.

City is blue due to renters. That should explain what we are dealing with. They keep falling for Democratic bullcrap. Too stupid and brain swashed.
For the last several years, renters from the city who leans democrat move to suburban areas, buy a house and continue to vote for dems. The suburban areas that used to be red 5 years ago are now purple-blue. This is happening all over the country.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
For the last several years, renters from the city who leans democrat move to suburban areas, buy a house and continue to vote for dems. The suburban areas that used to be red 5 years ago are now purple-blue. This is happening all over the country.
Frustrating, isn't it???

Makes me think of the immigrants who come to the US from really backward, poorly developed countries, through different social agencies. You'd think they'd be happy for the opportunity, and try hard to adapt to the way things are done here. Instead, they continue to want to live like they did in their home country, and drag the US down to that level.

(and NO, I didn't say that all of the people are like that.....)

Old 11-16-2020, 08:14 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
What kind of renters though? That's the thing, as many of those renters are just people that might have gotten married and have moved to the suburbs like a lot of families of various political leanings do. There are suburbs that may and have leaned more Democratic for a while across the country. I dare say that some of the more affluent suburbs in metro areas may actually lean that way. So, I think people put waaaaaay too much stock into political affiliation(really in general due to people having various reasons for their affiliation) and in terms of the type of community. It is way more complicated than some people may think it is.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:17 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:

On a different site, there are some new people in the neighborhood. The area I live has lots of parties and fireworks. There's also lots of hunting. Always has. Now, a couple of newbies are complaining and want changes. Why can't people stay out of others business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York