Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 12:31 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
I am embarrassed to use this term but I guess it fits what we're doing... "digital nomads." But a lot of digital nomads travel internationally, we are sticking to the U.S. for now. We've been staying in each location for 2-3 months at a time but now we are wanting to do longer stays, 6-12 months per location. Top choices for longer term stays so far are Newport RI, Newburyport MA, and Ithaca NY. Also have kind of a second tier list of cities we're considering, we want to have several options and then pick the best rental that becomes available at the right time. Ultimately we'd like to try out a few locations for these longer-term stays, and if we happen to fall in love with a place we'll make that home.

I got to thinking about how Newport and Ithaca have certain things in common yet have such different flavors, and I am so drawn to both. Made me wonder if there was a place that's like a combination of the two cities. Got several suggestions in the Hudson River Valley area that could fit that description.

We lived in Buffalo for several years, my mom and sister live in Rochester, and my dearest friend lives in Auburn, so I am familiar with those parts of NY state, but we've never visited the Hudson Valley.

Some qualities and characteristics I appreciate are:
  • An overall historic feel
  • A great downtown that is pedestrian friendly
  • Not totally dominated by the 18-24 yr old crowd, prefer a mix of ages, families, retired folks, etc.
  • I don't know what to call this but in my General U.S. forum thread I called it "wonders" - like how Newport has the spectacular mansions and ocean views and Ithaca has awe-inspiring waterfalls. Something special that makes you feel like "wow I am lucky to live where I can see this all the time."
Places like Beacon and maybe even Hudson would be worth looking into in the region. New Paltz, though it has a state college, is another place that comes to mind. Saugerties and Warwick are more urban villages in the region with a little bit of an arts scene as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 01:35 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
That downstate region is bananas now.
It’s chock full of citiots and morons from Schlong Island.
More so now with the great covid migration of 2021. That region was always a bedroom area for city jerks and /or 2nd homeowners but it’s just off the charts now with jagoffs.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A somewhat related article...

HBO's 'Pretty Little Liars' seeks Hudson Valley locals to play extras: https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonval...0c7a6fca305390

From the article: "Production crews are preparing to return to the Hudson Valley this spring for the second season of the HBO Max series "Pretty Little Liars," and they’re currently looking for locals to join the cast.

The Hudson Valley film commission is seeking individuals 18 or older to play high school students and town residents in the latest season of the show, dubbed “Pretty Little Liars: Summer School.” Filming will take place in the mid-Hudson Valley from April through July of this year.

The pay rate for SAG-AFTRA union members will be $187 per eight hours of work, while non-union members will be paid $165 per 10 hours of work. Mandatory COVID-19 testing will be provided by production in Newburgh.

Those interested can register for free at gwci.app/talent or email their name, phone number, union status and current photos to pll@gwcnyc.com with “HUDSON VALLEY FILM COMMISSION” in the subject line.

The popular reboot has filmed in a variety of locations throughout the Capital Region, including the Schenectady Armory for its first season “Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin” starring Bailee Madison. Residents of Kingston’s Stockade District expressed frustration regarding the show’s production causing disruptions in the area last January.

HBO Max provided an emailed statement to the Times Union last year: “We are very thankful for the Hudson Valley community’s partnership and support for our productions, such as ‘Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin.’ Our goal is to have a positive impact by hiring locally and increasing commerce in Kingston and the surrounding towns.
Another filming in Kingston reference...Apple TV+ series 'Severance' filming in Kingston this week: https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonval...v-17850353.php

Old 03-22-2023, 08:28 PM

Some information about the Stockade District/Uptown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingst...ckade_District

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0pWhpyJfsnU&feature=share

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fKzEcB7paRpSiWiE8?g_st=ic

Old 04-06-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I would be opened minded in a sense that surrounding states have things you could be looking for. In other words, check out Vermont. Vermont has more mountain terrain and places that fit what you are looking for. You could take Route 7 to Burlington. I recommend you stopping in Manchester because they have a lot of things to offer in a small town. Manchester has a great hotel called the Equinox and the clothing store Orvis.
After looking at Manchester on Street view, it kind of reminds me of a little bit bigger, perhaps a little more upscale version of Old Forge. Manchester/Manchester Center: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1614...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1734...7i16384!8i8192

Old Forge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7101...7i13312!8i6656

The difference is that Old Forge is maybe only an hour from Utica, if that. Manchester seems to be a bit further from a decent sized city.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:29 PM

143 posts, read 111,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That downstate region is bananas now.
It’s chock full of citiots and morons from Schlong Island.
More so now with the great covid migration of 2021. That region was always a bedroom area for city jerks and /or 2nd homeowners but it’s just off the charts now with jagoffs.
I have to agree. And Ulster County is becoming more and more progressive with this city migration, with rents going sky-high. Kingston would probably come in right around last of places I'd want to live. Definitely nicer and more interesting on the east side of the Hudson river as far as the Hudson Valley is concerned.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:34 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
I have to agree. And Ulster County is becoming more and more progressive with this city migration, with rents going sky-high. Kingston would probably come in right around last of places I'd want to live. Definitely nicer and more interesting on the east side of the Hudson river as far as the Hudson Valley is concerned.
Ulster is crazy progressive now. Been trending that way for a while now.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:03 AM

^I agree and between artsy communities such as Woodstock, New Paltz and Saugerties; along with diverse communities such as Kingston and Ellenville, that isn’t a surprise.

I also think people Downstate assume that everything is rural/small town like or there aren’t places with diversity in terms of the people culturally/politically/etc. up here. While there are more homogeneous places, there are also places that vary.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:43 AM

506 posts, read 342,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
^ The bolded statement is something I asked about in the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post

Is there a notable difference being on one side of the Hudson or the other? Is the feel of the area the same whether you're west or east of the River?
I'm still curious about this so if anyone has opinions / explanations regarding east vs west of the Hudson please let me know.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:48 AM

I think the thing that is nice about being east of the Hudson is the train access to NYC and Albany. Also, places such as Hudson, Chatham, Rhinebeck, Red Hook, Hyde Park and Beacon are east of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York